my mom is NOT being supportive of me trying to help my son

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Whoever
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Sep 2011, 12:37 am

I met with the special ed people at the school district today. They agreed to do speech/language therapy, and behavioral therapy (anxiety, frustration, anger, meltdowns, and depression issues). I will have to meet with other people to find out how often, but at least it is approved and we can move to the next step. They have also agreed to do more behavioral evaluations to decide exactly what needs to be addressed and will also evaluate for assistive technology possibilities since he does SO much better with typing than writing.

On the down side, I told my mom all about what was going on and how my day went, and how I haven't been sleeping much for the past 2 weeks worrying and trying to figure out how to find the help my son needs and figure out how to fight for it. Her ONLY response to the whole thing was "if you need help with homeschooling, let me know." Gee, Mom, maybe a hug? Or, "you are doing great, and you will figure out what he needs." I have Asperger's myself, but even I understand trying to offer SOME support to someone who is going through a rough time. Some days, the best I can do is to read what some of the other people have posted here and click "hug" or "like". It isn't a lot, but at least someone knows I cared enough to read what they had to say and I tried to respond appropriately.
And, this is not a mom who has little to do with me. We bought a house with a guest house (not that uncommon in the Phoenix area thankfully) when my dad was very sick so that I could help take care of him. Now, my mom lives 20 feet from me, and I help take care of her. I take her grocery shopping, get her medicines, take her to doctors (she doesn't drive), and check in on her often (she has diabetes with blood sugar that gets way low and way high). She didn't even manage to remember that I had told her that I was meeting with the school district today. I am just really hurting and frustrated that here I am trying SO hard to be a good mom and my own mom isn't supporting me. She almost seems jealous that I am spending all my time taking care of my son and not spending as much time with her as I used to do.
My husband isn't a lot of help emotionally. He is AWESOME, don't get me wrong. He does a huge amount to help in so many other ways. He cooks, he tries to help with the kids, he grocery shops, he does dishes. I couldn't do it without him. But, he also has Asperger's. He just can't give me the emotional support that I need. I might not like it, but I do understand, and I knew that about him before we got married. Today, I asked him to work from home and stay with our son, since I am homeschooling for now. He would have been miserable at the meeting, and would not have added anything to it. He would have sat in a corner and played on his iPhone instead of sitting around a table with people he didn't know.

Oh well...at least there was some good today....Tomorrow is another day.

Kiana
Raven
Raven

09 Sep 2011, 3:12 am

Hi Whoever

I'm not sure what to say that will help, but I have read your post and didn't want to just pass by without comment, it sounds like you have a lot of pressure on you just now

I have 2 boys on the spectrum so I know how hard it can be, sometimes you just want to scream and make someone hear how you feel, but if you do everyone just thinks you are crazy

I have no support network apart from my partner, occasionally it helps to me to remember the saying "Just because a person isn't giving you what you want, doesn't mean they are not giving you all that they have"

I hope things improve for you soon

Kiana

Whoever

09 Sep 2011, 10:19 am

Thanks Kiana. Sometimes just feeling that someone listened is enough to help.