Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Have you ever gotten a Henna Tattoo?
Yes 38%  38%  [ 6 ]
No 63%  63%  [ 10 ]
Total votes : 16

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

17 Jul 2011, 1:04 am

I just recently got a henna tattoo, which is a brown tattoo that lasts around two to three weeks. But since I got it, my entire forearm (where it is located) has been extremely irritated and itchy. I think this is due to my sensitive skin, and I'm getting a little put off.

On the bright side though, my wrist smells like lemon. :)

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 2:10 am

First of all, why is this posted in the general autism discussion?

Secondly, I have never had a henna tattoo, and I can't say that I'd want one either.

But, if you are having an allergic reaction to it, this could be serious. Based on a quick Google search, while natural henna tattoos are perfectly safe, some artificial tattoos contain a chemical called para-phenylenediamine, also known as PPD. Some people have extreme allergic reactions to this chemical, which consist of itching and blisters. If that is the case, you should see a doctor as soon as possible.

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/warnings.html

pree10shun
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 4:28 am

yes see a doctor my friend had a very serious allergic reaction to artificial henna.

kittie
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 6:59 am

Second what everyone else has said - see a doctor.

But anyway, yep, I love henna art (don't know if I'm good at it or not, but I do it anyway!), pretty much because it's the only type of patterns I enjoy. After I while I started buying henna cones so I didn't have to do it in pen all the time and so it'd look like a 'proper' henna tattoo. :D

I have photos of my pen-style henna though. :P

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 5902_n.jpg
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 9363_n.jpg
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos- ... 7512_n.jpg

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2011, 7:30 am

I was going to mention the PPD but someone beat me to it! And with a link...

Any itching or discomfort after using dyes whether for hair or skin should be checked by a doctor. The chances are that it's not dangerous and will probably just go off, but there is also a chance it could become more serious. If you are allergic to PPD, you will need to be careful in the future to avoid hair dyes (especially black), tattoos and in worst case scenario you will also have to be careful of black clothing which can contain PPD.

General advice for anyone wanting a henna tattoo (non-permanent):

Always go for brown henna as this is less likely to cause a reaction
Avoid getting henna tattoos while on holiday in foreign countries as the rules on PPD aren't as strict in some countries. Ironically England is pretty backwards on it's PPD rules despite it causing so many problems!
Always go to professional places to get the tattoos done.

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2011, 9:45 am

No, because (wow, this is gonna sound weird) I have this problem sometimes with seeing my body as parts, pieces, instead of a whole thing that is all me, and I think even a temp tattoo would make it worse.

Also, when I got a nose piercing once it turned out I was allergic to surgical steel, and THAT was a gross experience. So, yeah, I would see a doctor.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

17 Jul 2011, 12:21 pm

SammichEater wrote:
First of all, why is this posted in the general autism discussion?

Secondly, I have never had a henna tattoo, and I can't say that I'd want one either.

But, if you are having an allergic reaction to it, this could be serious. Based on a quick Google search, while natural henna tattoos are perfectly safe, some artificial tattoos contain a chemical called para-phenylenediamine, also known as PPD. Some people have extreme allergic reactions to this chemical, which consist of itching and blisters. If that is the case, you should see a doctor as soon as possible.

http://www.hennapage.com/henna/warnings.html

I don't know... it was midnight and I wanted to put in this... I was just too tired to figure it out. :lol:

It's not as bad as it was yesterday.