Page 2 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Lawamei
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

27 Oct 2011, 7:02 pm

For me, it can range from several times to hundreds. However, if it is repeated several hundred times, it is not necessarily constant- it wouldn't usually be 'phrasephrasephrasephrasephrasex100,' rather, multiple sets of repetitions that come and go.

rastiazul
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Oct 2011, 7:08 pm

sex :lol:

Pinnygig
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Oct 2011, 7:23 pm

I've just added a bit to my sig, what do you think? :D

Your Aspie score: 148 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 55 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

If I'm not Aspie then who the hell is??? :lol:

btbnnyr
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 7:26 pm

I often express my liking of things when I repeat phrases. I like to repeat, "I love cats" or "I love bunnies" or "Cake is delicious" over and over again. People think that I am talking to them.

wigglyspider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Oct 2011, 9:41 pm

The words that most often get stuck in my head are ones that I don't know the meaning of, or don't know how to pronounce. They won't repeat constantly, they'll just pop into my head at different times throughout the day, and they'll get more annoying each time, because since I don't know the meaning, I'll start to form an impression of what I think it means, and usually my meaning is something stupid, so it starts to become a stupid, stupid word. And I start to really hate it. lol.

Sath96347
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

27 Oct 2011, 10:41 pm

I do it a lot if it's a word or phrase that either has a pattern I like or just feels safe to me. Especially with palindromes. I've never known how to stop it, at all. Sometimes I can distract myself, but usually when I try, I just keep the word going while I do whatever else.

Edit: Now it's everationpers. I like that. A lot.

nikaTheJellyfish
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Oct 2011, 11:04 pm

I do this too!! !! I repeat phrases usually from movies but sometimes from conversations for hours, weeks, or months,. Sometimes it is a movie i saw just once but years later I go through the phrasing again. I seem to get lost in my own world when I do this too. I have to find something real to get out of it. Wind, water, something natural... rubbing my hands on tree bark. Literally I have to use the natural world to come out of my own. It's really weird. And if I catch myself doing it in public I am always really paranoid about who saw or heard what. Glad I am not alone here.

Conspicuous
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

27 Oct 2011, 11:13 pm

I've always gotten words or names stuck in my head like most people get songs stuck in theirs (though I get those too, sometimes). Sometimes I say the words aloud, though usually quietly enough no one else can hear. The words usually stay in my mind if I am thinking about it, but when my mind wanders, I will start saying them aloud. I find I prefer words with the letter S in them; I like the hissing sound they make when said quietly.

I've come to view this as a form of stimming. I don't do any of the big, obvious stims, so maybe it's as someone earlier suggested: I learned early on that the obvious stims are unacceptable and internalized my stimming behaviors. Either way, repeating words or phrases seems to feel the same as any other stimming behaviors.

On a side note, I'm annoyed someone mentioned the word "palilalia." The last time I read this word, it got stuck in my head for days. Go figure.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 2:14 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palilalia

Palilalia is the repetition or echoing of one's own spoken words.

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 2:14 am

Palilalia

shrox
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2011, 2:15 am

Palilalia

schumey
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2011, 7:51 pm

If repetitions are accompanied by anxiety - especiially mounting anxiety, and if failure to continue repetitions result in a sense of foreboding - that something bad is going to happen as aresult of the uncompleted series of repetitions, it may be related to OCD which often can be helped by medication and/or behavioral therapy. By the way I'm neither a doctor or an expert but have suffered from this painful condition forever. This one of those few things they can help somewhat so I'd look for a doctor who has some experience with anxiety disorders. Good luck.

franknfurter
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 10:54 am

Lawamei wrote:
Oh yes, I have wondered about this; never met somebody else who experienced this issue. This problem also plagues me fairly often, and the phrases are usually utterly irrelevant, idiotic, or somewhat nonsensical. It can be a phrase I heard somewhere, or seem to be randomly strung together with no particular inspiration (especially the nonsensical ones.)

I have not found how to solve it yet, unfortunately. All I know at the moment is that it seems to occur more frequently when I have just woken up, am half asleep, or otherwise not intensely focused. Perhaps immerse yourself in an interesting activity, movie, book, etc.? I believe it only goes until you are so distracted that you did not realize that it had stopped right away.

yeah i find that happens to me when i wake up in the night and the word or sentance keeps going around in my mind and i cant get back to sleep.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

20 Feb 2013, 11:04 am

I think I get this. A certain word or phrase gets stuck in my head, a bit like when a song does.

lilredcat
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Feb 2013, 4:19 pm

I get this too. Often when doing something mundane like the dishes - I suddenly start repeating words and phrases from a movie. Other times a word or phrase just runs through my head. And I get the songs too.

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

21 Feb 2013, 12:12 am

I get words and phrases in loops in my head or mumble words, I move my mouth but hardly any sound comes out. I don't want to count them, thinking about it breaks the chain, but just a few, or maybe more. It depends. When I am out I have music in my head or humming and at the same time I have movements with my fingers and hands and nodding my head and sometimes I mumble in a whisper to myself. I have a lot of rhythm. It's not annoying, I like it. If I stop it, I can't think. I feel like I loose myself and I may stop breathing.