Hello everyone!! Should I be concerned?

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

Angelon1ft
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2011, 8:58 am

Hello! This is my first post to wrong planet but I just wanted some of your opinions. I was diagnosed with Bipolar disorder and ADD as a child, but have not always been super confident in those diagnoses. I do have a lot of depression and sometimes fits of anger but almost all of it occurs because I don't know how to interrpret my own feelings so I get extremely frustrated. The other day my mom pointed out to me the way that I process information (I take instructions/questions way too litterally and often don't complete them because I'm not sure how to finish it if I have to try to improvise.) Well anyways, I've got a lot of other unusual things that I do that are brought to my attention more and more. I even had someone flat out ask me if I was autistic! After hearing that I decided to look into it and found these results:

Apsie Test results: 142 out of 200
neurotypical results: 85 out of 200

Autism Spectrum Quotient: 31 (the average woman scores 15 and the average person
with high functioning autism scores 35)

What do y'all think of this? Are these reliable? Could I have been misdiagnosed as a child? I was the only child I knew that had severe anxiety everytime I stayed anywhere but home (including my dads and bestfriends house) until I was an older teen. I always felt like such a weirdo leaving my best friends slumber party at 8pm because of anxiety. Plus - I'm frustrated at work because my boss seems to think I'm an idiot because I do exactly what she tells me to do and that's not always what she wants. Yet I seem to be the only person in my office with that problem. Also I don't mean to be arrogant, but I feel like my brain functions at so much of a higher level compared to my coworkers yet I'm the one feeling like an idiot when it comes to simple tasks. The people I enjoy most at my office are the doctors I work for because they seem to understand my passions and train of thought. Particularly one who is a mathematician and has the same affinity for astronomy as I do. Wow sorry for rambling... Please help!! Thank you! :)

leejosepho
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 9:27 am

Angelon1ft wrote:
Apsie Test results: 142 out of 200
neurotypical results: 85 out of 200

Autism Spectrum Quotient: 31 (the average woman scores 15 and the average person
with high functioning autism scores 35)

What do y'all think of this? Are these reliable? Could I have been misdiagnosed as a child?

My own scores are similar, and mis-diagnosis is always possible.

Angelon1ft wrote:
I was the only child I knew that had severe anxiety everytime I stayed anywhere but home ...

I once spent the night with a friend living in a house where I had previously lived for several years, but I was still afraid to get undressed and take a shower even behind a locked bathroom door.

Angelon1ft wrote:
... I don't mean to be arrogant, but I feel like my brain functions at so much of a higher level compared to my coworkers yet I'm the one feeling like an idiot when it comes to simple tasks.

Welcome to the club ... and welcome to WP!

BTDT
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 9:38 am

Hi Angelon1ft,

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Yes, it is common for Aspies to take things too literally. Or, it could be that NTs are just too imprecise 8O

Jodalah
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Mar 2011, 10:07 am

How old are you? I have tine boys with Aspergers. All though you sound much higher functioning than they are. I thing thsat Aspergers would be a better diagnosis for you to handle and be a productive person. It is a matter of learning the rules. It is difficult but there are great therapists out there that can help you recognize the signs and give you the tools to deal with what you see or might not see.

Angelon1ft
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2011, 10:09 am

Haha! Thank y'all for your replies! I was so nervous I would get a negative response, but y'all both made me feel very accepted!! I'm glad to know other people feel the same way I do!! :D

Angelon1ft
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2011, 10:24 am

I am 23 years old. Yes, if I am I would consider myself very high functioning. I have a lot of the signs from what I have read. Rocking when nervous or to go to sleep, I chew on my lips constantly, I have an unusual gait - I walk on the outsides of my feet and my left foot turns inwards, and I have an unusual intrest in space and weather (I had weather themed birthday parties as a child... Yeah, I felt out of place haha) And many more signs amongst various other I have read. I'm just thankful to have found somewhere that has people that can understand me without my miserable attempts to explain myself lol. I would like to find somewhere that could give me an official diagnosis mostly so that I can understand myself better. Half the time I can't even begin to understand how I'm feeling - so trying to explain myself to others is near impossible. I'm tired of being told I don't express myself and hold everything inside when I don't know how else to do it. Very frustrating :(

Nickay12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2011, 11:58 am

Alas, I have this problem of identity too. I have no idea what I'm feeling and I have not a clue how to express it.. It's like I'm missing codecs, I can't communicate, so it just turns to rage.. I would suggest getting it checked out. No point dwelling on the matter, If you're drawn to "wrongplanet" It's likely that you are a fellow aspie. :o)

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 2:08 pm

Welkome to WrongPlanet. :)

The WP Kink

Angelon1ft
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2011, 3:51 pm

Thank y'all so much for all of your warm welcomes!! :-D yes Nickay - I know exactly what you're talking about. I feel so bad about the fits of rage after it's over, but at the time it's like you're feeling attacked and can't defend yourself... I've never hurt anyone and never would, but I get so angry I just explode. Often throwing whatever is in my hand at the time. :(

Arminius
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

21 Mar 2011, 4:22 pm

Welcome! If you are on the spectrum, I hope knowing it about yourself proves helpful.

Nickay12
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

21 Mar 2011, 4:33 pm

Yeah, thats like one of the worst feelings I've ever experienced.
I think thats what seperates Aspies from Psychotics; The remorse afterwards lol..

When I'm in that rage I fell like I have no control, I explode, People start calling me crazy and paranoid. It's like adding fuel to the fire.
I try to eliminate the triggers to my rage, I'd rather live in a world of loneliness than be out of control of a situation.

-Nicki- :D

Angelon1ft
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Mar 2011, 4:57 pm

Yes, I agree! It took me a while to figure out why I only have one friend (and she's been my friend since I was 11) and I prefer it that way! lol It seems like the more people are around me, the more I don't want them to be, lol. Like you said - they all think you're crazy if they happen to see you that way. I feel so stupid having to warn anyone I've dated about it like there is something wrong with me... but I feel like I need too otherwise they won't understand if it DOES.

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2011, 5:36 pm

Welcome! Stick around for awhile, and see whether stuff other people are saying is helpful or familiar to you. Frankly, I think one of the most important aspects of the autism label (besides the obvious like services, etc.) is helping people gain self-understanding, and helping people (if they want to) find other people they can identify with. So if you find that other autistic people's insights are useful to you, then absolutely you should stick around. (Don't be too discouraged if you find you're unusual even here though. A lot of us are. My form of autism is not one of the most common ones, so there are few people a lot like me here. And yet, I can still identify with what the other people who aren't as much like me, say about themselves.

patiz
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

21 Mar 2011, 7:38 pm

Welcome to Wp, along with AS you can have co-morbid conditions, bi-polar, ocd are some of the common ones. You may well have been correctly diagnosed in early childhood for bi-polar, but they missed AS, which again is pretty common. :)