Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2005, 6:25 am

Thank you for the links, SineWave.

So what does it mean if I only experience these symptoms some of the time?

SineWave
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2005, 7:04 am

I'm absolutely no expert, but it could indicate a panic attack:

http://anxiety.psy.ohio-state.edu/pd-dsm-i.htm

SineWave
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2005, 7:15 am

in response to the original post:

People with AS/Autism seem to have a very internal state of consciousness, with less interest in the sensory and social world. We just don’t really bother thinking about other people and their viewpoint of the world.

After a certain age you’re forced harder into the outside world… especially with the onset of high school. If you don’t have any interest in people, then you ignore them, and keep inside your own world. In order to keep inside your world, you have to filter reality. You only see the literal world. Especially in social circumstances.

DP seems to fit in nicely with AS, I think. DP allows you to withdraw from the world more.

AspieGirl
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jan 2005, 2:49 pm

Wow -- Nayashi -- I can't thank you enough for posting about this. I have been trying to put a name to this sensation that I experience for years. Sometimes -- and, interestingly, it usally happens when I am talking to someone I am close to (i.e. not a stranger) -- I feel as though I am right outside of the situation (not literally) and am not in touch with myself as a person anymore. It can seem as though I'm listening to myself talking on a recording -- that it's not me. And, I have this profound sense of -- whoa -- I don't really know me -- and I certainly don't know this other person I'm talking to.

But, my experience is very transitory -- for me, the whole experience probably lasts only 2 or 3 seconds. It has never frightened me -- although I've always thought it was quite bizarre. It happens maybe once a month to me -- not very often.

nayashi wrote:
civet:

you definately have either DP or DR, but if you only feel it with certian situations, you don't have the disorder. although mine is an extreme case, i have it 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

To me, it looks from the DSM IV definition that one can have the disorder even though the feeling is transitory >>

Diagnostic criteria for 300.6 Depersonalization Disorder:

A. Persistent or recurrent experiences of feeling detached from, and as if one is an outside observer of, one's mental processes or body (e.g., feeling like one is in a dream).

http://www.behavenet.com/capsules/disorders/depersdis.htm

Also, the Merck manual says >>

Symptoms may be temporary or persist or recur for many years.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec07/ch106/ch106e.html

I can't imagine how you experience your whole life like this. Whoa. Is it disturbing to you at all? Or is that simply how life is for you? I hope it doesn't cause you much distress.

Bobcat
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

01 Jan 2005, 3:39 pm

I wasn't aware of this condition. I was diagnosed with post-traumatic stress disorder. The symptoms are similar. If I'm in a situation where someone yells at me, humiliates me, I leave my body and enter a zone where I look on as an observer. I don't like to smoke pot or drink much alcohol because of the feeling I am leaving my body and losing control.

Civet
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2005, 5:52 pm

Quote:
I don't like to smoke pot or drink much alcohol because of the feeling I am leaving my body and losing control.

I've never done any pot, but I also don't like drinking alcohol because I tend to lose the sense of my body. The one time I got "tipsy," all I remember is staring at my feet trying to remember where they were as I wandered around Newbury Comics with my brother, and bumping into a lot of people :? . It was quite unpleasant.

Quote:
A. Persistent or recurrent experiences of feeling detached from, and as if one is an outside observer of, one's mental processes or body (e.g., feeling like one is in a dream).

True, it does say that.

My experiences are less fleeting than yours, when I have them, the full sensation lasts for several minutes to several hours, and the after effects don't usually go fully away until I go to sleep.

Nim
Veteran
Veteran

08 Sep 2008, 12:12 am

Forum hopping via google for exactly this. ;)

I'm a aspie - no friends - with high social anxiety... and I have a car I owe 16000 on outside to prove it (I couldn't handle a car pool - too much stimulation). I always figured watching captain planet when I was younger that I'd want to carpool more - but alas, I'm selfish. I've always made people mad tho - randomly - and as such I grew accustomed to not caring about myself. So, when I was younger (highschool years) and with the onset of highschool I noticed things slightly medically wrong with me. And since I felt I shouldn't care about myself or bother people in life with my problems - because I wasn't part of life. I ignored them and instead worried.

Which around 13 led to me waking up with myself feeling as if I where in the back of my mind and running more on instinct - it was sudden one morning. So I could pull myself out of it, but would get dragged back into it, and while I was I would have reduced sensory feeling - touch, taste, smell. My eye sight would feel differen't and I'd feel as if I wheren't hearing the same. And it became harder and harder for me to pull myself out of it - until finally, a year or so later ... it was complete, and only got worse and worse. To present day, 10 years later - now - when I feel naturally depersonalized but still can realize (for split seconds) of where I am and who I am - but its not a true, "alive" realization, its more of a moment of "wow, I'm here in person". Not so much a full awakening - because if I woke up all the way it would be more of a "omfg, wow".

I tend to believe my aspies led me to be socially inappropriate which in turn led me to be more of a risk factor in dp because of my unwillingness to cope with life on a "human" level. Ignoring what was problems with my life - probably led to me being scared emotionally - which led to the dp - and I only remembered about 3 months ago that - dp actually followed the trama. Which is why I worried more when it happened.

*shrugs* ... If you guys wanted a answer from a actual dp/aspie tho, there it is. And aspiegirl - that happens to me quite often (normally when anyone speaks to me) .. its become common place and doesn't even startle me now - I must look like a bug caught in headlights when I'm talking to people... lol.

Oh, and SineWave, it was good hearing that theory... my past phsy told me my "aspies" was the reason I noticed my skin felt differen't, etc etc... Which might be an idea, but I believe the latter - dp is the cause of my feeling/conciousness problem. When I told her that she said "well, goodbye... I have no treatment for that if thats what you think you have".