Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 5:16 pm

Me and two friends where out eating lunch today, and got into a discussion of racial placement in Wow, I know, not very intellectual, but one of them was wondering if, the wargens(sp) turned into beasts, why did the alliance keep them? Thus I felt compelled to rationalized why a “good side” would keep “bad races” . . . and next thing I knew I was sitting alone at the table while one of them hastily excused herself to get dessert and the other fled to the restroom and I was left sitting alone at the table, staring at our left overs and thinking “uh-oh”.

I thought I was old enough by now to recognize, albeit late, that I was blubbering or talking AT people rather than to people but I can’t figure out for the life of me what I did wrong this time!

I understand that well autistic brains really don't get it most of the time, but serious, what did I do? o,0

Pip
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Mar 2013, 5:41 pm

I can't say I have an answer to your question, but I can tell you this has happened to me many times. In my case it is usually because I either offended someone, rambled incessantly, or I dominated the conversation.

eric76
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 5:53 pm

The strange thing is that if you were a billionaire, they would not have left the table at all and would probably have bragged later about being there.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 6:57 pm

eric76 wrote:
The strange thing is that if you were a billionaire, they would not have left the table at all and would probably have bragged later about being there.

:lol: You've just nailed the solution! We've all got to become eccentric billionaires! :lol: (instead of just eccentric.)

I kid, but you are bang on about this. A good friend of mine I was talking to about some philosophical/political opinion stated that first people have to typically earn a lot of money in order to be respected & listened to for their views. I countered and asked him how much money Jesus or Mother Teresa or The Buddha had - because people are still listening to what they had to say, because what they had to say was of value vs. people merely accepting what they said because they had achieved a high level of financial success. He agreed with me & said I kind of had him there.. but pointed out that in modern day society, money is power and people aren't going to listen to someone who hasn't achieved some higher level status in our modern ways of measuring achievement. (Monetary wealth.)

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 6:58 pm

Pretty much any time I get really into something--start to really deeply enjoy the ideas that I am exploring--I know it's time to shut my mouth.

I am pretty good about this now, but sometimes I look at one of the people "in the conversation" and see the start of that glazed over look and know I missed the right moment to stop.

I usually try a joke of some kind, or just come out and apologize for going on.

Sometimes I will ask my wife to hear out soemthing, even though I know she won't be thrilled by it--she just really doesn't care about stellar evolution or the orbits of clusters around massive galaxies, unbelievable ast that may seem. I think it's a fair trade for those times when I go with her to that hell-pn-earth called the mall and try not to be obviously bored by shoes. This is a very deep kind of tenderness and caring between us. Seriously.

Mirror21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 7:34 pm

Adamantium wrote:
Pretty much any time I get really into something--start to really deeply enjoy the ideas that I am exploring--I know it's time to shut my mouth.

I feel like this a lot, too and I am about sick and tired of being devalued because others are just too self-centered to care about anything else except for what they consider valuable. If someone comes to me and spends two hours talking to me of something that means a great deal to them I LISTEN, and give them the same amount of consideration I think I deserve, but when the coin is reversed, people do not give a s**t, ever.

Every time I am optimistic about something, someone just makes me feel like s**t and you know what? I am not gonna have it. I am sick adn tired of being considered a lesser human.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 7:40 pm

^ you know what you guys need?

An Aspie friend that has mutual special interests. Seriously.

This is not just a nicety or social coping mechanism method to employ for little kids to get some friend time; this is f*****g awesome. I used profanity because the benefits of it are profound. Seriously. One of my closest friends is also an Aspie, and other friends as well, and when we get together and hang out we do the very textbook stereotypical thing of exchanging information, teaching each other things etc, about mutual special interests... and it's awesome. I can talk and talk about something we're both into while he listens, or the other way around, and neither of us gets bored or irritated. We just wait, absorb the info, then reply or ask questions and carry on, sometimes for hours. We've done this intuitively since before either of us even knew we were on the spectrum, and now it makes so much sense as to why.

Get to know another aspie in real life that's interested in what you're into, whether they're even aware of their own AS or not, and it truly makes for some f*****g awesome hangouts vs. the social awkwardness with NT's.

VIDEODROME
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2013, 8:02 pm

Was the friend asking a question rhetorically? It seems like a strange thing where a person asks something even though they're not looking for a serious answer.

Sometimes if I'm in doubt I try and expressive shrug or say "I dunno".

Or maybe the other option is to respond with a joke answer. Make up a ridiculous dry humor explanation.

Stargazer43
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 2:48 am

I don't know anything about the topic, but since it had racial undertones, perhaps they got offended by the conversation? After all, race can be a very touchy subject...even if you were technically talking about fictional races!

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 4:18 am

Stargazer43 wrote:
I don't know anything about the topic, but since it had racial undertones, perhaps they got offended by the conversation? After all, race can be a very touchy subject...even if you were technically talking about fictional races!

That could certainly be it.. as they may have interpreted what the OP said as him believing in good/bad races & racial superiority/inferiority etc.

OP: Are you & the two others in the conversation all the same race/ethnic background? If not, that very well could have been what obliterated the flow of conversation and had them looking for an exit. Even if so it could still be the cause.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2013, 11:05 am

Unless they play WOW they probably had no interest in the subject, if they play WOW they still probably have only a limited attention span on a particular topic.
People seem to have less and less attention spans now days. I'm surprised they make it all the way through songs.
Personally, I deleted my worgen after getting through the start zone because I couldn't stand all the snorting noises they make.

Adamantium
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2013, 11:28 am

This reminds me of a rule for work email.

The goal is to try to make your point in no more than three sentences. It is not always possible, but it's a good goal.

For something like this, I think: if my reply is going to be more than a few sentences, summarize until it is. They will ask if they want to know. They will change the subject if not. Be sure to give them the room to do that.

Tori0326
Toucan
Toucan

06 Mar 2013, 12:08 pm

Adamantium wrote:

The goal is to try to make your point in no more than three sentences. It is not always possible, but it's a good goal.

I like that! Sounds like a good rule of thumb. Thanks for sharing.