How long do your obsessions usually last?

Page 1 of 3 [ 46 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

SpongeBobRocksMao
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 3:19 pm

*Title asks all*

For me, my main obsessions can last for years. I've been obsessed with SpongeBob SquarePants since 2005 and it has been my biggest ever obsession ( a good way of saying this is that since Summer 2006, there have only been 2 days where I didn't watch a full episode of SpongeBob). However, my minor obsessions usually only last about a week.

SpongeBobRocksMao!

AnnaLemma
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

22 Mar 2009, 3:35 pm

Good question. In my case some have lasted for more than 50 years, most others 5-10 years. I have rediscovered some after a hiatus of a few years.

dalcassian
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Mar 2009, 3:38 pm

Most of them come and go at about six month intervals. the really important ones are there and there forever.

curiosityofoldcrows
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Mar 2009, 3:38 pm

It depends on the intensity for me. If I obsess over 'one' thing for more that a weeks it becomes a sort of long term thing... but if it only last a few days that's about it, I move on.

Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2009, 3:49 pm

I have no obsessions. That is myth that healthy perpetuation of interests equals obsession. It is better to focus all energy on one particular goal than to need to spread energy out. That is one of reason why we are superior to neurotypicals.

2ukenkerl
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 4:20 pm

M BIG ones I guess last an average of 20 years. You COULD argue that they last forever, but it is a question of degree.

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 4:29 pm

My biggest obsession is Doctor Who. I started getting obsessed when I was 4. I'm still obsessed at 39.

My Star Wars obsession is a bit younger. I've only been obsessed with that for 32 years.

Then I have some obsessions which last one or two years (eg: Cocktail Making). I was making the best cocktails etc with only a few problems. 1. I had no friends to share it with and 2. My wife got pregnant (possibly due to the influence of the cocktails) and could no longer drink them. It's no fun drinking alone so I stopped. Unfortunately by that time I had about 100 bottles of various exotic alcoholic beverages which I'll never get through now.

and my doctor has suggested that I shouldn't drink (because I've got high blood pressure and high cholesterol).

Emor
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2009, 4:59 pm

I can only handle 1 major obsession at a time.
They all vary. My obsession with ants ended when my Mum moved my ant farm to the garage. I don't know, I didn't like spending all my time in the garage.
My obsession with Triops(Notostraca) ended when they all died.
My obsession with Tamagotchi(both plural and singular, afaik) ended when my Tamagotchi died.
My obsession with magnets ended when my computer obsession became too strong.
Now all do is go on the computer with brief obsessions which I learn about on my computer. For example, religion. Every lunch time for around a week I'd just read religious statistics. Then I got a bit bored, and moved onto reading about Anonymous(I already new a bit, but not that much), then Area 51, then Coke conspiracies, etc.
EMZ=]

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 5:52 pm

Two weeks to life-long. Usually there's an inverse relationship between length and intensity.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 5:56 pm

The Simpsons and South Park are my main obsessions, and they have been there ever since those shows premiered (19 and 12 years, respectively).

All my other interests have been around for a while as well, especially those related to my career field.

Zyborg
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Mar 2009, 5:59 pm

Only hobby which was destructive was period when I was 15-17 years old and played Starcraft very much. I was always playing as Zerg. One time, I sat up 48 hours in row.

sbcmetroguy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 6:21 pm

Mine always last at least a few months, but mostly years. My photography obsession lasted about 3 years, while my architecture and city statistics obsession have lasted since I was a teen or preteen and I'm 29 years old.

IdahoRose
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 6:45 pm

My major obsessions usually last around 2 to 3 years. My minor obsessions last anywhere from a couple of days to a couple of months.

irishaspie
Toucan
Toucan

22 Mar 2009, 6:51 pm

ive always been obsessed with history.
and now im obsessed with the show house.i watch probably a season a day or at the very least 2 episodes.
i guess when i get an obsession it sticks.

Warsie
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 6:59 pm

been a Star Wars Fan since I was 10 or 9, when I played the first Rogue Squadron game on the N64. The strength does vary, there were years when I didn't pay too much attention to it but kept my knowledge, then I increased it again,

hardcore chanfag since august 2007 and been paying attention to it since 2006, and seeing gurochan a little in 2005

what else?

garyww
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2009, 7:01 pm

Most of my obsessions (special projects) are life long if that is the proper phrase to be using since some of them weren't acquired until I was a teenager while others go back to my very early childhood. I also add new projects constantly.