Page 2 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 3:59 pm

Zen wrote:
I am, but I always thought it was because I would get so focused on something, whether it was something I was doing or just my own thoughts, that anything would take me by surprise. Though now that I think of it, I even jump when I go to play a video and the sound starts at too loud a volume, and I'm pretty much expecting that.

Sometimes it might be a case of being lost in your thoughts, but I think for me it might just be case of being too sensitive to my environment.

Oh, and slightly unrelated, but I used to hate it when my dad would try to "fix" his stereo system. He would always turn the volume way up in an attempt to get it to work and then continue fiddling with the rest of the controls. It usually ended up with me being blasted by noise when he finally did hit the right combination of buttons. xD

Taylor1002
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2011, 9:58 pm

I'll jump if somebody I didn't see talks to me, I hear a dog bark, or someone taps me on the shoulder. I'm horrible with screamers- once a friend sent me one and I actually shouted at it when it startled me.

Cassia
Toucan
Toucan

24 May 2011, 10:40 pm

I'm easily startled when people touch me unexpectedly. I don't have a general dislike for human touch (although I may have when I was very young), but because being touched unexpectedly startles me I don't like it.

I don't think I'm easily startled by most other sorts of things, although when I was borrowing my parents' cellphone during Christmas holidays, and it rang, I was very startled and jumped so that people around me found it amusing (and so did I). (I don't normally carry a cellphone.)

Now convinced that I'm a bit autistic, but still unsure if I'd qualify for a diagnosis, since it causes me few problems. Apparently people who are familiar with the autism spectrum can readily spot that I'm a bit autistic, though.

FTM
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 May 2011, 12:56 am

Noises don't startle me at all but touch me and I'll go through the roof. At a previous job one of the big staff jokes was to go around startleing each other. I'd be working in a dimly lit room and someone would jump out behind me screaming at the top of their voice, I'd turn and look and then just carry on working.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 May 2011, 1:44 am

I have had a startle reflex, although I think it's not as much as it once was. Sudden loud noises can get me, like someone knocking at my door. But a lot of things just don't do it - like scary movies or someone yelling, or the train whistle just did it this very moment and my reaction was pretty mild (okay, adrenaline, but I didn't jump or really even move).

When my anxiety gets going, everything sets me off about 10x as much as it does now.

matt
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 2:58 am

When I'm focused on something I tend to lose awareness of my surroundings. That makes it very easy to startle me.

Some people have noticed that. One person in particular used to intentionally startle me. She would walk up near me and watch me while I was focused because she knew that when I noticed that she was there I would be startled and would jump and shake.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 5:16 am

Hhmm, I don't know if it has to do with being startled, I don't like almost everything that is going on television todays. The tv-shows, commercials, movies, especially scary-movies have so much flicker, sound-effect, strange camera angle and view, shaking camera, that I've decided to ban television from my everyday life altogether. There is not to much to see, also. I don't like disturbing events even on the screen, nor do I like social drama that I don't understand anyway. The only exception when I watch something with somebody, and it is more scarce now than it used to be.

Tsukimi
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 May 2011, 5:21 am

Yes, I am easily startled by sudden touch and /or noises. My family is ashamed because they are afraid people thinks I have been abused, but there is nothing I can't do about it. Me too, I haven't outgrown my Moro reflex. I have also some kind of PTSD and I perfectly can tell the difference, even though it can appear similar from the outside.

syrella
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2011, 6:56 am

OJani wrote:
Hhmm, I don't know if it has to do with being startled, I don't like almost everything that is going on television todays. The tv-shows, commercials, movies, especially scary-movies have so much flicker, sound-effect, strange camera angle and view, shaking camera, that I've decided to ban television from my everyday life altogether. There is not to much to see, also. I don't like disturbing events even on the screen, nor do I like social drama that I don't understand anyway. The only exception when I watch something with somebody, and it is more scarce now than it used to be.

I'm of a similar mindset. I don't like all of the disturbing material and I'm not big into much of the dramas that are on TV. I find most of them to be pointless, like a lot of the celebrity worship that people seem to enjoy so much.

Then again, I haven't exactly had regular access to a TV in awhile.

When I do watch TV, though, I generally enjoy the cooking channel or the history channel. I also like random science programs and documentaries (Universe, anyone?)... and, of course, my other love is animation. Animated movies are often directed at kids so the material isn't excessively violent or difficult to watch. Even if I get a little too involved in the plot, I'm able to just sit back and enjoy the movie a bit more. :)

And yes, I can't watch scary movies... I jump a mile high anytime something unexpected occurs. Turning the volume down way low helps and I have done that before. Pausing for frequent breaks is also good (though yes, it does rather ruin the mood). My friend thought I was nuts, but hey, I got through the movie. :D

pirateprincess23
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jun 2018, 1:54 am

I jump when things and people aren't where I expect them to be or if they are where I wasn't expecting them. I will give an example from yesterday: my boyfriend's cousin was visiting, so I entered the room and saw her which was fine, but got halfway to the couch before I noticed her young son and I jumped out of my skin because I thought he was at home grounded.

It's like those videos of cats being startled by unexpected cucumbers. That's me. I'm the cat. And yes. I have been startled by unexpected vegetables.

HistoryGal
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2018, 8:14 am

No offense taken.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

08 Jun 2018, 8:52 am

I've always been but I probably have PTSD from being bullied alot as a kid so I'm not sure if it's that or autism thing or just my bad anxiety in general.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

jon85
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2018, 8:58 am

yes! And it does my head in! Particularly when runners always whiz past me from behind when i have my earphones in. Always makes me jump!

Stunning Images On T-Shirts, Homeware and More!!

Lellynelly
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

09 Jun 2018, 7:03 am

Yes I’m definitely startled easily. All me friends know I’m very ‘jumpy’ fortunately they don’t wind me up by startling me deliberately as they know I would get really upset by it. When I was a child and in my 20s and 30s I always just thought I was a ‘jumpy’ person. When I was in my early to mid 40s I thought it was because I was losing my hearing a bit so I don’t hear people/things coming - I used that as an excuse andncame to believe it myself. I then got diagnosed with sensory processing disorder, and now I have a diagnosis of asd so with hindsight I’m pretty sure it's been related to my sensory processing all along. I didnt realise it is common with asd