Unintentionally pissing people off and aspergers?

Page 4 of 4 [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2011, 6:15 pm

swbluto wrote:
cosmiccat wrote:
My brother-in-law is still a little annoyed with me because two summers ago I asked him if he shaved his legs? I was serious. He was wearing shorts and I noticed his legs were hairless and I thought that was odd. I know some cyclists shave their legs so I didn't think it was such a far out question. He really got his feelings hurt and that's the last thing I intended. It's just so hard to know at times what you can say and what you can't.

I seriously LOL'd at that (Well, maybe not "seriously", but significantly anyways.). I think when it's "really obvious" that the person did something, and you ask if they did it, it's assumed you're making fun of them. When you're ridiculing someone over 'sensitive topics', like shaved hair and swimmers / lycras, and speedos and swimmers (Or anything intrinsic to the sub-culture but "embarrassing" in the general public's mind), some sensitive people can get hurt over it. Others who are less sensitive to it will laugh it off (Or come back with a retaliatory comment like "Yes, captain obvious."), it really just depends on the person. Most people, in my experience, tend to be "sensitive".

Asking "really obvious" questions or potentially emberessing questions is something little kids tend to do. So people might just think you're immature. I think there's a significant subset of AS adults who are childlike. I'd include myself in that group. I identify more easily with slightly "immature" adults anyways.