Page 1 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ezekiel
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Aug 2011, 7:04 pm

A few aspergers people I know speak in a somewhat forceful, loud tone. A little like yelling. Like Will Ferrell's SNL character who couldn't modulate his voice. Sometimes the speaking continues at length and goes in circles.

That perception might be my autism at work, but I rarely do that. I speak quietly and with quite a bit of irregular rhythm--that is, when I do speak. My brain is chugging through all the processing and there isn't time for fancy tones.

The audio clip above does seem more like my reading: I can force that "story" intonation when reading, but I cannot get the smooth flowing tones of a professional story teller (as you hear on audio books). And, in conversation, I only have intonation when I intentionally force it--and that takes a good bit of energy to keep going. Otherwise, my face and voice are flat. I think that is normal for autism.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 7:21 pm

swbluto wrote:
Is this voice either distinctively autistic or neurotypical?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wVGN_CBe1_k[/youtube]

[I have a perfectly intonated, mellifluous female voice in my mind when reading the passage, but I sound nothing like that. :lol: ]

I'd say autistic. It sounds computer generated even though it is not. I can tell by the sound of inhaling after completion of a sentence. If this is the voice of an Aspie, don't feel bad. Speech therapists can spot me a mile away.

SammichEater
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 7:32 pm

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPpzJiRfobI[/youtube]

I talk just like this guy, if I know what I'm going to say ahead of time. If I don't, imagine a long pause after every few words.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

07 Aug 2011, 7:55 pm

Without other voice samples to compare from "real people", I looked on youtube.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jM2Xj10yKAQ[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Pg57VnVq8E&feature=related[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZ2ttSEBU7Y&feature=related[/youtube]

And, my voice sounds nothing like that. I don't mean to sound offensive, but I actually started cracking up from the second video just imagining him in a group setting.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nUcKQVnrpE&feature=related[/youtube]

Hmmmm... I sound more like these people. :/

Jory
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 8:46 pm

I'm probably closest to the guy in the second video in the above post.

SilverShoelaces
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

07 Aug 2011, 8:53 pm

swbluto wrote:

I don't think it is possible to tell just from listening, but I'll note my observations. I wouldn't qualify the voice as autistic or neurotypical so much as deliberate and slightly "unnatural." And what I mean by that is that is sounds like you are working harder than the average person to intonate and inflect.

I'll see if I can get Audacity to work and I'll make my own recording. ^_^

anneurysm
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

It's very different depending on who you're dealing with. One girl I currently mentor has a mild speech impediment that affects her tone of voice...it causes her to periodically slow down her speech at times, like you're slowing down a tape, then starting it up again. When she slows down, her voice becomes more formal and stiff, and when it speeds back up she regains normal tone. The other girl I menor speaks with a hint of an accent that none of her family members share.

Some people on the spectrum I know have very little or no tone or expression in their voice. One guy will sound really serious even when he's having a lot of fun, and he seems to present as really 'stiff' and serious.

This misdiagnosis caused me significant stress, which lessened upon finding out the truth about myself from my current and past long-term psychiatrists - that I am a highly sensitive person but do not have an autism spectrum disorder

My diagnoses - anxiety disorder, depression and traits of obsessive-compulsive disorder (all in remission).

I’m no longer involved with the ASD world.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

07 Aug 2011, 9:06 pm

I didn't think your voice sounded one way or the other. On those Youtube examples you provided though, you could definitely tell.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In the Andes, counting the stars and wondering if one of them is home to another civilization

08 Aug 2011, 12:47 am

SilverShoelaces wrote:
swbluto wrote:

I don't think it is possible to tell just from listening, but I'll note my observations. I wouldn't qualify the voice as autistic or neurotypical so much as deliberate and slightly "unnatural." And what I mean by that is that is sounds like you are working harder than the average person to intonate and inflect.

So I take it you're neurotypical because you accurately recognized my intention (Trying hard to intonate)? That's cool, because NTs would probably be better at assessing these kinds of things. I've heard rumors of a few male aspies that are "tone deaf" which would make judging the differences a bit harder.

Quote:
I'll see if I can get Audacity to work and I'll make my own recording. ^_^

Can't wait! ^_^

I'm guessing since you're female, yours would probably pwn mine, haha.

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

08 Aug 2011, 1:31 am

swbluto wrote:
So I take it you're neurotypical because you accurately recognized my intention (Trying hard to intonate)? That's cool, because NTs would probably be better at assessing these kinds of things.

Or Silver could have studied intonation to improve her own tone. You really need to tone it down a bit with trying to label yourself and everyone you converse with.

As for the original topic, I tend to have a very natural-sounding tone of voice. My problem comes more from facial expressions (or lack thereof). When stressed out, however, I do get very monotonous.

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

08 Aug 2011, 1:37 am

This is a recording of me reading the first passage of Poe's Ligeia:

http://soundcloud.com/nathankearns/ligeia-2/s-j03fB

Interestingly enough, I was brought up in an Australian household, yet I speak with a voice that has distinctive British (RP) overtones, at least from what I can tell. My voice seems quite monotonous and stilted at times. I gasp for air frequently, from what I can hear in the recording.

Last edited by sfreyj on 08 Aug 2011, 2:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

swbluto
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 1:50 am

Conspicuous wrote:
swbluto wrote:
So I take it you're neurotypical because you accurately recognized my intention (Trying hard to intonate)? That's cool, because NTs would probably be better at assessing these kinds of things.

Or Silver could have studied intonation to improve her own tone. You really need to tone it down a bit with trying to label yourself and everyone you converse with.

There's a sense of intuition about inferring others' intentions that goes beyond studying. And, the "whole package" suggests a noticeably higher level of NT-ness than average around these parts.

And, no, I don't consider the term 'NT' derogatory anymore than I do 'aspie'. I've recently learned that I'm probably NT myself, though ADHD, so I hope it's not a bad thing.

Artros
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 3:42 am

Your voice sounds pretty normal. I'm sure I could add the same inflections, though. Different from the videos you showed, which seemed far more clear-cut. The first one was especially bad.

SQ: 72/80 (Extreme Synthesiser)
Aspie test: about 150/200 Aspie, about 40/200 NT

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 12:12 pm

I have different voices for different types of people. If I'm nervous of a person, or don't really like the person, my voice goes into a low monotone. If I feel that the other person is more vulnerable than I am and that I know I can be more dominent with the person (for example, another person with learning difficulties or someone foreign), I use a more bossy, confident tone. If I'm comfortable with the person, my voice goes into a happy, chatty tone (which is my favourite!) And when I was at school and college, I used to speak to teacher in a sort of show-off voice when there are other people of my age around. I don't think you can picture this type of voice until you have heard me actually speaking this way.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

08 Aug 2011, 6:46 pm

swbluto wrote:
I actually started cracking up from the second video just imagining him in a group setting.

Why is his voice funny?

That is probably similar to my tone of voice (I am female though, if you haven't guessed by my really girly name).

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

RarePegs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Aug 2011, 6:58 pm