Psychopathy, Asperger's: a 'serious' combination

Page 5 of 6 [ 84 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 2:41 am

alexptrans wrote:
What do you guys think about this article?

I belief it's true.

But I also think it's tricky to diagnose people you never met.

Bifford
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Apr 2013, 7:28 am

It's hard to believe. I've always thought of psychopathy and Asperger's as mutually exclusive conditions. Psychopaths are extroverts, aspies are introverts. Psychopaths crave excitement and new stimulations, whilst Aspies love routine and hate novelty. Psychopaths have shallow emotions, whereas Aspies have deep emotions with poor self-awareness. Psychopaths are often very charming, but Aspies are usually boorish. Psychopaths are brilliant liars, but Aspies tend to be clumsy liars.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 7:40 am

Bifford wrote:
It's hard to believe. I've always thought of psychopathy and Asperger's as mutually exclusive conditions. Psychopaths are extroverts, aspies are introverts. Psychopaths crave excitement and new stimulations, whilst Aspies love routine and hate novelty. Psychopaths have shallow emotions, whereas Aspies have deep emotions with poor self-awareness. Psychopaths are often very charming, but Aspies are usually boorish. Psychopaths are brilliant liars, but Aspies tend to be clumsy liars.

Every combination in psychiatry is possible.
I've seen borderline PD autistics, narcissistic autistics, schizophrenic autistics and so on.

Last edited by Raziel on 27 Apr 2013, 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tyri0n
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Douchebag Capital of the World (aka Washington D.C.)

27 Apr 2013, 10:34 am

AnotherKind wrote:
"Psychopathy (/saɪˈkɒpəθi/[1][2]) is a mental disorder characterized primarily by a lack of empathy and remorse, shallow emotions, egocentricity, and deceptiveness. Psychopaths are highly prone to antisocial behavior and abusive treatment of others, and are very disproportionately responsible for violent crime when in a violent emotional state or situation. Though lacking empathy and emotional depth, they often manage to pass themselves off as average individuals by feigning emotions and lying about their past."

It sounds like Asperger :lol:
Hell yes!

Actually, it does sound a bit like me, an aspie, except I am not violent and never have been. I especially identified with "Though lacking empathy and emotional depth, they often manage to pass themselves off as average individuals by feigning emotions and lying about their past." I have to fake empathetic (sympathetic?) emotions many times. I am very antisocial sometimes and intensely dislike those around me.

I think all these things overlap. But I think what sets psychopathy apart is illegal and violent behavior. If you don't engage in any of this, then you are not a psychopath. Or antisocial PD. You probably have a form of Asperger's.

Raziel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 10:59 am

An interesting study:

Distinct cortical correlates of autistic versus antisocial traits in a longitudinal sample of typically developing youth.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22492041

So far I know is the overlapp between ASD and AsPD minor, especially between AS and AsPD, but a bit higher between PDD-NOS and AsPD. Interestingly there is a great overlapp between psychoathy and antisocial traits and ADHD.

Highlander852456
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Apr 2013, 2:21 pm

Bifford wrote:

You are sort of contradicting your self, because if someone has higher IQ he / she will probably be interested in new things.

Asperger people like routine, but there are many who do not have such routines. I would not put all people in a single bag. Not to mention that psychopaths are known to have routines too.

As for emotions that is true. Psychopaths display almost no emotions vs Asperger people.

As for Asperger liars or not, I have a theory that people with Asperger can become liars under stressful conditions as such. It could be a defens mechanism to avoid stress and fatigue.

As for charm that depends on conditioning. I think some Asperger people can clearly be charming, no doupt. Just, because some do not care to dress well or do not know how to or just because so many have trouble following social interaction does not mean all people with Asperger fail at socializing.

nessa238
Veteran
Veteran

27 Apr 2013, 2:43 pm

In my opinion it's two separate spectrums and they intersect sometimes

And I'd rather read about psychopaths than aspies as they are generally more interesting

Bifford
Butterfly
Butterfly

28 Apr 2013, 11:22 am

Highlander852456 wrote:
Bifford wrote:

You are sort of contradicting your self, because if someone has higher IQ he / she will probably be interested in new things.

Asperger people like routine, but there are many who do not have such routines. I would not put all people in a single bag. Not to mention that psychopaths are known to have routines too.

As for emotions that is true. Psychopaths display almost no emotions vs Asperger people.

As for Asperger liars or not, I have a theory that people with Asperger can become liars under stressful conditions as such. It could be a defens mechanism to avoid stress and fatigue.

As for charm that depends on conditioning. I think some Asperger people can clearly be charming, no doupt. Just, because some do not care to dress well or do not know how to or just because so many have trouble following social interaction does not mean all people with Asperger fail at socializing.

All these adjectives you use are value judgments. I don't know how you're supposed to measure "charm" or "need for routine" or "ability to lie" ("Oh, I guess I'm kind of like a psychopath because I lied that one time to my best friend"). I can't really offer you any solid arguments. All I can say is that I've read books on psychopaths and books on asperger's sufferers and they seem like completely different people to me. Take that for what you will.

FranzOren
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2021, 11:13 am

Is it possible that I might end up committing crimes without meaning to do so if I don't understand what people are trying to tell me or if I am in panic? I have ASD.

Prof. Sam Vaknin explained that people with HFA (like me) can do something stressful or distressful and that people like me with HFA could commit crimes without meaning to do so or are in panic, because people like me don’t have very good social skills.

I feel scared and confused! Because statistics and studies point out that people with mental health and developmental disorders are less likely to commit crimes and are ten times more likely to be victims than the general population.

Source:

http://mentalhealth.gov/basics/mental-h ... yths-facts

Statistics and studies of mental health, development and personalities are similar in almost all over the world.

Prof. Sam Vaknin explained that only people with HFA (High-functioning Autism) can have conduct disorders and I am one of them. I am a High-functioning person with ASD who also has a diagnosis of Conduct Disorder Unspecified.

https://youtu.be/7GjuAdqi1nA