Page 1 of 2 [ 24 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 5:48 pm

Not the pharma shill gambit again... alternative medicine ois not only alternative for not working but also for lacking a way in which it possbily could work...

Also, Big Placebo (the alternative 'medicine' industry) is as greedy as Big Pharma is accused to be but provides less worth.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2011, 6:06 pm

LostInEmulation wrote:
Not the pharma shill gambit again... alternative medicine ois not only alternative for not working but also for lacking a way in which it possbily could work...

Also, Big Placebo (the alternative 'medicine' industry) is as greedy as Big Pharma is accused to be but provides less worth.

It depends on what people are calling 'alternative medicines'

Herbalism = effective
Homeopathy = my incliniation is towards probably not
Acupuncture = effective
Faith healing = probably just placebo, but hey, placebo can be pretty effective, and it's free (it only requires belief)

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 2:39 am

Moog wrote:
LostInEmulation wrote:

It depends on what people are calling 'alternative medicines'

Herbalism = effective
Homeopathy = my incliniation is towards probably not
Acupuncture = effective
Faith healing = probably just placebo, but hey, placebo can be pretty effective, and it's free (it only requires belief)

Herbalism is not effective per se, some herbal therapies work but if they do, they become medicine.
Homeopathy is BS. It failed its first studies >200 years ago.
Acupuncture is mainly placebo as can be seen by the fact that sham acupuncture works as well and even acupuncture needs which do not pierce the skin work as well.
Faith healing is DANGEROUS! Look at the people who choose it instead of medical therapies and DIE!

eb31
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Mar 2011, 3:53 am

Faith healing is dangerous? Medical treatment is dangerous.

Botched medical treatment is a leading cause of death in the US and, according to TIME, Doctors' sloppy handwriting alone kills more than 7,000 people a year. Now thats dangerous.

Read more: http://www.time.com/time/health/article ... z1FcRUmVHm

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2011, 7:41 am

Faith healing is even more dangerous since it cures 0 diseases (if you ignore normal healing which would also have occurred without the intervention) and gives people the wrong certainty that they are healed and makes them forgo actual medical treatment. Sure, people can do that, but as soon as children too young to decide are involved in this, I get really annoyed.

zkg
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Mar 2011, 7:43 pm

Over the weekend at a local GRASP meeting, one of my fellow members recommended magnesium supplements to deal with anxiety. I figured, "What the heck?" and bought myself a bottle of them.

After a couple of days, I do see a major decrease in anxiety and fidgeting, and my concentration at work improved. I'm 43. I only wish I'd heard about these 30 years ago or so.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:22 pm

Yeah, Moog is right.

Herbalism can be effective. And MANY things are NEVER made into medicines. There is a LAW in the US( though they are braking it, and trying to overturn it), which requires herbs and other food related items to be FREELY available and NOT regulated. THAT is why VITAMINS are freely available. yet vitamins and minerals are so RAREELY prescribed! I had a problem, and went to over 6 doctors. They thought I was NUTS! I think one even gave me an AIDS test! It turned out to be a MINERAL deficiency.

Anyway, companies can NOT patent vitamins or minerals or herbs.

Homeopathy is LUDICROUS! How ANYONE can believe is beyond me!

I agree with you about acupuncture.

As for faith? Well, many now say God answers ALL prayers! Sometimes the answer is NO!

And MANY people are deficient in B,D,E,Magnesium, Calcium, etc... HECK, the requirement for ZINC is VERY low, at least for males!

emuman100
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:25 pm

I've been talking Vitamin B6 and Magnesium for almost a year hearing that it could help alleviate the anxiety. If it has made any difference, it's made a tiny difference. I'm going to try Vitamin D3 next, and eventually Cannibus. I've tried an SSRI with negative results, and really am running out of things to try. I'm afraid of pharmaceuticals. Vitamin B6 and Magnesium haven't been working, so I'm going to try large quantities of Lecithin, and add D3 also. If worse comes to worse, I'll try a sativa strain of Cannibus. I'm not sure what else to do about this anxiety.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 8:51 pm

emuman100 wrote:
I've been talking Vitamin B6 and Magnesium for almost a year hearing that it could help alleviate the anxiety. If it has made any difference, it's made a tiny difference. I'm going to try Vitamin D3 next, and eventually Cannibus. I've tried an SSRI with negative results, and really am running out of things to try. I'm afraid of pharmaceuticals. Vitamin B6 and Magnesium haven't been working, so I'm going to try large quantities of Lecithin, and add D3 also. If worse comes to worse, I'll try a sativa strain of Cannibus. I'm not sure what else to do about this anxiety.

You DON'T want to take more than about 200mg of B6, it can cause nerve problems. You don't want to take too much more than 400mg of magnesium, because it can give you the runs. Deficiency in either can cause muscle pain, headaches, etc... So it CAN help, but only if you have a deficiency. Vitamin D3 can help also.

Lecithin CAN help, but it WILL require a LOT! That is more a food than a supplement.
Cannibus is paliative at BEST! SSRIs are VOODOO science. The theory is that you are depressed because of a serotonin.deficiency. Too much serotonin. can KILL you, so there is a serotonin.reuptake. The SSRI disables the reuptake, so the serotonin stays and accumulates. Supposedly they are SELECTIVE serotonin reuptake inhibitors. But they have plenty of side effects. ONE is potential death because of their working. Another is DEPRESSION. INCREDIBLE!