Unintentionally pissing people off and aspergers?

Page 1 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

06 Apr 2011, 2:33 pm

Is it typical of someone with aspergers to be unintentionally rude and unintentionally piss people off?

Is it typical for someone with aspergers to talk of "normal people" in a derogatory manner because of lifelong mistreatment and severe lack of success with said people? And these "normal people" pervade EVERY social group -- even if you go to the "nerd" group, "goth" group, "freak" group or whatever group, there's a distinctive sense of normality that you can never successfully adapt to, no matter how well intentioned you might be.

Is it typical for someone with aspergers to lack "common sense", in a way that's presumably worse than the amount of common sense "normal people" possess?

If you ask what someone means when they say something, they get exasperated, and those who even stick around complain that you take everything so literally.

When a person of this "normal people" group says something, you can imagine more than 2 possible interpretations, but can't figure out which one they intended? And this happens on a regular basis. When you ask them, they get pissed off -- When you don't and simply assume everyone has these interpretation difficulties, the conversation tends to die. Or you say something that "freaks" 'them' out. But when this happens in a group situation, it's pretty damn obvious everyone else got it, and they seemed to "get it" within a nanosecond, as when they respond, the other person seems to excitedly continue the conversation.

Also, ever since studying words for 4 hours each day in an attempt to increase ones' vocabulary in hopes that it would improve communication success with others, your vocabulary does increase, but it doesn't actually increase communication success - it actually decreases it because 'normal people' don't even understand what you're saying now, and you can't seem to figure out what words people would understand and which ones they wouldn't? And people who "stick around" complain that you occasionally use exceedingly rare words as if "they were nothing" (As if you weren't aware of how 'big' or 'ostentatious' or 'rare' they were.).

And, finally, you don't fit in literally anywhere, even within 'aspie websites' because they're overrun by "normal people"?

What kind of 'normal people' would I likely be thinking of, if it's not strictly the non-autistic type?

Also, does that sound typical of aspergers? Like a "Damn, you really got it bad, son." type of way?

[I'm going to add to my list as I think of more things.]

Last edited by swbluto on 06 Apr 2011, 3:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 2:39 pm

WTF are you talking about? I NEVER piss people off like that. :lol:

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

06 Apr 2011, 2:51 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:

I think you're being sarcastic, but I have to be sure: do you never piss people off like that?

(I think if I were to ask a "normal person" that, they'd probably get pissed off, even though I didn't intend to. One more evidence of this so-called "normal people" I'm thinking of.)

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2011, 3:02 pm

"hello, my name is swbluto, and i have never once bothered to research the symptoms of autism, preferring to ask a very stupid question on a forum!"

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 3:11 pm

torako wrote:
"hello, my name is swbluto, and i have never once bothered to research the symptoms of autism, preferring to ask a very stupid question on a forum!"

This seems to be the type of ridicule that I typically suffer at the hands of "normal people".

Anyway, I've already researched the symptoms but I'm still inconclusive. I'm just wondering if there's any "aspie" people out there who will just pop up out and exclaim "That sounds just like me!" or maybe I'll get a chorus of people saying "I have no idea what you're talking about -- you just sound like an insensitive, socially-unaware as*hole with various cognitive difficulties.".

blackcat
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 3:16 pm

torako wrote:

Geez, torako. Give the guy a break. That was pretty harsh. If the question bothers you so much, ignore it. Problem solved.

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2011, 3:19 pm

swbluto wrote:
torako wrote:

This seems to be the type of ridicule that I typically suffer at the hands of "normal people".

Anyway, I've already researched the symptoms but I'm still inconclusive. I'm just wondering if there's any "aspie" people out there who will just pop up out and exclaim "That sounds just like me!" or maybe I'll get a chorus of people saying "I have no idea what you're talking about -- you just sound like an insensitive, socially-unaware as*hole with various cognitive difficulties.".

saying rude things unintentionally is A SYMPTOM OF ASPERGER'S.

clearly you haven't done enough research.

stop being stupid now, k?

