In your perspective do I appear HFA or LFA?

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 4:02 pm

I created this video because I think the message is important. But, in this case, I'm curious about how I appear to people other than my own mind.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zgKjDE7DFFc

Last edited by SuperTrouper on 02 Oct 2011, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanadianRose
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 5:45 pm

I am familiar with the It Gets Better Project. I am a big fan of Dan Savage (sex advice columnist, openly gay man and father) who started this.

I really liked your video. I am a parent of a child on the autism spectrum. I have a few traits myself. This type of sharing reminds me that my son has a wonderful life ahead of him. I will still try to help him learn and relate to others. But I will always respect that he will always be autistic and I want him to be true to himself and happy with himself as an autistic person. Hearing adults who are autistic share their successes is inspiring for both parents and children/youth.

Thank you.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2011, 5:53 pm

If only there were more parents like you! Your attitude is awesome. Thank you.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 7:19 pm

Where on the spectrum do I appear to fall?

I have better days than this and worse... this is more somewhere in the middle of how I appear.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 8:23 pm

Having seen other videos of you, and knowing what limited info I do know about you, I would say you are probably on the severe high-functioning end, with the severe anxiety you've said somewhere else that you have putting you into a MFA category much of the time. Just my opinion.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 8:32 pm

I find it odd that people think I'm less affected when I can speak... even though I actually say a heck of a lot more and make more sense when I use AAC.

Basically, I think I have HFA and LFA traits. I just don't know what to say I have! Both seem misleading. So does MFA. Come to think of it, this is why I generally don't use functioning labels... because I'm a human with wildly varying traits. I just was curious as to what other people saw.

littlelily613
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 8:37 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
I find it odd that people think I'm less affected when I can speak...

Did I say this? This is not what I meant at all.

What I said (and meant) was that I think you have HFA (but severe)--the reason being is not only that you can talk sometimes (and I never said I thought you were more severe when you are non-verbal, btw), but also the fact that you have a degree and can drive, etc. You are not mild, but HFA does not mean mild. There are HFA people who are severe. I think autism-wise, you are probably at a very similar "level" as myself. With the anxiety that you've mentioned previously that you had, I would say that puts you at a MF level.

EQ=8 SQ=93 (Extreme Systemizer)
Alexithymia Quiz=164/185 (high)

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2011, 8:41 pm

Sorry- no, you didn't say that at all. I was just thinking out loud. Commenting. That's me and my brain, jumping around... I do it a lot. Didn't mean to confuse you.

I actually don't drive anymore due to regressions. I don't work or use my degree in any way, and there's no WAY I could even take college classes now. I've lost a lot of skills recently. In fact, I don't even cross the street or enter a store or get the mail without someone with me. Too great a chance of wandering, getting hit by a car, or being taken advantage of.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 Oct 2011, 9:44 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
I find it odd that people think I'm less affected when I can speak... even though I actually say a heck of a lot more and make more sense when I use AAC.

Basically, I think I have HFA and LFA traits. I just don't know what to say I have! Both seem misleading. So does MFA. Come to think of it, this is why I generally don't use functioning labels... because I'm a human with wildly varying traits. I just was curious as to what other people saw.

That second paragraph is close to what I was going to say - you are definitely severe and not mild by any means.

I find that the only thing that is usually impacted when I can't speak is that I can't speak. And when I can speak, like you said, sometimes it's hard to make a lot of sense. Sometimes it's part of a larger issue and a lot of things are affected at once, but that happens both with and without losing speech along with it.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 8:29 am

So when ask, "How affected are you?" or "What kind of autism do you have?" do I say... ugh. What do I say?! "It totally depends on the day." ???

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 3:30 pm

That sounds like a good response to me. The reality is that autism affects most autistics more or less "depending on the day", and if yours varies, then why not say that?

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

glider18
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

03 Oct 2011, 6:31 pm

SuperTrouper wrote:
So when ask, "How affected are you?" or "What kind of autism do you have?" do I say... ugh. What do I say?! "It totally depends on the day." ???

I understand where you are coming from---especially with it depending on the day. Some days things seem to flow easily, and others seem like trying to walk through brick walls. I started a dulcimer music ministry in 2008. I play various folk instruments and speak some on my autism (I have Asperger's) so as to let people understand a bit more about me and the autism spectrum. I enjoy this music ministry. But sometimes that can be challenging when the mood isn't right for me. I just have to take a deep breath and jump into it. My therapist helped me with this by having me script out things ahead of time. Before saying something, I often script it in my head first, and then I say it. I also use notes when I speak.

The autism support group I am involved in (a group for children with autism---my youngest son has autism) sometimes has speakers in. I enjoy listening to them and seeing how they communicate to audiences. We have also had an autistic marimba player give us a concert. I feel fortunate where I live because we have such a great autism support group here in southern Ohio---and they try to stay active.

SuperTrouper
Veteran
Veteran

03 Oct 2011, 8:20 pm

If you can get to south, central OH, I'm speaking for the Autism Project of Souther Ohio on Nov 5th in Portsmouth :)