Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Legre
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

15 Jul 2011, 8:45 am

I can do many things at same time, i can easily drive my car at 80mph, listen to 4 conversations and do anything else IF I DON'T TALK.
While i'm talking, i can not pay enough attention to anything else.

gnatterfly
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

15 Jul 2011, 9:40 am

Tell me about it! I'm trying to be an active listener, but it doesn't come easy to me. Now, multitasking is something I do very very well!

nemorosa
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 9:57 am

Lucky you. I can't. Any task absorbs me 100%.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 12:00 pm

i'm glad i'm not the only monotasker. when i was growing up, it was said about me that i couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time.

Arak-Nafein
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

15 Jul 2011, 12:23 pm

I'm not very good at multitasking. I can only do one, or maybe two things at a time.

But, I'm very good at planning & making efficient use of my time. Micro-management down to the smallest details. And example: I just came back from the snack room at my office. I placed my dollar bill into the coke machine, and during the slight pause where it was reading and accepting it I inserted another dollar into the chip machine. By that time, the coke machine was ready for my drink selection. Then, during the small pause before the drink is dumped & the change delivered I made my chip selection. Effectively cut my drink & chip purchasing time down to half. :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 6:04 pm

I can only do two things at a time at the most.

OddFiction
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 6:48 pm

Yeah.
Talking, or explaining something to someone,
Especially if it isn't a preplanned event,
And isn't an interest,
Can sometimes be the biggest trial of a day.
I can relate.

By simply doing what they are designed to do something large and magnificient happens. In this sense they show us how to live; The only barometer you have is your heart. When you spot your flower, you can't let anything get in your way. - John Laroche

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

15 Jul 2011, 6:59 pm

There is no such thing!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8qLknWJL0[/youtube]

Aimless
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 7:10 pm

I wish, but no. As a matter of fact I'm getting less and less able to process 2 things at once.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 8:48 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
There is no such thing!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hr8qLknWJL0[/youtube]

Hah. I knew it. But nobody ever listens to the SammichEater.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 10:20 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
There is no such thing!

i beg to differ- i knew a filipino housekeeper [at the hospital where i used to work] who spoke several languages fluently and obviously was extremely intelligent [she was slumming because she just came to this country and was trying to get an economic foothold here]- one day she saw me ineptly playing with my tetris game, dimly struggling to get past a few thousand points, and she spontaneously took it from my hands and while simultaneously discussing intelligence and learning theory with me, she glanced now and then at the tetris game and furiously yet absently worked the controls- in just a few minutes she made the machine go to 100,000 points and made the rocket take off at the end. and she only paid partial attention to the game while animatedly chatting with me. she could not have been merely switching attention, due to the vocabulary and concepts she was expressing while chatting with me, in addition to the intense high-level cognitive requirements of the game.

another example are musicians who play the traps [drum set] or theatrical wurlitzer organ- in both those instruments one has to move all of one's arms and legs out of full visual observation range, requiring acute levels of proprioception. in addition, in using the unique wurlitzer "2nd touches" [2nd contacts beneath the keys and pedals, which allow a quick-thinking performer to simultaneously play a chord or melodic figure while pressing a little hard on certain keys or pedals to play a counterpoint melodic figure], the multitasking reaches yet a higher level of complexity. switching between tasks cannot apply here because the performer's arms and legs are moving simultaneously along non-parallel, non-syncronized action paths, much too quickly for switching to be effective.

if these things are not examples of multitasking, then nothing is. what true multitaskers all have in common, is very high native intelligence and the total absense of any physical defects or organic brain addlements. simply put, [like the original astronauts who were all multitaskers themselves] they all have "the right stuff." the rest of us muddle through life ineptly, in comparison.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 10:31 pm

I think I've figured it all out now. The reason why it's said that we lack an ability to multitask is because changing from one task to another is much more difficult for us. The only way for anyone to multitask is to frequently change from thinking about one thing to another several times in seconds.

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 10:33 pm

I'm afraid that hyper-threading is not for me. I will have to be content with over-clocking single-threading in lieu of hyper-threading BSoDing.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jul 2011, 10:40 pm

SammichEater wrote:
I think I've figured it all out now. The reason why it's said that we lack an ability to multitask is because changing from one task to another is much more difficult for us. The only way for anyone to multitask is to frequently change from thinking about one thing to another several times in seconds.

more like several times PER second. :idea:

PrivateEyes
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Jul 2011, 8:49 am

I can do about 4 things at the same time. I can listen to music, hum along to it while picking my nose and reading a book. :D

No, truthfully, I'm a terrible multi-tasker For any task I do I have to set a quick routine and if that routine is disrupted I can't easily get back to the task. I get side tracked and then the task doesn't get done.

keerawa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

17 Jul 2011, 9:18 am

I can have one thing at the front of my mind, like a conversation, while doing something else that doesn't require much thought, like writing a note. But typically, by choice, I do one thing at a time, jumping from one to another at what my brain considers good stopping points.