Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Aspieallien
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Nov 2010, 3:03 am

I have difficulty processing and remembering verbal instruction. I find I have to write things down so I can visualise.

Does anyone else have this problem.

Shebakoby
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 3:06 am

Not only do I get this, but sometimes I misinterpret verbal instructions instead of forgetting them.

RW665
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 3:07 am

All the time.

Aspieallien
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

05 Nov 2010, 3:26 am

I forget and misinterpret. If my boss gives me several verbal instructions I will acknowledge them, walk back to my desk and struggle to process and interpret what it is I have to do. This can be really draining. If I don't write things down I am lost.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 4:16 am

Aspieallien wrote:
I have difficulty processing and remembering verbal instruction. I find I have to write things down so I can visualise.

Does anyone else have this problem.

Yes, and I have a difficult time convincing people of it because I can remember long strings of sound.....provided I intake it as sound without meaning.

pgd
Veteran
Veteran

05 Nov 2010, 11:01 am

Aspieallien posted: I have difficulty processing and remembering verbal instruction. I find I have to write things down so I can visualise. Does anyone else have this problem.
---
Yes. You might look at terms like Central Auditory Processing Disorder (CAPD) - Auditory Processing Disorder (APD) - and read a book like the How To (understand) Hyperactivity book (1981) about ADHD Inattentive by C. Thomas Wild which discusses auditory processing in great depth and reports several FDA approved medicines which can temporarily improve very small aspects of hearing a little (not a cure). There are persons who can process written information instantly but take up to three days or so to process a telephone conversation.