Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

30 Oct 2011, 2:40 pm

Do you get annoyed when people repeat phrases twice? Like, when my family was ordering from a coffee stand, the cashier said something like "That's be right up, that'll be right up." (She actually said something else, but I can't remember exactly). It seems pretty redundant even though I know people do that for "emphasis" and I kind of wonder if this is something that seems pretty illogical to autistic individuals? I wonder if this also seems "illogical" to relatively intelligent people and it's not simply an annoyance to autistic individuals, so it's not just an "autistic" thing to be annoyed about. Or maybe it's an annoyance to people who are easily annoyed.

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 2:46 pm

I dislike it when I state something and someone says, "really?" ...No, I just said that to waste breath.

Mego
Toucan
Toucan

30 Oct 2011, 2:46 pm

I had this guy repeat to me "what are we gonna get" a few times when we went to the store... obviously I didn't answer because I wasn't sure (it was his idea to go). It kinda of pumped up my anxiety levels :?

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

30 Oct 2011, 2:58 pm

Sparx wrote:
I dislike it when I state something and someone says, "really?" ...No, I just said that to waste breath.

Really? :P

Do you know why people say that?

Sparx
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 3:08 pm

I guess I should have seen that one coming.

If meant sincerely, I don't mind, as it is an invitation for me to continue speaking. But most of my experiences include people resorting to that reply out of apathy for what I'm saying or not taking me seriously. Like, "really? I don't care." Maybe it's just me? I misinterpret people's intentions a lot.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 3:19 pm

Sparx wrote:
I guess I should have seen that one coming.

If meant sincerely, I don't mind, as it is an invitation for me to continue speaking. But most of my experiences include people resorting to that reply out of apathy for what I'm saying or not taking me seriously. Like, "really? I don't care." Maybe it's just me? I misinterpret people's intentions a lot.

You seem to recognize that "Really?" has multiple meanings depending on how it's said, i.e., the tone of voice. If you can recognize a person's tone of voice accurately and people mean it in a disapproving way quite often, then it'd get pretty annoying. Usually when I say it, it's used to express surprise or interest, and I don't believe anyone ever says that to me, so I haven't come to dislike it.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 4:48 pm

What's the difference between NTs and autistics repeating phrases?

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 4:54 pm

League_Girl wrote:

Do autistics do it involuntarily? I'm pretty sure NTs do it on purpose.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2011, 5:15 pm

swbluto wrote:
League_Girl wrote:

Do autistics do it involuntarily? I'm pretty sure NTs do it on purpose.

I don't even know when I am doing it until someone points it out to and I go by scripts so I say oh or ah to let the person know I am listening to they don't think I am ignoring them. I just don't know what to say.