Page 6 of 7 [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 3:16 pm

Louise18 wrote:
jamieboy wrote:
Someone mentioned Blacks earlier. The difference between Black Pride and Aspie pride is that Black Pride doesn't seek to downplay the problems of Black People. You don't get Al Sharpton saying "oh no theres no poverty here in the ghetto. nothing to see here folks. And besides havent you heard how brilliant James Brown is?" He might go with the last line but before that he'll campaign to improve the economic lot of his people and back up their suffering with statistics. On a personal level i think we need to be honest with ourselves what our weaknesses are and not to be too ashamed to admit to hardships or suffering. You need to personally accept the whole of Aspergers and everything that it entails rather than just the positives. If you only concentrate on the positives you paint a totally unrealistic appraisal of what AS is and what we need help with.

The appropriate response to the aspie unemployment rate is not to give people a disability allowance, it is to address the reasons aspies cannot access and excel in the workplace. Some of those reasons will be disability/sickness due to other things (such as depression) which are more prevalent in the AS population.

There's currently huge structural unemployment in the UK economy. There are 5 million people on some sort of out of work benefit and 500,000 vacancies in the economy. I'm pretty sure both the public and the private sector in a time of economic growth wouldn't be able to create the jobs necessary to put all sick people to work. Never mind the moral issues of putting people that the NHS has deemed to sick to work into Mccjobs. But you are right a truly moral and responsible government would put huge ammounts of money into NHS mental health to try and help people becoming more functioning.

wavefreak58
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 3:28 pm

Louise18 wrote:

The appropriate response to the aspie unemployment rate is not to give people a disability allowance, it is to address the reasons aspies cannot access and excel in the workplace. Some of those reasons will be disability/sickness due to other things (such as depression) which are more prevalent in the AS population.

So you are suggesting that society at large suffers from Asperger's?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 4:44 pm

I often wonder if the big part of the reason why so many aspies are unemployed is because no one will hire them, they won't call them for an interview nor hire them after the interview. Even if they are able to work, places won't keep them despite that they are good at their job but it's people that is their struggle so places let them go because they can't deal with them being socially awkward or asocial or the way they communicate.

Another reason I have is inflexibility. They may react to change and get anxiety and have a meltdown so their bosses fire them before they could even work on it because their business is more important and can't drive away customers because they witnessed an employer having a meltdown. Or they quit before they get fired knowing it will happen.

And another reason is aspies not liking authority and they rely on logic and the bosses don't have time to explain why to everything. They tell you to do something, just do it, they don't have time to say why because if they had to explain their reasons to all their employers, then nothing would ever get done and they have too much on their hands to spend a few minutes to explain why to everyone. So aspies don't do it and they get fired because they didn't obey their boss and do as they said.

And the last thing, sensory issues, it may be too much for the aspie so they may get overwhelmed and have a meltdown but I think they usually quit before they get fired because they know they can't handle it or they just don't apply for that sort of job in the first place knowing they won't be able to.

I could have just quit my two jobs if I wanted to but I am no quitter and I risked getting fired by keeping my two previous jobs and I need a job right so I will do anything to keep one. I was just lucky my boss didn't decide to let me go saying things weren't working out or my office clerk not reporting my performance to our boss. He covered my arse.

jamieboy
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 4:50 pm

I suppose then ,in our ideal world ,aspies would be able to have sick leave when things were getting to stressful for them and then go back to work at the same job when they got better. We need better employment rights .

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 5:00 pm

There are aspies out there that do quit their jobs when it gets too stressful and then when they are ready to work again, they get a new job. I guess that counts as an impairment in the criteria. But me, I just stayed and dealt with it since finding work is hard. In fact it's other people that have to tell me when to stop and take a rest because I just won't quit. That was why my mom was worried about me in my first relationship because she knows I am the sort of person who won't give up so she thought I wouldn't give up with my ex and would keep trying and trying until I destroy myself and be a whole different person but nope I dumped him and I told her "You can't change someone if they don't want to change and I don't want to live like that for the rest of my life." I knew on my own when to quit and draw the line but it took me longer to realize that.

pat2rome
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:17 pm

suf·fer/ˈsəfər/Verb
1. Experience or be subjected to (something bad or unpleasant).
2. Be affected by or subject to (an illness or ailment).

Fits definition number 2 no matter what, and definition number 1 on a subjective basis. This topic is much ado about nothing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Apr 2011, 6:22 pm

I suffer from the attitudes of mainstream society, not AS.

Louise18
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

20 Apr 2011, 8:37 am

pat2rome wrote:
suf·fer/ˈsəfər/Verb
1. Experience or be subjected to (something bad or unpleasant).
2. Be affected by or subject to (an illness or ailment).

Fits definition number 2 no matter what, and definition number 1 on a subjective basis. This topic is much ado about nothing.

AS is not an illness or ailment, and I do not experience it as unpleasant.

Asp-Z
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 8:40 am

manlyadam wrote:
I've been reading a few articles about aspies lately and all of them say this exact phrase. I don't know how other aspies feel about this but I think it's such an ignorant thing to say and it makes me afraid to tell people about myself because they will think I have a horrible syndrome and I'm suffering. I don't know where this originated from or why it became the standard thing to say about all aspies but I want it to be changed. Maybe there are other aspies who feel the same, is there anything we can do to change it? I mean it's almost like saying black people suffer from African Pigmentation Syndrome isn't it? I don't see much of a difference so a complaint should be acknowledged?

Exactly. It's not cancer, I don't suffer from s**t except for how people treat me. Society is ill, not me.

ruveyn
Veteran
Veteran

20 Apr 2011, 9:24 am

Mindslave wrote:
Because Asperger's is a disease. It's a disease because it...affects your physical health...just like all other diseases.

I disagree. It is a variant condition. Another way of being. Short is not a disease. Tall is not a disease.

If you prick us, do we not bleed?
if you tickle us, do we not laugh? if you poison
us, do we not die? and if you wrong us, shall we not
revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will
resemble you in that.

--- Merchant of Venice ---

ruveyn (F84.5)