Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

zeldapsychology
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:32 pm

I've been here for a few years as an Aspie telling my problems etc. and decided to read Guide to Asperger's Syndrome by Tony Attwood. After finishing it I broke down into tears!! !! ! I related to every chapter. I realized I'm not alone and there are so many more traits that I have and things that I do practically everything I DO is Asperger's based. So as you guys saw I posted a "Thank You" post and sent messages to a few WP friends. (If I had anyone I would of cried into there shoulder) It was a emotional breaking point or something. I also read another book Toxic Parents which helped me describe my parents/family well. Plus the past few days I've lessened my involvement with family which has helped me emencily. So when or have you accepted Asperger's? :-)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:35 pm

The same age you are now, at the age of 24.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

15 Jan 2011, 10:37 pm

I first seriously realized I probably had AS about three years ago. It was a suspicion for a decade before that.

I accepted it in November, although it took a good part of December to convince me enough that I felt comfortable saying I have it. I still have doubts, but they dwindle.

Oops: 41

Last edited by Verdandi on 15 Jan 2011, 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:38 pm

At the ripe old age of 52.

I can't even start to know where it is leading, but I've fully accepted it.

jmnixon95
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:39 pm

I was diagnosed at 10; I am now 15. I still have trouble being completely accepting to the thought that I have it.
I detest attaching myself to such labels.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:40 pm

I accepted it when I was 15 and again when I was 22.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ShenLong
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:43 pm

I accepted it when I found out that I had it. It gave me some closure because before than, I didn't know why I wasn't able to make friends easily. That and why I was so weird. When I found out, I identified my problems and began to work on them.

raisedbyignorance
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jan 2011, 10:44 pm

I accepted Asperger's shortly after getting diagnosed. Much like the OP I was just too grateful to finally have an answer to all of the personal flaws. Of course it took years to realize that I couldn't continue being myself as a result of a diagnosis though.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 2:35 am

In my mid 30s, I discovered that I had AS and then everything seemed to fit into place. I now feel more content as I understand myself better.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

PunkyKat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 2:54 am

As soon as I was diagnosed.

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 3:04 am

Acceptance was immediate, the first time I heard about it. It took another five years from then to get the diagnosis formalised, mostly because I didn't see the point in doing it for a while. I was 52 then and I'm 58 now.

one-A-N
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 5:35 am

wavefreak58 wrote:
At the ripe old age of 52.

I can't even start to know where it is leading, but I've fully accepted it.

I was about your age when I first suspected AS (January 2009) after completing the AQ Test, and then slowly things began to fall into place... including the possibility that several other members of my family were on the spectrum. That was a big boost to my suspicions: realising that autistic genes were in the family tree - I wasn't an isolated case.

I am now diagnosed. So it took a little less than two years, from first suspicion to having a diagnosis, all in my mid-50s.

Like the original poster I read Tony Attwood's Complete Guide to AS, and that made me realise many Aspie things about myself that I had never connected with anything - like my dislike of fluorescent lights and other sensory issues.

Woodpecker
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:51 am

I found reading Tony Attwood's complete guide to AS to be a bit like looking into the mirror. It does seem to be a good book, however I will say that while Tony might be clever he has not always been wise. The chapter on aspies and sexual / romantic relationships included in its sources a person who I view as being far from trustworthy, so I view that this chapter is tainted.

Diagnosed under the DSM5 rules with autism spectrum disorder, under DSM4 psychologist said would have been AS (299.80) but I suspect that I am somewhere between 299.80 and 299.00 (Autism) under DSM4.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 6:56 am

It was never a big deal for me. I suspected I was somehow different long before my mum told me I had Asperger's at 9 years old, so I just thought, "makes sense."

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jan 2011, 12:03 pm

I've always accepted it. If it's part of who I am, I'm essentially not accepting myself. Which leads to self-problems.

Never been much of a deal to me.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

16 Jan 2011, 12:42 pm

About eighteen months ago, and everything about the previous 50-odd years just fell into place.