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 3:24 pm

torako wrote:
swbluto wrote:
torako wrote:

:lol:

I was actually purposely framing the question in that way to see if it would be linked more directly to "accidentally pissing others off" by others, as I already knew it was a symptom. But, that alone doesn't mean one has aspergers - you could just be a "social idiot" with limited social insight, so I was providing that piece of evidence with all the other evidence to give a more "holistic sense" of all the weirdnesses in total. If it sounded compatible with the aspergers model, then great, if it fits another model more accurately, like a "well-rounded idiot", than that'd be great too.

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2011, 3:26 pm

swbluto wrote:
torako wrote:
swbluto wrote:
torako wrote:

:lol:

I was actually purposely framing the question in that way to see if it would be linked more directly to "accidentally pissing others off" by others. But, that alone doesn't mean one has aspergers - you could just be a "social idiot" with limited social insight, so I was providing that piece of evidence with all the other evidence to give a more "holistic sense" of all the weirdnesses in total. If it sounded compatible with the aspergers model, then great, if it fits another model more accurately, like a "well-rounded idiot", than that'd be great too.

that's not what you asked. you asked "Is it typical of someone with aspergers to be unintentionally rude and unintentionally piss people off?", which is a STUPID QUESTION.

and i told you to stop being stupid. so STOP IT. you're pissing me off.

CranialRectosis
Raven
Raven

06 Apr 2011, 3:35 pm

I think unintentionally pissing people off should be included in the DSM IV for diagnosis of Aspergers.

Everything you wrote seems to be pretty typical.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 3:38 pm

Quote:
that's not what you asked. you asked "Is it typical of someone with aspergers to be unintentionally rude and unintentionally piss people off?", which is a STUPID QUESTION.

Notice the second part, "unintentionally piss people off"? My model of "pissing people off" goes way beyond simply being rude. Being pissed off is enough to cause someone to drastically react to what you said/acted, instead of simply being merely offended, as is typical of garden-variety rudenesses.

Quote:

Unintentionally or intentionally?

I see you have a lot of intentional experience with that.

torako
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Apr 2011, 3:47 pm

swbluto wrote:
Quote:

Notice the second part, "unintentionally piss people off"? My model of "pissing people off" goes way beyond simply being rude. Being pissed off is enough to cause someone to drastically react to what you said/acted, instead of simply being merely offended, as is typical of garden-variety rudenesses.

Quote:

you're pissing me off by being stupid. stupid people ALWAYS piss me off because they're STUPID and they need to STOP THAT.

i told you to stop TWICE NOW!! STOP!

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 3:51 pm

torako wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Quote:

Quote:

you're pissing me off by being stupid. stupid people ALWAYS piss me off because they're STUPID and they need to STOP THAT.

i told you to stop TWICE NOW!! STOP!

If by stupid, you mean "stop PWNing Torako's replies with brutal logic and clever replies", I'll get around to it one of these days.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 3:51 pm

swbluto wrote:
wavefreak58 wrote:

I think you're being sarcastic, but I have to be sure: do you never piss people off like that?

(I think if I were to ask a "normal person" that, they'd probably get pissed off, even though I didn't intend to. One more evidence of this so-called "normal people" I'm thinking of.)

Yes. I'm being sarcastic.

I very often say things that are misinterpreted.

ZeroGravitas
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Apr 2011, 3:53 pm

I think this entire thread is an example of its topic. Either that, or I am terrible at detecting sarcasm.*

* Which is a common trait in AS

http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt156929.html - How to annoy me

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2011, 3:58 pm

wavefreak58 wrote:
I very often say things that are misinterpreted.

Seriously? Me too. Whenever I attempt to tell others "No one understands me", I'm not just being an angsty teenage brat, others often take things in a different way than I intended that I don't immediately understand.

I didn't think that was a symptom of aspergers, though, so I didn't add it to my list. Maybe I should...

Last edited by swbluto on 06 Apr 2011, 6:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.