Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 8:48 pm

I always wondered how a kid with AS would cope with having to wear braces or head gear. Me, personaly, I think I would have had be have been put under to have them put on and I would just end up ripping them off. My parents would probably figured it would be better to have bucked teeth were better than mental scars. I know I could never cope with
orthodontic headgear. I think they would have to correct my overbite surgicaly. No amount of lecturing on the evils of bucked teeth would have worked with me. The treatment seems like 100 times worse than an overbite or bucked teeth.

I broke my arm at 3 or 4 falling off of a swing or falling out of the car and was always pulling my cast off becuase I didn't like the way it felt and the itching really bothered me. The one sensation I can't handle is itching. I would even stick coat hangers down in there to try and stratch the itch. If hope I never end up breaking a bone today because I have and know how to use a dremel. I think my personality would split from not being able to stratch the itch. But anway, they had to keep making my cast tighter and tighter unil it was practically cutting off circulation so I couldn't pull it off.

Anyway, I always wonder how people with severe touch sensetivity like I have deal with stuff like this.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

16 Sep 2011, 9:23 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
I always wondered how a kid with AS would cope with having to wear braces or head gear.

I have braces right now. Because my teeth are moving around, my jaw locks whenever I close it all the way. Opening my mouth and jaw would result in my jaw popping, which is very painful. Tightening them is horrible, but not as bad as getting them on. They put a lot of pressure on my teeth when they remove my old wires. The brackets like to cling to my lips and cheeks. They are tedious to clean, because flossing is hard and time consuming.

You made a good choice in not getting them. ;)

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2011, 9:51 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
I always wondered how a kid with AS would cope with having to wear braces or head gear.

I have braces right now. Because my teeth are moving around, my jaw locks whenever I close it all the way. Opening my mouth and jaw would result in my jaw popping, which is very painful. Tightening them is horrible, but not as bad as getting them on. They put a lot of pressure on my teeth when they remove my old wires. The brackets like to cling to my lips and cheeks. They are tedious to clean, because flossing is hard and time consuming.

Couldn't you have them removed if they are bothering you so much? I'd probably just remove them myself. I never needed braces myself. I just wonder how people with so many tactile sensetivites cope with them.

MakaylaTheAspie
Veteran
Veteran

Location: O'er the land of the so-called free and the home of the self-proclaimed brave. (Oregon)

16 Sep 2011, 10:16 pm

MagicMeerkat wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

Couldn't you have them removed if they are bothering you so much? I'd probably just remove them myself. I never needed braces myself. I just wonder how people with so many tactile sensetivites cope with them.

My mom made them use really strong glue. I can chew on ice and not even put a dent in them. :shrug:

MagicMeerkat
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2011, 4:33 pm

MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:
MakaylaTheAspie wrote:
MagicMeerkat wrote:

My mom made them use really strong glue. I can chew on ice and not even put a dent in them. :shrug:

I'd pull them off somehow anyway or seriously injure myself trying to get them off. I would somehow find a way to get them off and if I couldn't, I would probably try to kill myself and my parents would have to have them removed.

Ellytoad
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Sep 2011, 4:40 pm

I had braces when I was a kid. Eventually I got so used to them that it felt weird to have them off again. At first, however, I was a frantic wreck. When I had the rubber separators put between my back teeth, I cried right there on the chair.