Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2011, 6:58 pm

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2011, 11:27 pm

swbluto,

Is there a POTENTIAL TYPE of affectation? YES! Is it the same, or definitly present and unique? NOPE!

So I don't know why you are trying it. Is it mentioned in the DSM? NOPE! Do doctors use it to detect AS? NOPE!

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

09 Aug 2011, 11:36 pm

swbluto wrote:
There's a sense of intuition about inferring others' intentions that goes beyond studying. And, the "whole package" suggests a noticeably higher level of NT-ness than average around these parts.

I can do that trick under particular circumstances. I've seen others do it too. I wouldn't make assumptions.

Quote:
And, no, I don't consider the term 'NT' derogatory anymore than I do 'aspie'. I've recently learned that I'm probably NT myself, though ADHD, so I hope it's not a bad thing.

ADHD isn't neurotypical. It's yet another version of a differently functioning brain.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

09 Aug 2011, 11:54 pm

2ukenkerl wrote:
swbluto,

Is there a POTENTIAL TYPE of affectation? YES! Is it the same, or definitly present and unique? NOPE!

So I don't know why you are trying it. Is it mentioned in the DSM? NOPE! Do doctors use it to detect AS? NOPE!

Actually, it's called "Odd prosody, peculiar voice characteristics". It's a part of Gillberg's 1991 diagnostic criteria for Aspergers Syndrome.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

10 Aug 2011, 12:01 am

Verdandi wrote:
swbluto wrote:
There's a sense of intuition about inferring others' intentions that goes beyond studying. And, the "whole package" suggests a noticeably higher level of NT-ness than average around these parts.

I can do that trick under particular circumstances. I've seen others do it too. I wouldn't make assumptions.

That's good, but from your posts, you're a bit too consistently logical, serious and unemotional for your "whole package" to be considered NT-like, so I wouldn't guess you display a large amount of NT characteristics on the basis of that alone. Btw, I don't think there's anything wrong with being too 'logical', 'serious' or unemotional; if anything, it's virtuous along the same lines as Socrates. Or, if you prefer same-gendered historical figures, Hypatia.

Quote:
Quote:
And, no, I don't consider the term 'NT' derogatory anymore than I do 'aspie'. I've recently learned that I'm probably NT myself, though ADHD, so I hope it's not a bad thing.

ADHD isn't neurotypical. It's yet another version of a differently functioning brain.

It's a difference that's still within "normal variation", as far as the emotional and TOM side of life goes, so I would personally consider it neurotypical.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 12:20 am

Because of accusations that I was trying hard to intonate which is something many aspies can purportedly do, I decided to create a video of my natural voice. Does it sound aspie?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlaDV9bbLks[/youtube]

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 12:26 am

That does sound like a computer. :lol:

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 12:28 am

Some random thoughts: If I'm asked to read something out loud, I put on a "reading voice," and I think most people do this. But I also feel like I put on a "conversation voice" as well when I'm talking to people, which is similar. I don't meant they sound anything alike, but they're similar in the sense that neither is my "real" voice. It's not uncommon for me to end a conversation and think "wow, that wasn't me at all" or "wow, everything I said felt like an act." I'm not sure how well I'm explaining myself (probably horribly as usual), but I'm wondering if anyone can relate.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2011, 12:39 am

Jory wrote:
Some random thoughts: If I'm asked to read something out loud, I put on a "reading voice," and I think most people do this. But I also feel like I put on a "conversation voice" as well when I'm talking to people, which is similar. I don't meant they sound anything alike, but they're similar in the sense that neither is my "real" voice. It's not uncommon for me to end a conversation and think "wow, that wasn't me at all" or "wow, everything I said felt like an act." I'm not sure how well I'm explaining myself (probably horribly as usual), but I'm wondering if anyone can relate.

More like "I wish I had done a better job acting."

Christopherwillson
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 10:05 am

If i don't pay attention i really have a bad monotonous voice.. but i can change it if i really want to :P

Aspie score: 182-200

Don't know what to say.

1000Knives
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 10:14 am

I get told probably twice a month by people that my voice is too monotone. Also, as a kid, I had a really like, high pitched voice, then when I got older, someone told me "dude you sound like you're Arnold Schwarzenegger or something." Oddly too, even though I'm not British and don't even watch much British media, I've been told I have a slightly British accent.

And I use big words and stuff insted of talkin liek dis yo.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 2:12 pm

1000Knives wrote:
I get told probably twice a month by people that my voice is too monotone. Also, as a kid, I had a really like, high pitched voice, then when I got older, someone told me "dude you sound like you're Arnold Schwarzenegger or something." Oddly too, even though I'm not British and don't even watch much British media, I've been told I have a slightly British accent.

