Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

What do you use as a Facebook profile pic?
yourself 60%  60%  [ 29 ]
a tv/movie character 6%  6%  [ 3 ]
a place (real or imagined) 2%  2%  [ 1 ]
an animal 17%  17%  [ 8 ]
a toy 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
something else 15%  15%  [ 7 ]
Total votes : 48

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 12:52 am

If you are on Facebook, what do you use as your profile pic? (Thinking in generalities, not specifics.)

I use "a place" right now, but have used animals and characters before.

I started wondering if people with ASD were more likely to not use pictures of themselves.

23andaspie
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jan 2015, 2:31 am

I actually disabled my Facebook. It was making me depressed having hundreds of NT "friends" yet feeling completely alone and that no one understood me at all.

I'm on Google+ and Twitter and I do currently use pics. One of my special interests especially during a particular time was in bear cubs, so I used a bear cub as my image on my 23andaspie.com tumblr.

Do you feel like you do it out of self-consciousness? I was very much so in the past, to the point that it was contributing to my suicidal ideations, but my use of bear avatars was more out of it being a "special interest". XD And not wanting to reveal my actual identity on that particular tumblr.

PS let's be friends?

Skibz888
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 3:29 am

I honestly don't see the point in using anything but a picture of yourself for your personal profile. To me, that's like making an acting resume and including a random picture instead of a headshot.

progaspie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 3:45 am

Feel the same. What's the point of using Facebook unless you use a photo of yourself as the profile pic?

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 6:50 am

Almost 100% of my FB friends know me IRL, so I don't need a picture for people to know what I look like.

I suppose that leads to another question about accepting friend requests from people you don't know IRL. I personally have a private profile and don't accept friend requests from people I don't know IRL.

I use a place because it inspires me and thus tells a bit about me.

I don't like most pictures of myself. I hate getting pictures taken and am never satisfied with the outcome. I'm not really happy with my looks and pictures make it worse. I also hate getting tagged in pictures.

I would delete my account except that is the only way I ever know what is going on. FB is just about the extent of my social life.

_Cure_
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Jan 2015, 8:47 am

I don't have any friends IRL therefore no one really knows me there. I used several avatar throughout the years.
Recently I put a picture of myself but I plan to remove it soon with the FB account as well. I don't use it at all and I only activate it now and then to log into certain websites.

About a year I used to be on facebook often, got tired of it after it seemed to me that being of facebook is not socializing at all and the things people post on facebook are things that no one cares. The illusion of having a social life because of facebook or other social media seems to be quite damaging to the subject. I'd be telling a lie to myself in a self-deception position and avoiding a truth to make me feel better and this is ethically wrong.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jan 2015, 11:10 pm

_Cure_ wrote:
I don't have any friends IRL therefore no one really knows me there. I used several avatar throughout the years.
Recently I put a picture of myself but I plan to remove it soon with the FB account as well. I don't use it at all and I only activate it now and then to log into certain websites.

About a year I used to be on facebook often, got tired of it after it seemed to me that being of facebook is not socializing at all and the things people post on facebook are things that no one cares. The illusion of having a social life because of facebook or other social media seems to be quite damaging to the subject. I'd be telling a lie to myself in a self-deception position and avoiding a truth to make me feel better and this is ethically wrong.

The things most of my FB "friends" post is about real stuff going on. Not deep stuff, but stuff that keeps me "current" with their lives. I do not fool myself into thinking that I have *real* friends because of it. *Real* friends are those people who think of me specifically in-between the times I see or speak to them, and let me know it in various ways. I only have a very few of those. Also, I will share my feelings with *real* friends. I will usually only share happenings, funny things, and opinions on FB.

SpaceAgeBushRanger
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Jan 2015, 2:47 am

I regard all social media as a performance for potential employers and hypothetical stalkers. I assume that sooner or later someone is going to do something inappropriate involving my picture, so I try and make it difficult for them by only ever using a unflattering photo. That, and I'm too lazy to get a glamour shot.

For my Facebook image, I want to use an image of myself wearing a white woolen jumper in a field of sheep, with a considerable distance between me and a camera. My status would invite my Facebook 'friends' to find me in the image, and an alternate version in which I am circled would be included in one of the albums. Basically, I want to start a Where's-Wally-style selfie craze. It wouldn't be the silliest thing to come from social media.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jan 2015, 3:18 am

I have a picture of myself right now, but in the past I've had all sorts of weird things, animals, cartoon characters, and weirder stuff.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

Mort
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Jan 2015, 10:41 am

I usually use pictures of myself, but sometimes I use pictures of other things that are more of a reflection of me or how I feel at the moment. Because sometimes words are insufficient to describe how I feel, or people just don't want to hear about it.

