Page 1 of 4 [ 63 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 3:54 am

Do you sometimes find that you have a hard time with certain things because of your ears. I am not talking about things like lawnmowers, or vaccum cleaners, or fireworks. I am talking about if your tv might be making weird noises that only you can hear. Or other electronics that only seem to bother you.

Guilliman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2011, 3:58 am

I always hear background static. But I'm used to it by now.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 4:05 am

Does it seem to go away when music is playing?

Guilliman
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 May 2011, 4:20 am

Nope.

PokeyLaLa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2011, 4:21 am

if a TV is off but still on it bothers me very much. my family says it makes no noise but i have to unplug it completely to go to sleep.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 4:25 am

It just my tv and it doesnt seem to make much noise during sporting events or music. But when its just talking there is some background noise. It doesnt really bother me I just dont know what it is.

PokeyLaLa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2011, 4:29 am

i think it sounds like telephone lines. there were some very loud telephone lines at a park near my old house. i hated that place.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 4:34 am

I can hear those high pitch sounds older TVs make when on mute or on a blank screen or turned down. With the sound on, it tunes out the sound. I can even tell if a TV is on without looking at it. I can even tell if there is a TV nearby without having to see it. But sometimes they would bother me and no one else could hear them but me. So I had to deal with the sound.

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 4:37 am

Yeah I will probably not notice it at all. I think I would rather be slightly bothered by the tv than have ringing in my ears for the rest of my life.

PokeyLaLa
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 May 2011, 4:53 am

League_Girl wrote:
I can hear those high pitch sounds older TVs make when on mute or on a blank screen or turned down. With the sound on, it tunes out the sound. I can even tell if a TV is on without looking at it. I can even tell if there is a TV nearby without having to see it. But sometimes they would bother me and no one else could hear them but me. So I had to deal with the sound.

the sound tortures me. just go unplug it.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 6:24 am

old tv's, oh boy...
yeah, they produce a quite high-pitched sound when on standby, and that pitch increases when it's turned 'fully' on, noone seems to hear that, even the ones that do, sometimes, hear the initial standby sound say it goes away when you turn on the tv; it doesn't...

also, our tv has a broken mute button, even if says the sound is 'muted', i still hear sounds, enough to give me an indication of what's on (news, movie, gameshow, commercials) without looking at it.

alexi
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 May 2011, 7:05 am

I have issues with certain phone rechargers and my printer. The high-pitched noise drives me insane, but others say that they can't hear it at all. My printer only needs to be plugged in and I can't be in the room. It was one of those "didn't know everyone didn't experience that" moments for me.

dunbots
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 7:09 am

League_Girl wrote:

You described it for me perfectly. 8)

Also, like alexi, I have heard phone chargers buzzing too, although I've never asked anyone else if they could hear it too, like I have for TVs.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 7:29 am

Old cathode-ray tube TV-s had a high-pitch noise at the row-frequency, at approx. 15-16 kHz. Ironically, declining hearing helps to overcome it a lot, but where are those CRTs now? I think I have one, the last TV for quite a period, I suspect, because I don't watch TV anymore at home...

I'm more bothered by super-cheap clock-radios, that my colleagues listen to all day at my workplace, they just don't get the idea that it freaks me out, totally. I don't know what to do with this problem, I tried to bring it to their knowledge without success, and I don't have the courage to go further, and discuss it with them explicitly, and put in sight that if it won't change, I must go further to my boss. I tried it before peacefully, without any success. Nobody seems to care. I would have to emphasize "It is a workplace, and everybody has the right to a normally acceptable environment (incl. silence), and if someone wants music, do it home, or have earphones."

thewrll
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 7:35 am

I guess if it only affects one person its doesnt matter to other people.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2011, 7:48 am

The sound my playstation 2 makes when my roommates turn off the TV but not the gaming console is pretty bad, but I also hate that high-pitched sound that a camera flash makes when it's charging. Birthday parties are the worst.