Never lazy at work, but always lazy at home.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 10:59 am

Seriously I can't understand this. I have no ability to get things done at home, yet if I'm at work I never stop.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 11:04 am

Me too. I don't know why. Then again, I can be a bit lazy at work, mainly because we get a lot of downtime. In fact, I don't know what I'd do without that downtime.

AgentPalpatine
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 11:04 am

Stoek wrote:
Seriously I can't understand this. I have no ability to get things done at home, yet if I'm at work I never stop.

At work, I would presume you have supervisors who are paid to make sure you're working, and you work for a paycheck. At home, there is (usually) not an immediate penalty for not working.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 11:09 am

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Stoek wrote:

At work, I would presume you have supervisors who are paid to make sure you're working, and you work for a paycheck. At home, there is (usually) not an immediate penalty for not working.

^ Prolly this.

Stoek
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 11:12 am

AgentPalpatine wrote:
Stoek wrote:

Yeah but I have a work ethic, that usually makes my supervisors afraid to even mention something like that. In fact ,most supervisors depending on the job, are more afraid of not getting anything done when I'm around.

I don't stop at work even when my boss tells me to slow down. I just get in a zone.

beneficii
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 11:35 am

Stoek wrote:
AgentPalpatine wrote:
Stoek wrote:

Yeah but I have a work ethic, that usually makes my supervisors afraid to even mention something like that. In fact ,most supervisors depending on the job, are more afraid of not getting anything done when I'm around.

I don't stop at work even when my boss tells me to slow down. I just get in a zone.

This too.

SteelBlu
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jul 2013, 11:40 am

I have this problem, as well. I've always assumed it was because I'm naturally a hard-working person, but am also generally very overwhelmed. I try my hardest when in public to live up to what I am supposed to do the very best that I can. (So, I work hard at work.) I would LIKE to do this at home, too, but, my home is also my "safe place," where I don't feel obligated to live up to expectations of what I should be doing. When I walk in the door of my home, I kind of go into "safe place" mentality, and allow myself to let down walls and experience emotions/how overwhelmed I am, very suddenly. Obviously, this isn't very conductive to getting things done. So I wind up spending all of the time that I'm home recuperating and recharging. But, on the rare occasions that I don't feel like I have to spend being home to do this (or when I discover that the state of my home is more overwhelming to me than whatever it is I'm trying to recover from) I automatically go into "non-lazy" mode, taking care of everything and working very hard on my home.

TL;DR? Home is safe place. At work, first priority is work, second priority is stealing a moment here and there for rest. At home, safe place, first priority is rest, second priority is work on home.

chlov
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 11:50 am

Reminds me of something a friend of mine said:
"I work a lot at school but at home I'm lazy and I do nothing".

Caz72
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 12:45 pm

i think a lot of people are.

neilson_wheels
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 12:54 pm

You expend all your energy at work, when you get home, to your safe haven, you are tired and need to relax.

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 1:31 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:
You expend all your energy at work, when you get home, to your safe haven, you are tired and need to relax.
This.

Say you start out with 100 energy units.

Your co-worker uses 60 energy units on work, 5 on the trip there and back, 5 on socializing, and has 30 left for chores when she gets home.

You use 60 energy units for work, 20 on travel, and 20 on socializing, because those things are harder for you. When you get home, you're out of energy.

Can you afford a cleaning service? It might take a load off your back and be money well spent.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

rickith
Raven
Raven

05 Jul 2013, 1:33 pm

neilson_wheels wrote:

This. I just don't have any energy to do stuff when I get home.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2013, 2:22 pm

I think it's because I'm paid to do my job at work, otherwise I wouldn't go. If I just went to work to laze about like I do when I'm at home, I'll most likely get the sack sooner or later, and then have no money. But being at home is different, it is home and I can do things when I feel like it more. I suppose it's the same for a lot of people.

Same goes with sensory issues. When I'm at home, I'm very agitated, and even just ordinary household noises unsettle me and I can't focus on anything unless I have earplugs in. But at work there are all kinds of noises and things going on all day, but I can put up with it better at work and can get on with my work very well without no feelings of agitation from noises.

hmfdphil
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Oct 2015, 7:47 pm

Ok all, I so have this problem and I dont know what to do. It is ruining my marriage. I work like a dog at times for my boss but not at home. I don't know why but I need to fix it. I have 2 sons with Aspergers and its very stressful at home. I am beginning to wonder if I am an Aspie myself???? I need help!! !!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 2:49 am

at work, i have people that are waiting for me before they can start/continue their tasks, so i do my job promptly. at home, the only one waiting for me is me...

i figured this out in college; my group work was always done in time and of decent to good quality, since if i failed, the entire group failed. however, similar work that was to be done alone was procastinated as an art form; noone was waiting for it (well, the teacher, but he didn't care that much)

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2015, 4:02 am

I am like that with school. I try to get my homework done there, because when I get home it's hopeless.