Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

Whosinabunker
Toucan
Toucan

28 Aug 2011, 10:31 pm

(Tried to think of a more creative title, sorry!) I know one of my biggest problems in my life is severe social anxiety, I am incredibly sensitive to others thoughts of me and I always think they are bad thoughts. I do the typical "oh she thinks I'm a loser/Oh I'm sweating, well I'm screwed/I screwed up in that conversation" and it's preventing me from acquiring new friends. Also, my standards for acquiring new friends are relatively high, so high that few people can reach them (working on that) but the anxiety is killing me. How does one stop caring about this crap? When I do talk to people they say they like me and they think I'm cool, but I have to start talking first =P. I'm not so great at starting a conversation, nor am I good at keeping one going. I also get really anxious when people are watching me. I will start walking across my university's campus when nobody is around and I'll be fine, I see people start coming, I start fidgeting (picking at itches that don't exist, adjusting my glasses, popping my knuckles, and my normal walking pattern turns into a spaghetti legs festival). Have any of you overcome these things? If so, how did you start? Or any advice would be nice.