Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 3:15 pm

Is it not uncommon if you have AS to be angry all the time about yourself and mainstream society in general?

Its beocming a real issue for me getting angry over small things which is why its hard for me to do everday normal tasks :(

Could i get disabiltiy benefits for bieng angry all the time?

FunnyFairytale
Toucan
Toucan

13 Mar 2011, 3:44 pm

Why would you want that? Wouldnt it be better to try and find a way to cope with the anger? Im sure its not pleasant.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 3:50 pm

I know how you feel, I'm the same way. :P Also, I am easily angered, but I don't think any of it for me is because of AS, rather ASPD.

I highly doubt excessive anger is considered a disability though. :P

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 3:55 pm

It can be considered disability if it stops you functioning in everday life. could it have something to do with mood disorders? What are mood disorders anyway?

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 3:57 pm

I am angry a heck of a lot, what with my hormones. Well, I assume it's them, doubled with being frustrated at the bad sides of Asperger's.

I get disability living allowance for my AS, even though it is not a disability, but hey, free money! :wink: I don't know if that is the case where / how you live.

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 4:50 pm

Okay, I'll give an example. I'm not sure my SAT tutoring business is really going to take off. I have basically been persecuted at crapola department store, in some part because I am better at customers than the average sales associate.

Then, last night I'm at Panda Express. And I am really hungry. I'm even ready to get the three item plate. That is, I'm a good customer. I walk up to the counter. This young lady is standing right there, but she doesn't acknowledge me. A beat or two, I realize she has headphones. The manager in a white shirt serves me. He gives me too little of the chicken dinner. I have to ask for sauces. . . And yeah, these little things add up. Don't they realize that this is not good business. I play a solid A game. To them, it's just slopsville work I guess, and their attitude I suppose is one of, who cares.

And so, in larger terms, I have a whole lot to offer, but these gifts are not always appreciated.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 5:19 pm

Any advice on how i can deal with anger?

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 8:07 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Is it not uncommon if you have AS to be angry all the time about yourself and mainstream society in general?

Its beocming a real issue for me getting angry over small things which is why its hard for me to do everday normal tasks :(

Disability payments because of anger? Probably not. Do you have anger management classes over there? If you told a doctor or social worker you experienced a lot of anger, you might get referred to anger management where you can discover ways to control your anger. It's CBT, basically.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 8:13 pm

Yeah I should probably do that.

markitzero
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 9:50 pm

My Anger is like a electric capacitor when it pops stay out of my way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 11:22 am

when i was in the army and army civil service, i was pissed-off all the time. now that i am old and [thankfully] away from that environment, i am often just too damned tired to give a rap about much of anything anymore.

zer0netgain
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 12:26 pm

auntblabby wrote:
when i was in the army and army civil service, i was pissed-off all the time. now that i am old and [thankfully] away from that environment, i am often just too damned tired to give a rap about much of anything anymore.

Same for me.

When I was "career focused," I was constantly angry and bitter. Now that I accept the bulk of my "prime" is gone and somewhat accept what is...is. I've mellowed and simple stopped caring about a lot of things.

Only when I don't care do I not get angry.

wornways
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

14 Mar 2011, 12:40 pm

Anger or frustration?

I for one deal with chronic frustration with the world around me because I'm so intolerant of the sounds, movements, smells, and behaviors of other people. And it's not because there is anything inherently wrong with them, but because I find I am unable to tune it all out, and am therefore distracted because it all ends up demanding my attention. In the case of neighbors, noises like barking dogs and loud music can lead me to fits of enraged insanity--but it's still mostly frustration. It's frustration with others for not being sensitive to me and my condition and it's frustration with myself for not being able to tune out such ambient distractions like "normal" people can so effortlessly do. In the case of a work environment, co-workers with loud earphones, who make a lot of unnecessary movements like tapping or fidgeting (even though I myself tap and fidget), who wear strong deodorants or perfumes, who insist on making conversation with me when I'm trying to do my job, who get loose at the end of the work day and treat our shared office space like it is their personal home despite other co-workers also staying late and attempting to finish projects, etc, will cause a significant strain on my nerves--but this is also frustration. There are countless other environs and stimuli that can be factored in as well, but generally my immediate reaction to discomforts imposed upon me by others or the environment itself (like an overly noisy air-conditioner that property management refuses to fix) is one of frustration.

For me, frustration crosses over into anger when I've attempted to resolve such situations amicably only to find my condition--my sensitivities and my wish to have them respected--disregarded or ridiculed, which seems to happen more often than it doesn't. My frustration also becomes a strange mix of depression and anger when I feel helpless to change a such situations that repeat themselves consistently, especially when I've reached a point where I'm unwilling to attempt to communicate because of the results of previous such attempts (the disregard and ridicule).

The anger builds up over time, but the frustration is more immediate, which can itself trigger any built-up anger. I think it is useful to know the difference between the built-up anger and the triggering frustration. For me, mindfully separating the two can help quell an outburst and even help calm the percolation of built-up anger enough to allow me to think about and decide upon a course of action that allows me to better tolerate uncomfortable circumstances. It sometimes helps me to bear in mind that I am the outlander who is struggling to co-exist with a dominant species of human that is oblivious to conditions such as mine, and who can effortlessly tune out the same sorts of distractions that I'm often so bothered by. I cannot expect most people to understand me, or to be sensitive to my needs. It's a jungle of normals, and I have to use my wits to figure out how to survive in this jungle or be eaten by my own insanity.

I'm just thinking out loud (or in ASCII, as it were). Don't know if it will help. But your post brought about this thought process which I hoped might yield something of use to you.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 12:57 pm

Well yeah loud sounds can annoy me sometimes when i am woken up by the sound of construciton workers over the road i do feel pissed of inside but not so much in the sense that i developd uncontrollabe rage. also i dislike the sound of trains speeding past train staion platforms.

my sources of anger is the world and how complicated its too me and trying to make sense of it. Also trying to make sense and except other peoples beliefs, ideas and preferences that differ from my own is another source of internal fustration and anger. Also anger towards myself is a BIG factor for my fustration and irratibility. that said though i feel very uncoumftable with certain smells like farts etc...... :lol:

So to put it simply my sources of anger is not so much directed towards loud sounds and smells but more directed at society, people and myself,

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 1:09 pm

There's nothing wrong with me, what do I have to be angry about myself? What makes me angry is stupid people and the injustice they cause. Idiots are like sewers, every street has one and they are all full of crap.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

14 Mar 2011, 1:15 pm

Jamesy wrote:

Yeah. I'm familiar with anger.

But going on disability would piss me off even more.