Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

ooOoOoOAnaOoOoOoo
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 7:40 pm

cubedemon6073 wrote:
Do a good chunk of us aspies have a huge sense of entitlement? Is this really true about a good chunk of us? If it really is and a lot of us have a huge sense of entitlement could this be a cause for a lot of our problems? Is this sense of entitlement really affecting the autism community in a very profound and negative way? If we do have a sense of entitlement my question is this. Is it possible to lose it? Has any person whether ASD or not ever had a sense of entitlement that they were able to get rid of? How did they do it and how did they make themselves better? Personally, I believe if aspies in general are to better their one of the first steps is to lose their sense of entitlement if they truly have it. Kfisherx, I invite would love for you to especially join this discussion.

It is true for a good chunk of western civilization and it has been demonized in the press. It is not a bad thing. Having a sense of entitlement is like having a sense of self esteem and it should be encouraged. People should not be hesitant to demand the best for themselves. Don't be cowed into thinking you do not deserve nothing but the best and as much as you can get. If you let yourself be brainwashed into thinking poverty is noble that is what you will be stuck in for the rest of your life.

Ask and ye shall receive as the saying goes.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

25 Oct 2011, 7:49 pm

mori_pastel wrote:
Verdandi wrote:
The tone argument is not strictly "Stop being so angry." It's more, everything you say is made out to be angry. You can be more polite than Miss Manners and people will still twist your words and accuse you of excessive anger - and this has happened to me.

Oh, huh. Haven't heard that. I've been relying mostly on other people's definition of the tone argument. Maybe I was looking in the wrong places, but when I first came across the term and started googling, there didn't seem to be a concise definition. Or even a functional definition. 0-0 Just lots of people arguing.

Truer words are rarely said. I think a lot of people have taken the tone argument from "everything I say when I object to being treated like crap is treated as if I am too angry" to "I can be as rude as I want to anyone I want because I am oppressed, and therefore I can trample other people as much as I want."

mori_pastel wrote:
Oh, yeah, I know. But that was just kind of my point. I'm not saying that the idea of privilege is incorrect. In fact, when I first came across the concept I really liked the perspective it takes. I get that the idea is sound, I've just never seen it used well in practice. Of course, I've only seen it in practice online.

It's almost become a warning sign. I'll be reading some social justice argument and then BAM! "The such-and-such privilege..." It's like the hourglass on a black widow. "Here there be dragons!" "This person is going to make a ridiculous argument."

Oh, yes, I totally agree with this. Although I've used it a lot online...I think poorly and well.

mori_pastel wrote:
How does that make the concept of "privilege" any different the concept of "discrimination"? I thought that the whole idea of privilege was that it took a different perspective than the "disabled" or "discrimination" perspective. Sort of instead of saying "we have less than you," saying "you have more than us." So it changed the perspective of "no discrimination" as normal and "discrimination" as an atypical detriment to "no discrimination" as a special benefit and "discrimination" as normal. I thought the whole point was to change the way people looked at those in minority groups.

It is. Institutionalized discrimination, prejudice, etc. is a big part of privilege. That is, the people who can get away with it by saying "That's just how things are" and how they don't catch the same garbage other people do. Privilege and discrimination are both a detriment, but both are also typical. True egalitarianism is the atypical thing.

Quote:
And I kind of like that idea. Getting people to think "it's not that you're unnaturally cursed, it's me who is unnaturally blessed" would, at least in my opinion, make people a lot more grateful for what they do have and a lot more willing to help those who don't have. Because from that perspective, having a "normal" life isn't something you deserve. I guess what I'm saying is it seems like it'd make "normal" people feel less entitled to a normal life.

I agree, although a lot of people take "You have this privilege" as a combative and incendiary accusation, even when it is factual and neutral statement. It may be that pointing out to people that they're better off for reasons that have nothing to do with how hard they've worked or how talented/smart they are is rarely taken well.

I've tried for years to find new ways to describe this that communicates it rather than prompting defensiveness. I think that ultimately, the defensiveness is going to happen no matter what, and separates out the people I want to know from the people I don't want to know, I guess.

zen_mistress
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 9:12 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
zen_mistress wrote:
I love your cute new avatar, Marshall....

Anyway about people who are disabled being entitled, well I think a lot of us have missed out on so much in life already, I think we do deserve a bit of a break, and I think that it would be helpful if there were agencies which could help us into work which would be sustainable and not result in an eventual burnout.

Yeah I agree with this...sadly though it is more likely people expect you to just push even harder then the average person and not utter a single complaint about it.

Yes this is exactly what I have noticed too. And I reject this idea. I am just trying to figure out what to do about it now...

Taking a break.

XFilesGeek
Veteran
Veteran

25 Oct 2011, 10:46 pm

I think everyone has a "sense of entitlement."

Most people just like to accuse OTHERS of having a "sense of entitlement" while ignoring their own "sense of entitlement." People are quick to criticize everyone else for being "uppity," but they will steadfastly proclaim that it's okay to demand things for themselves because they "earned it" while the other people are just being "greedy."

Me: :roll:

As for having a "sense of entitlement," I don't think it's "good" or "bad," but it IS necessary if you don't want to always be pushed around by bullies and petty tyrants.

"If we fail to anticipate the unforeseen or expect the unexpected in a universe of infinite possibilities, we may find ourselves at the mercy of anyone or anything that cannot be programmed, categorized or easily referenced."

-XFG (no longer a moderator)

Mindslave
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2011, 6:23 pm

People often mistake my unwillingness to say the politically correct thing as arrogance. It's only arrogance if I throw it in other people's faces. Entitled people are always asking for favors. I rarely do.

AdamDZ
Toucan
Toucan

21 Nov 2011, 6:29 pm

Entitlement? No. I don't want much, I don't ask for anything, I move aside, and I just want every to leave me alone.