Why so many aspies are mistaken for being younger

Page 1 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 6:03 pm

I also look young for my age. People usually guess that I'm 22 years old and I'm 36 years old.

Phonic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 6:40 pm

I look young, particularly because my beard is so fair that it seems like my face is very clean.

undefineable
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

28 Jul 2011, 6:40 pm

Isn't it obviously cos the brain of an autistic is less active than that of an NT over the course of a lifetime - I mean isn't the brain supposed to use up 90% of the body's energy?!

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 11:04 pm

When I acting pretty NT, I get mistaken for being younger.

Examples:

-At the movies, I often get given a child ticket (I'm 16 and child tickets are for those 13 and younger)
-I was on the ferry when I was about 13 or 14 and they wanted to give me a child ticket (which are for kids 11 and younger)
-I have been to restaurants where they give me the kids menu without asking (It seems like, when I want a kids menu, they give me an adult menu, and when I want an adult menu, they give me a kid's menu) :lol:
-The minim age to go to the local gym is 16. I usually get asked how old I am.

However, once someone tried to sell me a credit card at a train station because they thought I was 19.

I do dress young though. I think short shorts and short skirts are kind of ugly on me. I also don't like bellybutton shirts or other types of "teenage shirts". Also, I would have to be given a a tour of my favourite band's tour bus and free tickets to there next 3 concerts to any shoes except Crocs, running shoes or pool shoes.

I look around 12-14 and I'm 16. I look older when I am in the pool for some reason.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jul 2011, 11:16 pm

I get that a lot! I`m also 22 and I`ve been told I look 16. I am very immature for my age and learn a lot from kid shows too!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 9:38 am

Funny - when I go to the cinema to see an 18-rated film, I'm not allowed because I look too young, but when I want to pay child price anywhere I go, I'm not allowed because I look over 16 or over 18.

EmmaUK12
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 9:46 am

I'm not sure why but it does seem like most of us look younger than we are.

When I was 16 I passed for 12 while I was on holiday in New York. People think i'm about 16, so not too much younger than I am, but I know I could pass for younger with hardly any effort (no make up).

pokerface
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:15 pm

I'm 44 and people tell me that I look a lot younger. I think it's because of the fact that I'm tiny and slender.

I don't take it as a compliment when people tell me that they think I'm younger than I really am because I feel so immature compared to other people of my age.

Last edited by pokerface on 29 Jul 2011, 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reindeer
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jul 2011, 3:22 pm

My dad is turning 39 and he acts like a 25 year old also dress like it.
He dosen't have asperger's though only tourette and ADHD which he both denies...

I dress like a person on my age so people thinks I am from 16-19 sometimes even though I am 16

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 7:12 pm

Reindeer wrote:
He dosen't have asperger's though only tourette and ADHD which he both denies...

Does he have mild tourettes? I can understand how people can deny ADHD because you can't see it. How on earth can you deny tourettes though? What else would one prefer to attribute their tics to, especially if they are very noticeable tics?

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

Sectumsempra
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

29 Jul 2011, 9:05 pm

I think it's to do with behaviour and the way we dress. I've been told people think I'm about 12 years old because
1. I look at everything with 'childish wonder' as if it's all new to me.
2. I like things that are usually aimed at entertaining children.
3. I barely look at anyone, or speak to anyone.
4. I wear boot style slippers instead of shoes and apparently don't dress like other people my age.
5. I like to sit on floors and in corners. I'm safer that way.

Jonsi
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 10:01 pm

My problem is that I am A. Short and B. Have a young face.

That and I'm just weird.

NorrYtt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2011, 3:03 am

I'm 31, get called 23 or so. I sat down for a community band rehearsal among 40+ yo and the teen drummer thought I was in high school.

I've never had a drop of alcohol in my life so that might help.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jul 2011, 3:05 am

Jonsi wrote:
My problem is that I am A. Short and B. Have a young face.

That and I'm just weird.

Me too, but I think there's more to it than that. Maybe because we don't use our facial muscles as much?

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2011, 3:48 am

Im two years off being 40 and I constantly get told that I look twenty and some people think Im a teenager. I thank them for the compliment. Im going grey and my eyebrows are also going grey boy I wish I could have the energy that I did when I was young. I have nanna naps in the afternoon now and listen to Am station 4bc and get tired after walking round the shops for 4 hours I fall asleep in the back of the car.

Jediyoda
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

30 Jul 2011, 4:04 am

I also dont act my age and I also dont dress someone my age either. My room looks like a teenagers room with posters on the wall of different movies, funny posters, science fiction, band posters, lava lamps, gaming consoles and transformers, computer game, star wars figurines and yoda backpack and I still sleep in a single bed.