Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Blueskygirl
Raven
Raven

02 Nov 2010, 11:20 pm

If you had this through Occupational Therapy, what did you think of it? Did you like it? Did you find it helpful?

DandelionFireworks
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2010, 2:37 am

My caveat here is that I don't remember the precise terms for what I had in OT, but have studied the matter a little bit outside of simply experiencing it, so I feel qualified to answer what I think you're asking.

I'm guessing you're asking if it's worth doing. And my answer to that is that it's DEFINITELY worth doing, under the following circumstances:
1. It's done willingly. No forcing.
2. The sensory issues are actually enough of an annoyance to be worth the cost (in money, time, stress) of fixing them.

And with the caveat that I've never seen anything that would completely normalize a very out-of-whack sensory system. I had AIT and went from common noise-induced meltdowns to rare mild overloads that lasted a second or two, with occasional returns to my previous level of tolerance; my friend had it and seems to have the same amount of trouble as before, but now without the earplugs. Not precisely what you're talking about, though. Nothing I got through OT was permanent, except maybe a nearly-imperceptible improvement in my vestibular system. But OT can still be really helpful, done right.

NOT A DOCTOR