Yes 46%  46%  [ 26 ]
No 49%  49%  [ 28 ]
Other 5%  5%  [ 3 ]
Total votes : 57

Malisha
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

17 Jun 2011, 8:01 pm

I was talking at six months old and I never put my thumbs in my fists. I do however have a stim of squeezing my fists repetitively. I've been doing it since I was about that age, almost always to process unpleasant stimuli.

OneStepBeyond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2011, 8:37 pm

8O i do that. i remember someone telling me i punch wrong. not that i go around punching things:/

but i was an early talker...

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 6:07 am

Aimless wrote:
This is interesting I think. I looked up a few sites on tif in infants, apparently it is normal in newborns but is supposed to go away fairly soon. I was trying to find out what it means when it continues into adulthood. I think I stopped when I started taking antidepressants and I was 35 then. My brother is a neonatologist, I'll ask him.

Please let us all know what your brother says. Like you, I'd also be really interested in knowing what it means when it continues into adulthood. Before I read that article I never really gave it much thought.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2011, 6:19 am

Indy wrote:
Aimless wrote:
This is interesting I think. I looked up a few sites on tif in infants, apparently it is normal in newborns but is supposed to go away fairly soon. I was trying to find out what it means when it continues into adulthood. I think I stopped when I started taking antidepressants and I was 35 then. My brother is a neonatologist, I'll ask him.

Please let us all know what your brother says. Like you, I'd also be really interested in knowing what it means when it continues into adulthood. Before I read that article I never really gave it much thought.

He hadn't heard of the study (he's retired). He did say that there were some primitive reflexes that indicate cortical damage when they stay past the time they're suppose to stop or if they reappear. He figured that the adulthood thing was just anxiety.

flyingdutchman
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2011, 7:36 am

I still do that, and so do some other people in my family. None of us have a language delay, only one person has a stutter.
I did hear my mother also say it is related to anxiety, but I also seem to do it when I am at ease, so I'm not sure about that.

Indy
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 11:58 am

Aimless wrote:
Indy wrote:
Aimless wrote:

He hadn't heard of the study (he's retired). He did say that there were some primitive reflexes that indicate cortical damage when they stay past the time they're suppose to stop or if they reappear. He figured that the adulthood thing was just anxiety.

Thanks for letting us know. He might be right about the adulthood thing being related to anxiety. Don't think it's that in my case though. Like flyingdutchman, I do it when I'm relaxed.

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 1:48 pm

Indy wrote:
Aimless wrote:
Indy wrote:
Aimless wrote:

Thanks for letting us know. He might be right about the adulthood thing being related to anxiety. Don't think it's that in my case though. Like flyingdutchman, I do it when I'm relaxed.

This study I read the other day says it could mean some mental developmental delay but it didn't say what exactly..

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 2:50 pm

I did it all the time. It was my default position, hand-wise. I don't think about not doing it now either. It was probably overall generalized anxiety.

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 2:50 pm

I did it all the time. It was my default position, hand-wise. I don't think about not doing it now either. It was probably overall generalized anxiety.

Surfman
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 3:34 pm

My ex girlfriend did it, she was on the spectrum.

I have since developed a habit of holding my sleeve or curling my hands, usually when sleeping

I reckon I 'caught' it from her.

It may be viral in origin...........

Slug on a Bike
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Jul 2018, 8:43 am

When I walk
I hold my thumbs
in my fists
and pulse squeeze
them
with my fingers.

People
mistake it
for clenched fists
and assume
I walk around
angry all the time.

Nope.
Thumb hugs.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

13 Jul 2018, 10:50 am

I don't remember ever doing that. I think I may of learned to talk slightly later than average.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SpacePuppy
Butterfly
Butterfly

13 Jul 2018, 3:05 pm

I've always held my thumbs in my fists, especially when I'm feeling stressed/upset or overwhelmed (the more I'm struggling with things, the harder I squeeze them). I didn't have any language delay as far as I'm aware.

losingit1973
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jul 2018, 10:59 pm

I did this as a child, and received a lot of grief for it. It started creeping back about two years ago, and is now once again my default position. I will repeatedly squeeze my thumbs when anxious to the point of causing joint pain. My mother reports that I did not talk until age four. Back then it was assumed that it was due to the almost constant ear infections. I see this in my kids who are diagnosed on the spectrum as well as one who I suspect is on the spectrum. Only one of them showed a delay in speech.

AQ 42

Aavikkorotta
Raven
Raven

13 Jul 2018, 11:30 pm

I do occasionally. Who's gonna stop me?

Lately I've enjoyed a rhythm of punching my left palm with my right knuckles, right palm with me left knuckles, repeat. I don't close a fist for that though.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jul 2018, 2:37 pm

I had this kid in my school who was a snitch. He got angry at me one time and he always had his thumbs in his fists. Told him he could hit me full force and I wouldn't hit him back. Worth it! :lol: :mrgreen: