'Simlish', subtitles, and struggling to get words out

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 8:13 am

Do you guys here on the Autism spectrum (Aspergers, Autism etc.) have any of the following problems -

Radio, TV, music lyrics, voice acting, people speaking etc. does it often sound like 'Simlish' to you, and you have no idea what they're saying? If you don't know what Simlish is, it's just a language in The Sims. It's not a real language, it just sounds like gibberish. http://youtu.be/sxyW6AJ-yIk here's an example of what voices sound like to me a lot.

Do you often use subtitles where you can in video games, TV, video streaming, etc.?

Do you have trouble sometimes getting your words out, getting them mixed out, not quite stuttering? For example I was in a video game shop, my friend saw a wired controller for Xbox 360 which are hard to find, and it was a cheap price. I wanted to ask if they happened to have another one, and my words were coming out like "do you hav ha ha happennn hav... -pauses- do you have happ -pauses again- -takes it slowly- do you...happen...to have...another...one...of these?" I have also accidentally called people the wrong gender, and I feel worse when the person is trans, because I meant to say the gender they identify with, but the word that came out my mouth is completely different.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 9:21 am

I thought it was merely my hearing, I can't function without sub-titles

main reason I refuse to watch anything on a computer, people keep telling me to get rid of my TV and use a computer, I get get CC on shows on it, so I keep the TV

Wind
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 9:28 am

I have subtitles when watching TV, and my dad hates subtitles, so we always get into arguments about it. Even if he's not watching the show, he'll turn them off. I need subtitles :(

I had a hearing test when I was younger. Beep test thing. I could hear all the beeps perfectly well, but still struggle to hear words.

Marky9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 9:55 am

I like subtitles on video games it is hard for me to focus on the game and also process language.

I also like subtitles in movies, unless they are in some reasonably standard form of American English. For example: I would love to be able to watch the Harry Potter movies, but the scripts include so many made-up words that by the time I figure what was just said the story has moved on.

bumble
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 10:04 am

I hate subtitles as I can't read them fast enough to keep up with my convergence insufficiency (makes my reading speed slower than it used to be even in glasses with a prism).

I don't really pay attention to what is on the telly most of the time unless it's a favourite movie. It is just background noise I keep on whilst I do other things.

LostInSpace
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 12:33 pm

GivePeaceAChance wrote:

main reason I refuse to watch anything on a computer, people keep telling me to get rid of my TV and use a computer, I get get CC on shows on it, so I keep the TV

Netflix generally has subtitles. Not sure about other services like Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime. I also only watch with subtitles. My hearing is actually really acute, but I have watched TV with subtitles ever since I figured out how to turn them on as a child. Probably have some degree of auditory processing difficulties, but I think I have enough diagnoses- don't need another one!- so I've never gone for diagnosis.

To the OP, yes I stutter, and have since I was a child. It has gotten better as I have gotten older, and is generally mild, but sometimes gets bad to the point where I give up on speech.

Last edited by LostInSpace on 26 Jan 2014, 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GivePeaceAChance
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 12:38 pm

LostInSpace wrote:
GivePeaceAChance wrote:

Netflix generally has subtitles. Not sure about other services like Hulu Plus or Amazon Prime. I also only watch with subtitles. My hearing is actually really acute, but I have watched TV with subtitles ever since I figured out how to turn them on as a child. Probably have some degree of auditory processing difficulties, but I think I have enough diagnoses- don't need another one!- so I've never gone for diagnosis.

To the OP, yes I stutter, and have since I was a child. It has gotten better as I have gotten older, and is generally mild, but sometimes gets bad to the point where I give up on speech. I get not only syllable/word repetitions, which can be considered non-stuttering disfluencies, but also the true stuttering disfluencies which are prolongations and blocks, and which are much more frustrating than the repetitions.

I have netflix & use it a LOT, refuse to use HULU - no way I am paying to watch commercials , and amazon is far too expensive, you pay for every item.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 12:42 pm

yes, i have trouble understanding other people sometimes, ecspecially if they have a different accent or rhythm of speech, monotoned people are extremely hard to understand to me.

i also have trouble talking, using the correct words and getting words out.

not only do i have trouble listening to people talk and talking, i have a lot of trouble reading and reading aloud.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

Halfmadgenius
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jan 2014, 1:02 pm

YES! I do that all the time, I know the word and I just can't get it. It's like I forget how to say it. Even if someone guesses the word I can't quite pronounce it when they ask is X what you mean? I also skip parts of sentences and have to back track and repeat the whole thing in order to make any sense.

And people use to accuse me of being hard of hearing. My hearing is fine, I can hear fluorescent lights and cheap trailer wiring! But I have to ask people to repeat themselves because I didn't understand what they just said. Sometimes its just delayed and will click a millisecond before they repeat themselves. Especially if they don't get my attention first.