Page 1 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

lelia
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 12:13 pm

Abbysquick: So what do you do? Leap over buildings?

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 12:21 pm

abyssquick wrote:
Yes, I don't walk on main roads because every a$$-hoal think's it's funny to honk at people on the sidewalk. I jump 3' every time it happens, get anxious and angry, so I just avoid walking on sidewalks entirely now.

That is why people are honking you! You aren't walking on the sidewalk! :wink:

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 12:25 pm

I'm not a jumpy person, i.e. I'm not nervous by nature. However I am easily startled. A sudden noise or unexpected movement and it grabs my attention too hard. Sometimes when I'm outdoors the neighbour shouts "Hello" and I swear that one day he will kill me with a heart attack. Part of the problem may be that I spend so much time occupied in my own thoughts or "own little world" that sudden sights and sounds are too unexpected.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 12:28 pm

I was on the bus and someone banged the window closed behind me, and I felt like I'd been physically hit... and the feeling lingered for ages afterward.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 12:33 pm

crmoore wrote:
Definitely I get startled by any sudden sound, flash of light, or unexpected movement. Needless to say, this affects me greatly when it comes to watching horror films. I found a way to get around that by watching them with the volume low (or even muted) with the captions/subtitles on.

This. I jump very noticeably during horror films. I startle other people! :lol:

I also get startled when people touch me when I'm not expecting it. I have to stop myself from reacting aggressively. It would be good if I had some sort of force field.

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 May 2011, 12:42 pm

Let me just say that based on experience, if I were to die early of a heart attack, it would be caused by someone suddenly speaking behind me, or a door bell ringing , or a cellphone blasting away suddenly. I've gotten some of my worst physical injuries; torn tendons, cuts, bruises & scrapes, pulled muscles, etc., from reacting to sudden noises. Sometimes I give such a violent jump, that I hit my head on a wall, or yank my arm along a sharp edge, etc. I can't help it. Once a policeman snuck up on me while I was parked on the side of the road looking at a map, and he was only trying to ask if I had a mechanical problem or needed a tow... I nearly slugged him as I hit the inside of the door so hard with my elbow that I dented the steel, and gave myself a bruise that lasted 2 weeks, and I couldn't use my left arm for at least 5 days. He thought by my reaction that I must be a wanted and dangerous felon, so he held me there for 40 minutes while checking and radioing and questioning.

Routinely, my pulse will stop for up to 3 or 4 seconds after a startle like that, and I then feel a heavy bump in my chest when it starts up again. Doctors say nothing's wrong, but it's scary.

Charles

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 12:47 pm

Moog wrote:
I was on the bus and someone banged the window closed behind me, and I felt like I'd been physically hit... and the feeling lingered for ages afterward.

It lingers with me sometimes like that; probably caused by an adrenaline surge triggering the body's fight or flight response.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:02 pm

I get easily startled. Someone's only got to quietly walk into the room and I really jump. My mum is like it aswell, and she's a non-Aspie.
But mine is probably related to my AS. Is it also a common Aspie thing to get agitated very easily? That's a problem for me too.

identity
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:04 pm

Funnily enough I just had a check up with the dentist and the dental nurse said to me a couple of times "Sorry I didn't mean to startle you!", I didn't really think anything of it as it's just the way I am in unfamiliar situations. I haven't really noticed this problem so much at home though. She also told me not to look so worried, I wasn't aware I did! I guess that's just normal for me :?

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:13 pm

y'know... they could saddle me up with a couple of tons "o" payload, and then say "boo" to me, and i'd more'n likely haul it all into into space i'm so jumpy.

sorry i had 2 drinks with someone i have since told to go home a small while ago,
"good riddance" is going to be the next title of a song i can think of that i am too tired now to explore but i will tomorrow,

sleep is my best friend right now so i am going to go to bed with it.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:26 pm

b9 wrote:
syrella wrote:
b9 wrote:
Quote:
Are you jumpy or easily startled?

are they not the same thing ?

Yes, they are. Think of the 'or' as inclusive, not as exclusive.

"or" is always "exclusive" as far as i am concerned. i can not imagine it as "inclusive" because it is conceptually wrong to do so. 'or' means "else" and "else" means "not this" (in a crude way of seeing it)
the original poster should have used the word "and" instead of "or", and then i could have formulated a considered answer.

i have two alarms beeping at me so i must go and check some things.

I am the original poster. Both types of 'or' exist, actually:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exclusive_or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inclusive_or

I meant the latter and it was simply my way of asking the same question twice, in hopes that one of the wordings would be more sufficient. Whatever the case, though, I'm sorry that my language wasn't clear.

For you or anyone else who is confused, please interpret the question as: "Are you jumpy and easily started?"

Daina
Raven
Raven

24 May 2011, 1:27 pm

Nope, I'm the opposite. Nothing startles me. Or everything does so I just block it out. I dislike sudden noises though.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 1:50 pm

syrella wrote:
Are you jumpy and easily started?

well no actually. i am "jumpy", but i am not easily "startled".

Zen
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 2:15 pm

I am, but I always thought it was because I would get so focused on something, whether it was something I was doing or just my own thoughts, that anything would take me by surprise. Though now that I think of it, I even jump when I go to play a video and the sound starts at too loud a volume, and I'm pretty much expecting that.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 3:55 pm

b9 wrote:
syrella wrote:
Are you jumpy and easily started?

well no actually. i am "jumpy", but i am not easily "startled".

Wait, weren't you saying just earlier that the two are essentially the same thing? And now you're saying that you are one but not the other? Isn't that a little contradictory? xD

Well, whatever the case, thanks for your response.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 3:59 pm

Zen wrote:
I am, but I always thought it was because I would get so focused on something, whether it was something I was doing or just my own thoughts, that anything would take me by surprise. Though now that I think of it, I even jump when I go to play a video and the sound starts at too loud a volume, and I'm pretty much expecting that.

Sometimes it might be a case of being lost in your thoughts, but I think for me it might just be case of being too sensitive to my environment.

Oh, and slightly unrelated, but I used to hate it when my dad would try to "fix" his stereo system. He would always turn the volume way up in an attempt to get it to work and then continue fiddling with the rest of the controls. It usually ended up with me being blasted by noise when he finally did hit the right combination of buttons. xD