My headshot here is of me, but with a mask... which is, in a way, how the NT world sees me.

Shadow Wolf
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Jan 2015, 11:55 am

I use a picture of myself, but it's one I photoshoped to turn my skin undead/paper white. Not that I needed much help achieving that having Irish and German heritage, but it's still pretty cool.

_Cure_
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Jan 2015, 12:03 pm

nerdygirl wrote:
_Cure_ wrote:

The things most of my FB "friends" post is about real stuff going on. Not deep stuff, but stuff that keeps me "current" with their lives. I do not fool myself into thinking that I have *real* friends because of it. *Real* friends are those people who think of me specifically in-between the times I see or speak to them, and let me know it in various ways. I only have a very few of those. Also, I will share my feelings with *real* friends. I will usually only share happenings, funny things, and opinions on FB.

You do fool yourself because you cannot do otherwise, your brain doesn't know the difference between real and virtual socalization and the changes that occur in it are pretty much the same (every facebook notification releases dopamine regardless of you being conscious of the social media).

Sharing anything on facebook has the implicit premise of reciprocal caring, since a facebook account without friends would be useless every opinion shared was shared because *mattered* to someone. The fact is that what people usually share on facebook doesn't matter to anyone and no one cares, but still people gives likes and comments (and dopamine kicks in for the one who receives them) because it requires no effort at all give a like or post "haha". When a group behave like this, they reinforce their views about the social media making it more real until the whole society suffers the same mindlessness.

Related: The Psychology of Facebook.

nerdygirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 6:49 am

_Cure_ wrote:
nerdygirl wrote:
_Cure_ wrote:

You do fool yourself because you cannot do otherwise, your brain doesn't know the difference between real and virtual socalization and the changes that occur in it are pretty much the same (every facebook notification releases dopamine regardless of you being conscious of the social media).

Sharing anything on facebook has the implicit premise of reciprocal caring, since a facebook account without friends would be useless every opinion shared was shared because *mattered* to someone. The fact is that what people usually share on facebook doesn't matter to anyone and no one cares, but still people gives likes and comments (and dopamine kicks in for the one who receives them) because it requires no effort at all give a like or post "haha". When a group behave like this, they reinforce their views about the social media making it more real until the whole society suffers the same mindlessness.

Related: The Psychology of Facebook.

Well, FB allows me to keep in contact with people far away. Also, I have gotten private messages from some people thanking me for what I shared. I have sent some private messages to people about something they shared on FB. It is not the same as friends IRL, but it does have some value.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 11:52 am

progaspie wrote:
Feel the same. What's the point of using Facebook unless you use a photo of yourself as the profile pic?

The problem with using a picture of yourself, as a profile picture, is that it can get stolen, and used ANYWHERE (online or off), without your permission----I guess the reason is because once you post a picture, it becomes "Public Domain". I've heard of MANY stories about people having their picture stolen off of FB, and someone using it in an ad, for instance. I've stolen LOTS of pictures off of the Internet----NOT real people----like, pics of celebrities, recipes, crafts, inspirational sayings, etc.

I have, sort-of, a cartoon picture of myself, that I made in some ap, online. The only thing about it, that looks like me, is that it has brown hair, a purple shirt, and ear-rings. I was disappointed that they didn't have one, with longer hair. Also, I have the tightest security, offered, on my account; and, if I had any other way of talking to my sister, and my god-daughter, I wouldn't even HAVE an account.

olympiadis
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2015, 3:14 pm

I try to use a meaningful image, but not of myself.

theglenster
Raven
Raven

16 Jan 2015, 6:15 am

normaly my FB profile pic is of an animal doing something stupid or something randem that people that know me would understand, which i change on almost a daily basis. i never use my own pic becuase i dont want to be found. i only add people that ive actualy met IRL.
i must say though facebook was rather life changing for me. for 30 years i had no real social contact in my freetime as someone that cant realy make or keep friends its been amazing. someone persuaded me to join and i now have many people that i comunicate daily with. i have not looked back since. :D