And I use big words and stuff insted of talkin liek dis yo.

Yo, I use dah leviathan semantemes with my sesquipedalian kin and talk like a real gang banga fo sho at the same time, ya hear.

Dis is sum mad skillz.

Mayel
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2011, 3:13 pm

anneurysm wrote:
The other girl I mentor speaks with a hint of an accent that none of her family members share.

That's what I do but I don't know why or how this came about at all.

An accent isn't the tone of your voice though. So I'd say that I mostly lack expression in my voice but if I try to sound happy or if I'm angry it will turn into something high-pitched, loud and unpleasant.
A speech therapist told me I've got a lot of air in my voice which is very noticeable when I'm trying to sing, I'll have a very whispery and soft singing voice and it costs me a lot of effort to strenghthen it and hold it like that. I don't know if this affects my voice in tone or expression but I guess it does.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

17 Sep 2011, 4:11 pm

swbluto wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
swbluto wrote:

That's good, but from your posts, you're a bit too consistently logical, serious and unemotional for your "whole package" to be considered NT-like, so I wouldn't guess you display a large amount of NT characteristics on the basis of that alone. Btw, I don't think there's anything wrong with being too 'logical', 'serious' or unemotional; if anything, it's virtuous along the same lines as Socrates. Or, if you prefer same-gendered historical figures, Hypatia.

I missed this reply - I agree with you about all three of those.

I meant the sense of intuition about inferring others' intentions. However, since it only works with some people or with the way people tend to say certain specific things and mean certain other specific things, it's probably not intuition.

Quote:
It's a difference that's still within "normal variation", as far as the emotional and TOM side of life goes, so I would personally consider it neurotypical.

So "neurodiversity" is strictly autistic and not autistic? That's not very diverse.

Anyway, ADHD is not within "normal variation" as far as emotional goes - Barkley wants to get emotional dysregulation into the DSM-V definition of ADHD because of impulsiveness and a lack of neurological function in many people with ADHD that relates to controlling your social behavior on the basis of consequences. Or how NTs use particular parts of the brain to self-regulate their behavior whereas these areas are typically inactive in people with ADHD, forcing them to adapt by working through part of their brain that involves emotion, meaning that emotions are typically raw in comparison to NTs, closer to the surface, and much less likely to be inhibited before causing problems. NTs are typically unsympathetic toward ADHD difficulties because "everyone deals with that" and they don't get that it is a difference of magnitude.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 4:38 pm

Verdandi wrote:
swbluto wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
swbluto wrote:

I meant the sense of intuition about inferring others' intentions. However, since it only works with some people or with the way people tend to say certain specific things and mean certain other specific things, it's probably not intuition.

I know you meant the sense of intuition about inferring others' intentions. My reply was suggesting that I wouldn't infer that you were NT based on that characteristic alone (Like it seemed like you suggested that I was thinking, i.e., that I was thinking if people can do that, they're NT), whereas I would infer silvershoelaces(? I'm working from memory) is probably more NT than average based on the "total package", including her sensing of intention on the basis of ones tonality and other characteristics of hers, like her sensitivity, gentleness, emotionality and .... NTness.

Quote:
Quote:

So "neurodiversity" is strictly autistic and not autistic? That's not very diverse.

The state of being neurotypical is about what's typical, and neurotypical thinking doesn't allow for much diversity. ;) According to most NTs, you're either autistic or not autistic, and not being autistic allows one to fit in *somewhere* among NT society as opposed to pretty much nowhere. (Obviously, I'm not considering psychiatric disorders like schizophrenia)

Quote:
Anyway, ADHD is not within "normal variation" as far as emotional goes - Barkley wants to get emotional dysregulation into the DSM-V definition of ADHD because of impulsiveness and a lack of neurological function in many people with ADHD that relates to controlling your social behavior on the basis of consequences. Or how NTs use particular parts of the brain to self-regulate their behavior whereas these areas are typically inactive in people with ADHD, forcing them to adapt by working through part of their brain that involves emotion, meaning that emotions are typically raw in comparison to NTs, closer to the surface, and much less likely to be inhibited before causing problems. NTs are typically unsympathetic toward ADHD difficulties because "everyone deals with that" and they don't get that it is a difference of magnitude.

Oh, poppycock. ADHD people can accurately express and interpret happiness and other emotional states just as well as the average person. Sure, I guess there might be differences in the ability to inhibit ones behavior, but wearing your heart on your sleeves hardly makes ones outside of "normal variation" in nearly the same way as autistics are.

Neotokyomushroom
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Sep 2011, 4:45 pm

Listen to any track by Ian Dury and the Blockheads, I sound the same except with a different regional accent. It's one of the traits that is leading to my new possible career in music. :lol: