Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:03 am

Seems really stupid...but I can't seem to remember months.

I know christmas is in december, my birthday is in june and july comes after that because of 4th of july.

But the rest of them are all a guessing game usually.

Does anyone else not know their months?

I need a picture in order to remember things

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:20 am

My ex had this issue. He knew all his months but didn't know them in order. I had a hard time believing it at first because I didn't think someone like him could have that issue. But yet he wouldn't use the fricken calendar to figure it out to see how long away it is so I figured it was one of his excuses to not use it. He had lot of them so it made it hard to tell what problems were genuine what problems weren't.

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 12:26 am

i got a calendar that is dry erase so I never have to buy another...(least not for quite awhile)

i am not really sure why I don't know my months...i haven't always been a calendar marker but I have always used calendars….At least to check what month it is because I often don't remember.

each year I get slightly better but it's very slight.

also writing dates down we usually use numbers and not the name of the months which I think might be part of the reason I don't remember months....I just remember what number (1-12) of month it is.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 1:30 am

It's good you're doing something about it. Mine wouldn't do s**t about his. So I think he was full of excuses. I think people with genuine problems would try and do something about it to help themselves.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 3:50 am

I experience something similar with the names of the Zodiac constellations, despite one of my interests is astronomy. I know the cardinal ones that mark winter, summer solstice and spring, autumn equinox (the spring equinox is my sign), but have a hard time to fill in the remaining 8 in between.

I have no problem with months though, I know the name and length of all, and know the Gregorian rule for the length of February too.

Mummy_of_Peanut
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 4:06 am

I know all the months and their positions, but I can never remember how many days each has, without the rhyme, '30 days has September...' I don't know if this is unusual. My husband's memory is poorer than mine, but he seems to know instantly whether the last day is going to be the 30th or 31st.

Davuardo
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

13 Sep 2011, 4:19 am

I had problems for many years remembering the orders of the months, only just really started remembering a couple of years ago. I still struggle a bit with the days but I remember numbers really well so I just remember 4,6,9,11 which I then remember by association that means April, June, September and November have 30, because most have 31 because 365/12 is slightly more than 30. And of course February has 28 or 29.

Apparently it's ethically incorrect to possess people...

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 8:37 am

I know all of the months in order and how many days each has. I am actually surprised how many everyday people don't know this. The same cycle happens every year, I don't understand why people would not figure it out at some point, especially when dates are commonly used in society.

jackbus01
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 8:43 am

Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:
I know all the months and their positions, but I can never remember how many days each has, without the rhyme, '30 days has September...' I don't know if this is unusual. My husband's memory is poorer than mine, but he seems to know instantly whether the last day is going to be the 30th or 31st.

There is a rhyme for knowing how many days each month has?! Really! For me figuring out the rhyme would be harder than just knowing. It is the same thing every year.

Jan 31
Feb 28 (29 on leap years, years divisible by 4)
Mar 31
Apr 30
May 31
Jun 30
Jul 31
Aug 30
Sep 31
Oct 31
Nov 30
Dec 31

Ok I just typed that in real quick for those that are still wondering.

What the heck is the rhyme? Anyone?

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 9:32 am

Yes/no.

I know my weekdays, months and the alphabet from start to end.

I frequently run into problems (can't answer spontaneously) to questions such as "the letter before/after P" or "month after July" or even "two months from August is...?".

It helps having several starting points in the alphabet (A - L - O) and associating the name and numerals of months but it doesn't solve whatever underlying difficulty.

Same with reading the clock. I know the system perfectly, but analogue clocks and even the meaning of time on a digital clock doesn't come spontaneous/subconsciously.

jackbus01 wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

There is a rhyme for knowing how many days each month has?! Really! For me figuring out the rhyme would be harder than just knowing. It is the same thing every year.

There's another simple trick for this. Just curl your hands into fists and you got your calender.

Ignore your thumbs, the knuckle of your pinkie (31 days) is January, the space between your knuckles is February, the next knuckle (ring finger) is March (31 days), the space between is April (30 days)...

