Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Tyazii
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 Dec 2011, 12:59 am

Do you think depression is caused from exchange through emotional receptors in the brain?

When the average person/s see that someone is different, they usually isolate, ostracize and physically and mentally abuse this person. The subconscious part of the brain will pick up on the bad social interactions, and trigger depression. Depression, lowers the immune system and usually leaves the victim with thoughts of suicide.

Do you think that maybe, our subconscious is designed to kill us after recognizing that we are unaccepted?

Have humans evolved a mechanism that will stop the growth of any unique minority for the sake of stability?

snapcap
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 1:09 am

Tyazii wrote:
Do you think depression is caused from exchange through emotional receptors in the brain?

When the average person/s see that someone is different, they usually isolate, ostracize and physically and mentally abuse this person. The subconscious part of the brain will pick up on the bad social interactions, and trigger depression. Depression, lowers the immune system and usually leaves the victim with thoughts of suicide.

Do you think that maybe, our subconscious is designed to kill us after recognizing that we are unaccepted?

Have humans evolved a mechanism that will stop the growth of any unique minority for the sake of stability?

I think that it is a condition brought on by living in circumstances that you can't feel natural in. I'm highly doubtful a chemical imbalance is the cause of it, more like an effect of it.

Rob-N4RPS
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

30 Dec 2011, 2:53 am

snapcap wrote:
Tyazii wrote:

I think that it is a condition brought on by living in circumstances that you can't feel natural in. I'm highly doubtful a chemical imbalance is the cause of it, more like an effect of it.

I agree. The chemical imbalance is the effect, not the cause. As for the unnatural circumstances explanation, it's as good an explanation as any, and better than most any of the other explanations I've seen out there.

Have A Great Day!

Rob

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 1:24 pm

Not all depression is the same though. I can't identify any particular circumstance that caused my depression. If it is a defense mechanism it certainly isn't helpful in any way. Taking away all my motivation and making it difficult to enjoy activities that should be enjoyable certainly doesn't make it any easier to deal with life.

I'm not really the type of person that hates myself and feels sorry for myself all the time. I do have a lot of good things in my life and I have some unique talents. I think a lot of the negativity and self-loathing I experience is just due to the fact that my depression damps down my ability to experience positive emotion and since my mind can't sustain a vacuum it defaults to the negative. I think the worst symptoms are really my anhedonia/emptiness and my extremely low tolerance to stress. Those things are what generally stop me from functioning in life.

Often it seems for me like the depression is just there and there isn't necessarily a good reason for it. Sometimes there is a reason to feel down, but a lot of the time it's just emptiness - which can seem like torture when it seems there's nothing you can do to fill it or make it go away.

In summary, I don't think there's any one theory that can explain depression. Not to mention, there's more than one type of depression and even people with the same clinical diagnosis often have different primary symptoms.

Moog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 1:49 pm

I don't think necessarily it's supposed to kill you, but maybe to make changes, seek what does accept you, and you it.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

30 Dec 2011, 2:18 pm

Is depression a mechanism...

I believe it is a product / result thereof, of multiple mechanisms.
Mechanisms of which all are autonomous and beyond my control.
Nothing singular about it, depression is customarily complicated for me.