Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 11:45 pm

There is always a lot of talk here about sensitivity to sound, but I'm not sensitive to sound so much as touch. Especially in the inner elbow area. It bothers me if I wear a shirt that is tight around my arms because of the feel when I bend my arms. It's fine if I keep my arms straight, but if I bend them, ugh. I don't have this problem with pants so much.

This is a real problem when I go to the doctor. Most people describe a blood test as a "prick" or a "sting", but I find it much more painful than that. I don't like needles in other circumstances, like vaccines or dental work, but blood tests are the worst of all. Also, I can't tolerate the blood pressure machines. My granddad was thought I was "making excuses" to not check my blood pressure because "it doesn't feel that bad at all" and I have never meant anyone ever that complains about the feel of the machine. I also don't like the pressure very much. I can tolerate it until they start to inflate it. It doesn't help that when I little, my mom and the doctor chuckled a bit when I clammed up when they took my blood pressure.

Most doctors think I'm nuts when I say I don't like the blood pressure machine, but are understanding of the fear of needles because it's more common.

But that's not the whole story. I don't like the feel of tags on the back of my shirt or most shoes. When I was two, I would have major meltdowns when my mom made me wear shoes. She didn't get it and at the time, probably thought it was a non-compliance thing, rather than a sensory thing. She finally figured out that I'd wear canvas shoes, but I was not thrilled because she was a bit of a girly girl and wanted me to wear pretty shoes. It's always disappointed her a little bit that I'm more tomboyish than girly girl. I mean, she gave me a girly-girl sounding name (which I don't use in non-legal settings), but that's another story.

Anyone else with touch-related sensory issues?

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

09 Sep 2016, 11:50 pm

sometimes when other people touch my skin it gives we this uncomfortable itching feeling

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

10 Sep 2016, 12:12 am

Yes - touch sensitivities are a very common subject on here.
I'm touch sensitive too, mostly due to pressure. I'm partially insensitive to pain so painful sensations like needle pricks don't bother me, but pressure absolutely does. So much so that others touching me sets this off - they are creating pressure on my body that my brain interprets as being crushed.
I don't like shoes much either, and for some reason, slippers are even worse and I can't stand them. I'll wear clothing several sizes too big for me to avoid the pressure of tight clothes against my body.
I hate the blood pressure cuff too - one of the reasons I routinely refuse hospital stays. The nurse will do this every two hours and it's ridiculous.

aloevera
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Sep 2016, 1:12 pm

Oh yes, the blood pressure machine. Oh no, you are not the only one, I also can not stand it. It makes me feel like if I was suffocating, even my face gets red. I get more or less the same feeling when people touch me or stand too close to me, and even worse if they decide to hug me. Very tight clothes also make me feel like this.

The_Dark_Citadel
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Sep 2016, 6:10 pm

That sounds pretty much like tactile defensiveness. The opposite is tactile seeking. It's kinda weird that I'm both. Some types of physical contact are unbearable and others I can't get enough.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

12 Sep 2016, 10:37 pm

The_Dark_Citadel wrote:
That sounds pretty much like tactile defensiveness. The opposite is tactile seeking. It's kinda weird that I'm both. Some types of physical contact are unbearable and others I can't get enough.

I sort of know what you mean. I'm not that way with touch, but I am that way with smell. Some smells make me gag, but smelling smells I love is a stim.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic