Page 1 of 4 [ 64 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 12:53 pm

I sometimes feel left out because there are so many people with AS on this forum. Those of us who have classic autism need a place where we can share our experiences.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:10 pm

I can understand your feeling.

I know of at least two people who have at least Level 2 Classic autism here:

Ezra, and Ilikemusic. There are probably quite a few more than that.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:18 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

Yes I have Level 2 classic autism.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 1:37 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:

I feel I have a lot in common with Ilikemusic and livingwithautism. More so than others. Dylanperr is another member with level 2.

I also feel left out in threads that are focused on aspergers and contain material I don't relate to.

TimS1980
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

13 Feb 2019, 3:38 pm

Well, I'm diagnosed level 1 / AS..

I get what you're saying, and this thread is all yours.

In other threads I talk about suppressing many outer signs of ASD, and offer advice that AS folks might find useful. People with more severe traits might find it missed the mark.

Now I'm just listening.

Is there anything particular you'd like to share? Any online videos etc you can point me to that give a sense of what it's like to be you?

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:46 pm

EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I feel I have a lot in common with Ilikemusic and livingwithautism. More so than others. Dylanperr is another member with level 2.

I also feel left out in threads that are focused on aspergers and contain material I don't relate to.

I also don’t like the way many with aspergers try to turn it into a social club, dubbing themselves “Aspies.”

warrier120
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 4:49 pm

livingwithautism wrote:
I also don’t like the way many with aspergers try to turn it into a social club, dubbing themselves “Aspies.”

People consider me high-functioning autistic, but I don't like lumping other autistic people into a sort of an "us" category.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:03 pm

I was diagnosed with autism in 2004. I asked if I was Asperger's and was told no, autism fit me better.

I don't know what level I'd be on if I were diagnosed today. It costs a lot to be diagnosed here so I think I will leave it for now.

StampySquiddyFan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2019, 10:38 pm

I understand your perspective, despite not having classic autism myself. I never really liked the Asperger's term at all, and I just refer to my diagnosis as "high-functioning autism," as I technically was diagnosed after Asperger's was removed from the DSM. The term "aspie" personally irks me, but I say that people should be free to use whatever term they want. Just don't expect other people to always refer to each autistic person by their own preferred terms unless it is something that has been discussed before. I think the community, myself included, could do a better job with trying not to get offended with the whole "politically correct" and "politically incorrect" words surrounding ASD. Everyone has their own preferences, and it may turn people away from the disabled community as a whole if they are uncertain whether they are using the correct words/terms or not. I do think there should be more awareness and resources available to those with classic autism on this website, though.

Hi! I'm Stampy (not the actual YouTuber, just a fan!) and I have been diagnosed professionally with ASD and OCD and likely have TS. If you have any questions or just want to talk, please feel free to PM me!

Current Interests: Stampy Cat, AGT, and Medicine

Noca
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 1:31 am

I don't know if that includes me. Was diagnosed ASD lvl 2 ADOS 2 diagnosis was autism. I did not have delayed speech though.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 2:58 am

livingwithautism wrote:
EzraS wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

I figure that's what WP is, an Aspies social club.

I'm not saying that in derogatory way lest someone get offended by that. I know it's actually a support group for Aspergers.

As for those of us with significant classic autism, we are and have been only a handful here that I have ever known of.

When I first joined I was really wanting to come across others who have experienced what I have.

Like having been to clinics and such throughout my whole life and all the testing and evaluating involved.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 3:02 am

Noca wrote:
I don't know if that includes me. Was diagnosed ASD lvl 2 ADOS 2 diagnosis was autism. I did not have delayed speech though.

What has that been like for you?

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 12:15 pm

Noca wrote:

I did not have delayed speech either. I have significantly delayed communication and despite being considered verbally fluent, I am not conversational.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 12:20 pm

I actually did have delayed speech. No speech until 5 1/2 years old.

livingwithautism
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 12:23 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I actually did have delayed speech. No speech until 5 1/2 years old.

They consider me to have “basic communication.”

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2019, 1:03 pm

You know, as a high-functioning/close-to-NT Aspie, I know quite little about the more severe cases of autism. I am interested to know what the world is like for the lower-functioning types.