Starting with your index finger, August is the first knuckle (31 days) on your other hand, September is the space between (30 days)...

Knuckles = 31 days
Spaces between = 30 days, February being an exception

sfreyj
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Sep 2011, 9:41 am

jackbus01 wrote:
Mummy_of_Peanut wrote:

Jan 31
Feb 28 (29 on leap years, years divisible by 4)
Mar 31
Apr 30
May 31
Jun 30
Jul 31
Aug 30
Sep 31
Oct 31
Nov 30
Dec 31

Ok I just typed that in real quick for those that are still wondering.

What the heck is the rhyme? Anyone?

30 days have September, April, June, and November. All the rest have 31 except for February.

There is more about February, but I find it hard to forget the 28/29 day thing.

OJani
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 10:30 am

Months are alternately 30 or 31 days long. The first and the last month is 31. One further exception is July/August, they are both 31. You can count back and forth starting with January or December. February would be 30, instead it's 28 or 29, according to the Gregorian (not Julian) rule, which is:

if the year can be divided by 4 without residual -> 29
if the year can be divided by 100 without residual -> 28
if the year can be divided by 400 without residual -> 29 (hence 2000 was a leap year)
(always apply the last rule that is true)

This gives the year the length of 365.2425 days, while in reality it is close to 365.2422 days.

Listen to Boney M., I liked this song when I was a kid (and this was sung not in my first language):

Boney M. - Calendar Song

(Those fancy clothes... :roll: )

liveandletdie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 10:42 am

OJani wrote:
Months are alternately 30 or 31 days long. The first and the last month is 31. One further exception is July/August, they are both 31. You can count back and forth starting with January or December. February would be 30, instead it's 28 or 29, according to the Gregorian (not Julian) rule, which is:

if the year can be divided by 4 without residual -> 29
if the year can be divided by 100 without residual -> 28
if the year can be divided by 400 without residual -> 29 (hence 2000 was a leap year)
(always apply the last rule that is true)

This gives the year the length of 365.2425 days, while in reality it is close to 365.2422 days.

Listen to Boney M., I liked this song when I was a kid (and this was sung not in my first language):

Boney M. - Calendar Song

(Those fancy clothes... :roll: )

ha ya it's a good song but the clothes are pretty strange....><

Sibyl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 11:19 am

liveandletdie, write down the months in order, copying from a calendar if you need to. Then just read the list, over and over, until you've learned them in order by rote, just like learning the alphabet and counting numbers. For a while you might want to chant the list to yourself, while doing other things like washing dishes or walking or running or pulling weeds, whatever you do that doesn't need much thought of its own. Eventually, you'll have them grooved and not have to keep practicing.

For whoever asked about the rhyme, it's:
"Thirty days hath September
April, June, and November.
All the rest have thirty-one
Except for February alone:
Which has twenty-eight--
But the fourth Leap Year is the time
When poor Feb. has twenty-nine.

Yes, the rhyme breaks down: I've never heard a perfectly scanned version of it, which of course torments my Aspie soul. But at least I can remember the number of days: I don't think I've ever even tried without going through the rhyme.

LostInEmulation
Veteran
Veteran

13 Sep 2011, 11:36 am

When I was a kid, I learned a song about the months, I sometimes repeat that in my head when I am unsure.

Januar, Februar, März, April
die Jahresuhr steht niemals still
Mai, Juni, Juli, August
weckt in uns allen die Lebenslust
September, Oktober, November, Dezember
und dann, und dann fängt es wieder von vorne an.

Translated that'd be:
January, February, March, April
The clock of the year never stands still,
May, June, July, August
awakens in all of us the lust for life.
September, October, November, December,
and then, and then, it begins from start again.

Penguins cannot fly because what cannot fly cannot crash!

qwertywop
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

13 Sep 2011, 6:21 pm

I'm still not completely sure about the spring months. :(