Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

JohnConnor
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Dec 2012, 11:18 pm

I went and visited a friend of mine who is a first grade teacher. According to him any child diagnosed with Aspergers now has their own personal aid. He told me that they had a little girl who started out the school year as a problem child. They managed to get her fully integrated in with her peers.........guess there is some hope after all.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

13 Dec 2012, 11:35 pm

wish they had such when i was a young'un. :hmph:

DVCal
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 12:17 am

What I fear is many children will be forced into special needs programs simply because of a diagnosis.

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Dec 2012, 1:40 am

DVCal wrote:
What I fear is many children will be forced into special needs programs simply because of a diagnosis.

special needs programs aren't always bad. one of my best friends is a special ed teacher and her students each get ipads, and drastically more individual support and attention than general education students do. there's no clear line between "special" and "gifted" either, and a good teacher will recognize that a lot of people fall into both categories. I was always in "gifted" or "honors" programs that were replete with other aspies. I wish I'd been through the special ed thing as a kid, to be honest, because it would have prepared me for success in college SO much more than just going in blind with the assumption my difficulties were only because I was smarter than the average bear and gay.

Conversion Disorder, General/Social Anxiety Disorder, Major Depression

Unseen
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Dec 2012, 2:56 am

Special programs are okay, as long as they don't foster segregation - i.e. a feeling of "us" vs. "them". If this happens, then the program does more harm than good.

The sad reality is that sooner or later one has to get back into the world. It helps if you get used to this thought early.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

14 Dec 2012, 7:34 am

Ca2MgFe5Si8O22OH2 wrote:
I was smarter than the average bear and gay.

You may be smarter than the average bear but are you smarter than the smartest bear?