Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2014, 2:30 am

I was very young, and it was early. My family was living in a semi truck. We stopped at a rest area. On my way to the bathroom, I fainted and my forehead hit the corner of a brick wall. I couldn't have been more than 2 years old or so, maybe younger. Afterwards, when I was getting stitches, I didn't squirm or cry. The doctor said I was very brave.

I've recently met several people who sustained early childhood head injuries and brain damage. We have a lot of "little things" in common, more than anyone I've ever met before. I wonder if my Asperger's diagnosis could be from a case of brain damage, and if so, maybe it's not a correct diagnosis after all?

I'm not saying that's how it is for anyone else, those are just my experiences. Also, I'd like to know if it's possible for me to find out for sure.

dianthus
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 2:47 am

I had a similar head injury when I was 3. I hit my head on our brick porch steps and had to have stitches. I was different from you in that it took a few adults to hold me down on the table.

cberg
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 2:52 am

I think your doctor's response was probably one of redirected wonder at how tough kids can be. I've had concussions and plenty of nasty bruises (skiing and mountain biking), so there's of course some effect on my habits and routines. It's physically possible I think, since intense ASD reactions can involve varying degrees of cerebral harm, however I think in such moments most people lack a lot of strength as well. Despite many schools of hard knocks, I'm making inroads on becoming a senior software expert and I although I don't really believe he's autistic, I can see where my dad's heredity affected my thinking. I believe we would have to be discussing more severely concussive (e.g cerebellum encompassing), fast-impact damage in order for such a volume of neural traffic to heal into any pattern directly resembling visualized thoughts; the visual pathways are central but Autism spectrum diagnoses are well correlated with rather unique brain scans emphasizing that region.

The location of your injury could have some bearing on the kind of scan you'd need, but I think the specificity you're seeking comes from spectral imaging, I may have background knowledge but we're only using this forum.

-Gem Tos :mrgreen:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 4:08 am

When I saw this thread, I had been working on something for 6 hours, and the thread under this one ends in Yes, it actually does help, so I read this thread as Early Childhood Head Injury: Yes, It Actually Does Help.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 7:22 am

How long were you unconscious for?

KingdomOfRats
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 7:30 am

have also had a lot of brain injury,the first one as a toddler was through status epilepticus and other injuries to this day have come from severe incidents of headbanging without a helmet on, mine affected short term memory and visual processing-have got no short term memory at all though have recovered a little since the last bad one.
have got photos of self before the seizures which showed classic behaviors of autism.

TheCrookedFingers
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

28 Jan 2014, 9:51 am

I was born cyanotic so that could have resulted in some hypoxia. Also, when I was six months old I fell of my grandpa's bed head first. My parents sometimes joke saying that "explains everything" :lol:

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 1:17 pm

i was fell on ice in kindergarden and got knocked out for an hour, but i had ASD symptoms before that.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

neobluex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 3:23 pm

The record says that I was born with mild head trauma. I don't know the details.
Once I fell down the stairs in a public swimming pool. No loss of consciousness. I was crying but it didn't hurt. I also remember that I was pretending to be a robot (in my mind).

wetsail
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

28 Jan 2014, 5:01 pm

I'd say this is probably correlation and not causation, that the head injury you sustained has nothing to do with ASD or with permanent mental harm.

While childhood head injuries can cause complications down the road, just about every child on the face of the globe has sustained a head injury. Autism as a disorder has an intensely complex cause which, while it could be head injury, likely isn't.

As for the similarities you described, you could be having ASD alongside some other mental trauma from the head injury, which would explain the crossover between your symptoms and theirs.

Ettina
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 5:08 pm

Quote:
I wonder if my Asperger's diagnosis could be from a case of brain damage, and if so, maybe it's not a correct diagnosis after all?

Not exactly.

See, Asperger's is a 'symptom' diagnosis. Which means if you have the right set of symptoms, no matter what caused them, you qualify for the diagnosis. It doesn't matter if it's a single gene mutation (eg mild Fragile X Syndrome), an interaction between several different genes, prenatal exposure to something, a brain injury in early childhood, whatever. If you have the symptoms, you have Asperger's. Whether or not it was caused by a brain injury.

KWifler
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

28 Jan 2014, 6:18 pm

Oh, thanks, that is what I suspected, but I wasn't totally sure.
I was just thinking last night that it is possible that I could get MORE help for brain injury than for autism in my area, as far as I am aware, maybe I will look into it anyways.

devark
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jan 2014, 7:42 pm

Worst head injury I ever had was falling off my bike when I was 5, I was out cold for about 4-5 hours and woke up with a wet facecloth on my head in my living room and had no idea what had happen. Why my parents didn't take me to the er, ill never know.

FluttercordAspie93
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jan 2014, 7:57 pm

As a child, I had one too... But I didn't lose consciousness, thankfully.

RossKF
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jan 2014, 2:29 pm

KWifler wrote:
I was very young, and it was early. My family was living in a semi truck. We stopped at a rest area. On my way to the bathroom, I fainted and my forehead hit the corner of a brick wall. I couldn't have been more than 2 years old or so, maybe younger. Afterwards, when I was getting stitches, I didn't squirm or cry. The doctor said I was very brave.

I've recently met several people who sustained early childhood head injuries and brain damage. We have a lot of "little things" in common, more than anyone I've ever met before. I wonder if my Asperger's diagnosis could be from a case of brain damage, and if so, maybe it's not a correct diagnosis after all?

I'm not saying that's how it is for anyone else, those are just my experiences. Also, I'd like to know if it's possible for me to find out for sure.

This is very interesting as when I was very young in a pram aged around 18 months my mother was talking to someone and the pram jolted forwarded hurtling down the street and I ended up falling out of it headfirst. My mother still occasionally brings this up and wishes she had never done that to me and thinks it might have done something. But as I was fine according to Doctors I think it wasnt anything, I lean more towards the MMR jab I had at 4 for when it really came through but sometimes my mum wonders if it was her fault for that happening ( I dont blame her for that, it was an accident!).

But I was just interested to hear your story in relation to mine... hmm.

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jan 2014, 5:12 pm

I don't think I've ever been knocked out, but I had multiple childhood head injuries of varying severity. The first one or two I have no memories of, so I really don't know if I was unconscious at any point for them. I always, always had sensory sensitivity related sleeping problems (even as an infant), though, so I know nothing I did to myself made much of a difference in who I am.