Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 1:20 am

Alert cards. They are for emergency services to help when you are non-communicative or do not understand actions. Does anyone have an alert card? How did you get one? I just emailed the WAS about it. I hadn't heard of cards before. Only last night on the BBC News did I learn about it.

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 2:30 am

I believe that the NAS supply alert cards. They cost money though, hence I haven't bothered! If you think it will help you though then go ahead :)

Jacs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2011, 5:49 am

Do you mean something like this http://www.medipal.org.uk/

You can also get a container (from Boots I think) that has a form inside; you fill it in with your next of kin, medical issues, other probs etc. You then leave it inside your fridge and put a sticker on the outside to show any one looking that its there.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 6:22 am

I was thinking about getting a tattoo on my forehead that says - I'M AUTISTIC, NIMROD! PUSH OFF!

Then again, maybe just a Medic Alert bracelet would be better.

http://www.medicalert.org/

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 9:54 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
I was thinking about getting a tattoo on my forehead that says - I'M AUTISTIC, NIMROD! PUSH OFF!

Then again, maybe just a Medic Alert bracelet would be better.

http://www.medicalert.org/

Tattoo not needed... cafepress have t-shirts!

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 10:07 am

I really, really would reject the idea of wearing anything like that unless it is absolutely necessary (which I doubt). If you have submissive body language, it basically gives people a licence to abuse and mistreat you in all sorts of ways.

Don't do it. Avoid this course of action at all costs. You're advertising your weakness for the world to see.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 10:16 am

Tequila wrote:
I really, really would reject the idea of wearing anything like that unless it is absolutely necessary (which I doubt). If you have submissive body language, it basically gives people a licence to abuse and mistreat you in all sorts of ways.

Don't do it. Avoid this course of action at all costs. You're advertising your weakness for the world to see.

I have the ability to go from a "submissive" posture to a hyper aware "fighting stance" in the blink of an eye. NT's find it quite unnerving because they assume I'm a push over because my sense of focus is not always in the immediate, here and now and when they do something that sets off a red flag I pop into focus. Not sure where I picked it up, but somewhere I figured out that a little bit of a crazy eyed look keeps people at bay.

That said, I would never advertise the sentiment suggested by my tattoo quip. No point in inviting trouble.

SyphonFilter
Veteran
Veteran

Location: The intersection of Inkopolis’ Plaza & Square where the Turf Wars lie.

20 May 2011, 10:23 am

If you have a medical condition where a Medic Alert bracelet could be a lifesaver (for example, epilepsy or diabetes) then getting a bracelet would be very helpful. However, I don't think that an ASD warrants the use of a medical bracelet.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 11:09 am

SyphonFilter wrote:
If you have a medical condition where a Medic Alert bracelet could be a lifesaver (for example, epilepsy or diabetes) then getting a bracelet would be very helpful. However, I don't think that an ASD warrants the use of a medical bracelet.

A Medic Alert might be good for an autistic if they have communication difficulties in stressful situations and a medical emergency can be quite stressful.

I am type 2 diabetic. I don't have a Medic Alert bracelet. If I get one I will probably leave my ASD off it. I can't think of a good reason to have it on there.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

20 May 2011, 11:47 am

I made one up and printed it; then laminated it. It basically says "High Functioning Autism may present as intoxication, or non-cooperative behavior. Please do not restrain or shine bright lights into eyes in the event of accident or emergency". I have a condensed version of that on a MedicAlert bracelet. I also put a small sticker on my drivers' license because I'd always get questioned/hassled by police if I get pulled over for a burned out bulb, etc... It would often escalate to drunk checks, and accusations of drug abuse when I'd pass the drunk test. The all kinds of loaded questions, and embarrassment, and even threats because the police might think I'm being difficult or sassy.

I'm worried for my own sake, as I know that I'm strong enough to accidentally kill a paramedic, or a policeman by hand, if I were to be held or restrained in an emergency. I was once in the hospital for a test, and even at age 8 or 9, I was pretty big, and I was very confused by the drug to cause sleep, and I ripped the steel railing off the gurney, and tried to break into a closed elevator. And I don't remember doing that! Scary.

Charles

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 12:04 pm

kx250rider wrote:
I made one up and printed it; then laminated it. It basically says "High Functioning Autism may present as intoxication, or non-cooperative behavior. Please do not restrain or shine bright lights into eyes in the event of accident or emergency". I have a condensed version of that on a MedicAlert bracelet. I also put a small sticker on my drivers' license because I'd always get questioned/hassled by police if I get pulled over for a burned out bulb, etc... It would often escalate to drunk checks, and accusations of drug abuse when I'd pass the drunk test. The all kinds of loaded questions, and embarrassment, and even threats because the police might think I'm being difficult or sassy.

I'm worried for my own sake, as I know that I'm strong enough to accidentally kill a paramedic, or a policeman by hand, if I were to be held or restrained in an emergency. I was once in the hospital for a test, and even at age 8 or 9, I was pretty big, and I was very confused by the drug to cause sleep, and I ripped the steel railing off the gurney, and tried to break into a closed elevator. And I don't remember doing that! Scary.

Charles

OK. I can see this as being a good reason.

abyssquick
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

20 May 2011, 12:24 pm

kx250rider wrote:

Charles

I have contemplated doing the same thing. A sticker for my Driver's License. I keep getting pulled over for walking, and it always escalates to detainment, frisking, questioning, and so on, 8 times in the last year. A line of sight policy - they see me, they stop me. As the 4th amendment diminishes almost entirely in the USA, I feel I have to resort to some kind of alert or warning sticker if police are going to be allowed to stop anybody for any reason.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 12:25 pm

I wouldn't go that route. I've been spending my whole life proving my strength. I don't need people to see how vulnerable I really am and use that to their advantage.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 1:55 pm

Have a card in my wallet that says "I have autism" and explains what it means. Also have it on my Medic Alert bracelet (also have type I diabetes so am wearing bracelet either way).

Is necessary because am not entirely verbal, sometimes not at all, and sometimes don't hear/respond appropriately. Also have tendency to hit or lash out if touched unexpectedly, and paramedics need to know that.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

20 May 2011, 4:43 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
That said, I would never advertise the sentiment suggested by my tattoo quip. No point in inviting trouble.

I was referring to the T-shirt above anything else, plus the tattoo. It's like advertising "ABUSE ME" on your head. Great in the bedroom with truly consenting partners but a deranged idea anywhere else.

I can see the point of a medic alert bracelet/card but this should only be used in situations with police and so on. Using it when someone is bashing you will only give them further ammunition to bash you, or to take it much further than they otherwise would.

squonk
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2011, 6:44 am

Tequila wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

I was referring to the T-shirt above anything else, plus the tattoo. It's like advertising "ABUSE ME" on your head. Great in the bedroom with truly consenting partners but a deranged idea anywhere else.

That I can understand now but while I'm still waiting for my card, I can say that having that in my wallet in cases of emergency where I have before been known to mute, it would hardly be advertising my condition.