Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 1:54 am

Wonder what Average hight of a man with AS. This isn't a completely irrelevant question.
As their is many evolutionary factors that dictate a man's height and would effect a aspie
man differently then an NT man.

It would be interesting to know why aspie average hight is different then NTs.

russian
Raven
Raven

28 Mar 2011, 5:20 am

-Sadly average height of a man is taller than a woman. For example my sister is 5'9" my mother is 6'1" and my father is 6'. My biological brother is almost 6'5" and I'm almost 6'4". Thus you would need to remove a number from the height of AS men equal to the gender gap, which is a serious head ache.
-I would expect aspie women to be excessively tall.

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 12:01 pm

Not really looked at aspie woman. The reason why I make assumption that aspie men are taller is because. We know that aspies have a disadvantages in dating and we know that short men do too. So it results in a higher percentage of aspies who do get married and have children being taller. Evidence does support this. Shorter aspies to have luck in dating as an average NT take for granted, need something outstanding.

the_curmudge
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 7:34 pm

I'm male, undiagnosed, 5' 6" and eternally dateless, though partly through lack of trying. I was standing in a bank line today behind a much shorter/smaller male--that's a red letter day for me--and he actually made not-at-all-unwelcome advances toward the female teller. So there's hope for us all.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 7:45 pm

I would guess the average height of an AS person is the same as the average height for a non-AS person.

ruveyn

Titangeek
Veteran
Veteran

28 Mar 2011, 11:41 pm

i am 6ft 2 1/2in and still growing 8)

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2011, 12:02 am

i think an average may be taller but i'm basing that on the fact that there are some conditions that relate to autism such as fragile x where the conditon causes them to grow taller than average. 1/3 of people diagnosed with fragile x are autistic and there are a couple of other very similar disorders where autism and being taller than average are both very common. these conditions can also be misdiagnosed as autism because many of the symptoms are the same.

MooCow
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 1:37 am

I'd assume that it would more or less be in line with the national average, though I might be wrong.

for what it's worth I'm a tick over 6' 2"

Aspie_Chav
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 7:22 am

missykrissy wrote:
1/3 of people diagnosed with fragile x are autistic and there are a couple of other very similar disorders where autism and being taller than average are both very common. these conditions can also be misdiagnosed as autism because many of the symptoms are the same.

I don't know what fragile x is but I assume that we do not know why it is common on AS. But environmental factors we can explain. My me try to expain by over exaggeration.

Lets say we introduce 30 tall 6ft 5 and rich aspies and 5 ft short poor aspies to a country that has no aspies at all. What do you think the future generation of aspies would be like. Do you think there would be the same ratio of short poor aspie as tall and rich ones? Do you think the woman native preferance for tall rich men would have an influence on aspies? would equal amound of aspies from the two groups have children on average. Would some native women believe that the taller richer as an advantage over their native men. Would they believe the same for poorer shorter aspies.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 9:29 am

Aspie Chav good look finidng guys that are 6'5 since there very rare.

Simonono
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 9:40 am

I am just over 6 feet and still growing. I am just about the tallest yet youngest member of my family :)

Daredevil-Aspie
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Mar 2011, 9:44 am

Seems that AS has zero effect on height.

Todesking
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 10:42 am

6'2" 290lbs

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

29 Mar 2011, 12:10 pm

10 floz

randomryan007

29 Mar 2011, 12:19 pm

I am 5'1" and have autism no specified.

missykrissy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Mar 2011, 5:28 pm

Aspie_Chav wrote:
missykrissy wrote:
1/3 of people diagnosed with fragile x are autistic and there are a couple of other very similar disorders where autism and being taller than average are both very common. these conditions can also be misdiagnosed as autism because many of the symptoms are the same.

I don't know what fragile x is but I assume that we do not know why it is common on AS. But environmental factors we can explain. My me try to expain by over exaggeration.

Lets say we introduce 30 tall 6ft 5 and rich aspies and 5 ft short poor aspies to a country that has no aspies at all. What do you think the future generation of aspies would be like. Do you think there would be the same ratio of short poor aspie as tall and rich ones? Do you think the woman native preferance for tall rich men would have an influence on aspies? would equal amound of aspies from the two groups have children on average. Would some native women believe that the taller richer as an advantage over their native men. Would they believe the same for poorer shorter aspies.

fragile x is a chromisone disorder that causes the x chromosone to 'break' and have repeats of specific genomes. one of the side effects is abnormal neurological development which is where the autism comes in.
either way i see what you mean but the same is true for all men in general not just for aspie men. the short men will still get to breed and have lots of babies. they will just not get the best looking girls. ugly girls need mates too. (: the tall ones will have more genetically variable children though because they will probably have different women that have their babies while the short ones will have a hard time finding multiple partners and stick with what they can get.