Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Sep 2011, 12:19 pm

I get very anxious in college and normally like to fiddle with something but lately it's been so stressful that old, bad habits are creeping back such as teeth grinding and hair pulling. So I think I'd like to buy something to relieve that tension, keep my hands occupied etc.

I have been browsing and like the look of this toy called Tangle Jr.

Anybody else have any suggestions? It has to be:
- Discrete and small enough to carry in my pocket
- Smooth plastic
- No rubber. I hate rubbery things because they feel horrible and make your hands smell funny

DerStadtschutz
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 12:27 pm

I used to have a tech deck(one of those mini finger skateboard things) on my desk at all times, and whenever I'd get bored or just need something to fiddle with, I'd start playing with that. I always have pens to click and spin, scissors to swing around in circles on one finger, sometimes I'll just have a pair of nunchaku sitting on my desk that I'll randomly pick up and mess with. I don't have any toys specifically for fiddling necessarily, but I fiddle with things a lot when I'm at my computer desk. sometimes I'll just randomly hold one of my airsoft guns or wooden swords, for no particular reason other than it just feels comfortable... sort of like a security blanket, or sucking one's thumb for a child. When my hands are totally empty, I feel like I don't know where to put them or what to do with them sometimes and no matter how I try to "rest" them, it just feels weird.

seoulgamer
Raven
Raven

26 Sep 2011, 1:01 pm

I usually spin a pencil between the fingers of one or both hands. I wrap sellotape around the middle because it makes the tactile sensation more satisfying.

Gosh, the more I post here, the more I realise how different Asperger's makes me. I didn't know other Aspies fiddled with things.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 2:29 pm

Redacted.

Last edited by Willard on 01 Oct 2011, 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Neotokyomushroom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

26 Sep 2011, 2:33 pm

No comment. :oops:

twich
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

26 Sep 2011, 2:34 pm

I have 2 different tangle Jr.'s so far, a fuzzy one and a textured plastic one. Sometimes I swipe a few of my hotwheels, sometimes a small stuffed animal comes with me in my back pack.. Clicky pens work too if you're by yourself.. And my textured guitar picks or worry stone (It's a small smooth flattish stone that has almost like a thumb groove in it to rub.)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2011, 2:46 pm

I have fiddle toys that I play with at home. I have my netbook and my Nyko keyboard that I use to post on WP on my Wii with, a silver cross, Sid from Flushed Away, a white rat that has water inside, Playdough, an orange stress ball and my Nintendo DS.

Kiana
Raven
Raven

27 Sep 2011, 9:49 am

I have a tangle toy and a rubiks cube

aspi-rant
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 10:02 am

these two pebbles have been in my pocket since 1980… they are now very, very smooth.

it would be a disaster if i ever loose them…….. :?

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 10:13 am

When I was a little kid, I used to carry a strip of elastic with me everywhere. I liked the way it felt when I stroked it.

Last edited by MagicMeerkat on 27 Sep 2011, 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 10:54 am

I used to carry small bracelets made of beads and an elastic-string--the beads were small, colored a bit like marbles, and made of either hard plastic or some kind of glass. Wearing them wasn't too comfortable for me, but they fit nicely into pockets.

Love transcends all.

Maje
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 11:10 am

No. My ciraget maybe.

samuraiBSD

27 Sep 2011, 12:37 pm

I have a ring that I wear around my neck on a chain. It's heavy enough that the chain doesn't bother me, and I end up fiddling with it a lot. I also recently got an iPhone and that's become something I pull out and play with too.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 3:51 pm

I inherited a Bischoffberger violin. I don't know how to play it, but I like plucking on the strings.

ruveyn

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

27 Sep 2011, 3:57 pm

A squeaky space hopper. Its supposed to be a dog toy but its good for de-stressing.

Guineapigged
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Sep 2011, 4:18 pm

I chose a basic Tangle Jr with the primary colours. Is it sad that I'm looking forward to the arrival of this plastic toy more than I would a video game or DVD? :wink: