Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Jan 2011, 9:56 pm

That is hand flapping.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:21 pm

Yeah. Two different kinds. (Me mostly doing one with a little of the other, Anne entirely doing the other.)

Ahaseurus2000
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2011, 10:48 pm

With http://help4aspergers.com/pb/wp_a58d4f6 ... 1d2ab3.JPG , some of the differences listed between Aspie Males and Females mirrors differences between NT males and females, especially openness about talking about feelings.

The unusual interests example is not unusual when you consider it as a narrow interest in "a mechanical object". A few of the traits in the intellectual/emotional columns can be applied to men.

I would say these aspie differences between genders disprove the idea that Asperger's Syndrome is "Extreme-Male-Brain-ness", if the idea was correct then we would see very fewer differences between women and men on the spectrum.

I also came across other information, that describes some fundamental differences between male and female behaviour that are genetically and neurologically encoded, and I have observed evidence (in myself and from interactions with other aspies), that these genes may be less likely to be affected by Asperger's Syndrome, beyond those that give the neurological ability to naturally interpret figurative and social information.

manBrain
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2011, 3:27 am

hmm interesting question.

I find that er, "officially" I rate as more "male-brained" than most males.
This tends to be measured in terms of black-and-whiteness, pattern recognition, mechanical awareness and systematic thinking. These aspects are considered neurologcially masculine.

I think that I do have more facial expressiveness than aspie males that I have met, but my facial expressions do not necessarily correspond to internal emotional conditions. Others find it difficult to read my expressions. I prefer to say "I think" rather than "I feel".

I do analyse and discuss social interactions to some extent, mostly some time after the interaction has taken place.
This could count as talking about feelings... though generally it is analysis of behaviour.
I think that the female person with AS has more expectation from society, to be socially proficient. This may result in more energy being applied to social analysis.
I attempt to apply pattern recognition and mechanical process concepts to social interaction.
This often does not work very effectively.