Changing stimming behavior with roommates in the house.

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Dargo
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Sep 2015, 8:57 pm

Am I the only one who has changed the kind of stimming I do, because of roommates or others who might find it weird?
I used to live on the bottom floor with nothing but concrete under the carpet in my room, so when I got home I could go in my room and jump on the floor as much as I wanted without fear of being heard. My room was a safe place where I could be as asperger's as I needed to be without making myself look as autistic as I was, but now that I live in a different place with roommates right under me, I am no longer comfortable doing this. I am comfortable pacing in my room to try to replace the jumping, but it isn't like it used to be, and I feel just a little less safe and free in this room. Even when the door is closed, I can't quite get away with being myself.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

23 Sep 2015, 6:48 am

I think you are being very considerate and good natured towards your housemates.

You could do core strength exercises in your room, this does need any special equipment. Is there somewhere outside that you could do the jumping, you could include other exercises if you are concerned how it may look to other people.