Would you feel anxious if your room got shaken regularly?

Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 10:59 am

(And I don't mean James Bond-style.)

Shaken by huge vehicles passing by... I can just feel every vibration. I find my anxiety levels rising up when I have no music on etc. and I can also hear the vibrations, but I often feel anxious for no apparent reason throughout the day and I think this is why. In the night, when it virtually doesn't happen (there's five hours when buses don't pass by) I feel as calm as a feather.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 11:03 am

It would be annoying, that's for sure. You couldn't predict it.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

YellowBanana
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 11:14 am

Our house is shaken frequently by large vehicles (which aren't supposed to go down our road due to a weak bridge but do so anyway).

It used to put me on edge but we've been here for 3 years now and I'm mostly used to it. Occasionally a particularly big one will go past and the shake will be bigger than normal and I still have trouble with those.

Generally though I'm a person who likes the sense of vibration (I love being in the cinema when the sound is loud enough to shake the seat, for example, and I love the vibration on trains etc) so perhaps that is why it doesn't bother me so much anymore.

onks
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

04 Oct 2012, 12:39 pm

Mootoo wrote:

Shaken by huge vehicles passing by... I can just feel every vibration. I find my anxiety levels rising up when I have no music on etc. and I can also hear the vibrations, but I often feel anxious for no apparent reason throughout the day and I think this is why. In the night, when it virtually doesn't happen (there's five hours when buses don't pass by) I feel as calm as a feather.

That's serious stress. Even for NTs, which maybe dont react with anxiety.
Still that will increase their stress level.
No good.

theWanderer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:31 pm

It would make me more than nervous. I'd go completely barking mad.

===================
In the country of the blind, the one eyed man - would be diagnosed with a psychological disorder

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 1:56 pm

It's a half mile to the nearest public road. At best, you can occasionally hear a truck. It never causes any rumbling.

However, we used to be in the flight path of some low level training flights. For years, it wasn't unusual to see a group of B-52s fly over about 200-300 feet off of the ground one at a time about a minute apart.

Even those didn't seem to really shake anything, though. It was fun to watch them fly over, though.

BrokenBill
Toucan
Toucan

04 Oct 2012, 2:22 pm

'Ding' 8O

Oh crap, theres another ASD thing I hadn't linked to my situation.
We have coal trains go past 5 or 6 kilometres away and the rumblings and I suppose vibrations arrive before the screeching of the wheels on track.
I always wake up before my wife even though I have hearing damage.

I can't imagine how bad heavy vehicles passing by outside your place would be :(

You are very likely an Aspie

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 2:25 pm

I live in Southern California. There is at least one 3.0 earthquake within 100 miles every 24 hours. If my room is not shaken at least once each day, I get anxious waiting for the "Big One" to happen.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Jaden
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 3:21 pm

Mootoo wrote:

There's very little time when my room isn't shaken, here it's everything from people banging on the floor and walls to vehicles passing by (mostly truckers it seems like). So I'm actually used to it, but noise drives me crazy.

Logicalmom
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 3:24 pm

I lived on the coast for a while and I hated earthquakes. Every time there was the least bit of vibration, I was sure it was the onset of another earthquake. I was always stressed about this. When we moved way inland, out of the 'zone', it still took me months to settle down. Every time a large truck passed, I just freaked. It's funny because I grew up close to a sawmill and train tracks and I actually found them comforting. Yet another: go figure.

Mootoo
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 4:51 pm

You know, that's what I hate about my situation: there are no earthquakes in the UK, or very rarely at least, and yet the vibrations are very much like mini-quakes.

At least in California you got beaches... the closest I got to that is an ugly indoor council-owned pool that the council itself rated as being non-energy friendly.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:19 pm

I feel that way due to the fact that I live in an earthquake zone and every time I feel my room shake, I think it's the big one and a lot of people are going to die.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 5:42 pm

My neighbor would play his music so loudly it would shake my entire apartment. I would feel very angry and upset and anxious. I never liked bass. I have no clue what would have happened if he did it all the time. He quit playing it loud enough after I complained to the landlord a few times so my apartment didn't shake anymore. But I still felt the vibration. I hated it and tried my hardest putting up with it. Thank god he didn't play it all the time. I started marking it on my calender and saw he didn't play it all that often but it seemed like a lot.

We also live on a busy street now so we sometimes get a car passing by with loud bass music on and it vibrates in my room. But it's usually at night. I am anxiously waiting for it to be gone and I am happy about it being a car because they go by so fast and the bass be gone with it too.

At least I don't mind hearing cars passing by and they don't vibrate my room.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

BunnyMum
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Oct 2012, 5:59 pm

I was in the big Christchurch, NZ quakes and even though I don't live there anymore I still freak out when I feel the house shake (from wind, cars etc). Very bad for my already shaky nerves!

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 6:07 pm

Mootoo wrote:

I haven't seen all the James Bond movies and can't figure out what the "James Bond-style" means. So what does that mean?

invisiblesilent
Veteran
Veteran

04 Oct 2012, 8:02 pm

I used to live in a flat, in an old Victorian building, on a busy main road and lorries (and even powerful cars) driving past would regularly cause the whole place to shake. I had no idea what AS or even anxiety disorders were at the time but I do remember that I was regularly very anxious there; I suppose it's entirely possible that the constant noise and vibrations were a major causative factor in that anxiety because, since I learned that I have GAD and/or probably AS, I have noticed the pattern that many of my anxiety episodes are triggered by loud and/or unpredictable noises.