Is it normal for an autistic to have weak shoulders?

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

iheartmegahitt
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 12:39 am

Or not really just shoulders but have generally weak muscles I guess. I've always had shoulder problems that can't be defined as an actual problem. They start hurting really badly if I do repetitive movements with them; especially my right shoulder. There are so many people who think I am lazy because I can't use my shoulders a lot or they start hurting bad. I've gotten them tested and doctored but either its the pain intolerance or its something to do with poor motor coordination, I really have no idea.

Are there any other autistics who have this problem or any similar problem?

Diagnosed with an autistic disorder (Not AS but mild to moderate classic Autism), ADHD, Learning Disability, intellectual disability and severe anxiety (part of the autism); iPad user; written expressionist; emotionally-sensitive

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2011, 1:30 am

It could be a result of poor posture. Many autistic people walk 'differently'. I often get shoulder and lower back pain, but, having said that, so do lots of people.

Last edited by sfreyj on 07 Aug 2011, 3:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 1:33 am

My shoulders are extremely weak. I'm not sure if this is AS related though.

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 5:30 am

my shoulders are actually quite strong, but i do have a lot of problems with them, due to bad posture.
i have learned to walk and stand straight up, while 'naturally', i prefer to slouch a little, this causes stress on my muscles.
also, most tables and desks are too low for me (i'm close to 2 meters or 6'6") making me bend my shoulders to type or write.

however, it is a mixed blessing, as i can stretch the discomfort out quite easilly, which happens to be socially accepted, and at the same time work as a stim, so i can stim away and get away with it by blaming my shoulders ;)

Jellybean
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 5:35 am

I wouldn't say its definitely AS related but I have general muscle weakness, especially in my shoulders and arms. I also dislocate my fingers quite easily which HURTS!! !

floating
Raven
Raven

07 Aug 2011, 7:59 am

I have hypotonia in the shoulders, which is low muscle tone. I think hypotonia might be common in people with ASD.

fairie_child
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2011, 8:43 am

Low muscle tone is common for people with ASDs. Also hypermobility of the joints, caused by too soft or too stretchy ligaments. Which is, I think, more evidence of ASDs being a genetic condition.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 8:47 am

I think most women have weak shoulders, unless they're bigger built. Not sure about men though.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 10:39 am

I have problems with my muscle tone too, my shoulders are not a real problem. But my back is, I can easy get back pains etc.

Maybe I should visit a therapist again to work at my posture, as I have in the past. And I took extra insurance for therapeutic help, in case my back problems get worse (and I expect it will pay off).

kx250rider
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Aug 2011, 11:27 am

With all due respect, I have to disagree with the theory that ASD or Autism has anything to do with physical weakness or joint problems. I'm HFA, and I have no weakness whatsoever in my shoulders, although I do have a bad back. I know others on the Spectrum who also have average or normal strength in shoulders and overall, so I think it's just by chance; not genetic, if an Aspie or with HFA happens to have a muscular weakness, etc.

Charles

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 1:28 pm

The problem with muscle tone is described by Hans Asperger himself in 1944 and also mentioned by Attwood. But it is considered not one of the most defining features, so not all need to have this problem.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 3:08 pm

I have very strong shoulders. I have bigger arms and shoulders than even most of the men Stepping Stones which is my clubhouse. I'm not ashamed of it and I take it as a compliment when people call me Sir.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

07 Aug 2011, 4:15 pm

I'm very strong in my shoulders, arms, neck, and legs. My mother wonders where I get it, my dad was also scratching his head for awhile, my sister is envious, and my step-dad lets me handle lots of heavy lifting, especially with his hurt back. :)

So no, I don't have weak shoulders.

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 7:35 pm

It's my arms that have always been weak while my legs are stronger. I can't do chin ups to save my life and can barely do push ups. I have to use my knees to do push ups and even then I can only do a few at a time. I might as well forget about doing the kind of push ups involving the feet.

peaceloveerin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2011, 7:49 pm

I don't have any weakness in my shoulders and I don't think there is a link between AS and low muscle tone. Yes, I'm not very toned but I don't think its because of AS.

Sparhawke
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2011, 8:56 pm

I have never really been a strongman whereas my older brother is, what i do have that my brothers don't though is a tenacity to keep on going where everyone would tend to give up, especially with walking.

I was once backpacking outside of Paris and ended up 50km away in a couple of days with a 150lb backpack on and just carried on going, I have often thought of doing something for charity along the same lines but never seem to get around to it, forget running though lol