Are you private about your obsessions, away from this Site?

Page 1 of 3 [ 36 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:45 pm

Even though I tend to ramble on about my Obsessions at Wrong Planet, I hardley talk about them, in real life. When I'm with my Family, I either talk about the News, what interests them, or I don't talk at all. I find that I'm a little more open, at my Clubhouse, but not by much, and not as much as I was, durring the first four months of the year. I haven't mentioned a word to my Mom, about London, in five months. I don't like to leave that stuff out in the open, for Family Members to pick at. Why should I talk to my folks about my Obsessions? I'll just be told to shut-up. The Clubhouse members that I went to Victoria, BC with and I were talking about what we've learned about each other. I was amazed that most of the members have just learned about my recent Obsession. I tend to be hush-hush about Red Glory, when I'm away from this Site, or the Flikr Site. I need to go on a tangent about my Obsessions, and this is the only place that I can do so. The only time that I go on a London Tangent, away from this site, is if I'm drunk. I don't drink very often, which is good.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:47 pm

Quiet about some of them here, but vocal about the ones I am the most fascinated with.

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:51 pm

There are some obsessions that I have, that belong in the Mature Forum. I don't talk about those, here.

DrowningMedusa
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:53 pm

If I'm given a chance, I'll go on about most of my obsessions to whoever wants to hear about it... Of course, to those I'm comfortable with... not to strangers.

I don't talk to strangers. Forced, mechanical small-talk doesn't count as talking, to me.

werbert
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 8:54 pm

Yes, I usually don't like talking in the real world, except for a steady stream of smart remarks.

Come to think of it, that pretty much describes me here, too.

Dart
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Oct 2006, 8:58 pm

I discuss a few of my interests with family and close friends, but most of them remain completely confidential.

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 9:02 pm

Every sentence I say off of the internet must have the word "Sephiroth". I can avoid saying that word as long as I say "blood", Garlic", or "1337" in its place. Because of this, I hardly ever say anything, and the only friends I have are either on the Autistic spectrum, or they love Sephiroth

Raph522
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 9:02 pm

i am quiet about my obsessions in both places.(or at least i think i am)

diseased
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 9:07 pm

I tend to suppress it somewhat because not everyone's interested in 3D, Formula 1/cars/racing in general, military aviation, viral pathology (note: not a good dinner conversation topic, especially in re filovirii), etc. etc. etc.
The eyes-glazed, slackjawed and drooling is usually a good giveaway that I've been babbling.

markaudette
Veteran
Veteran

18 Oct 2006, 11:39 pm

I try to be open about my obsessions on this site but I am especially private about myself away from this site and in the public.

I just don't have anyone to talk to about the way I am. In truth, no one cares. They all have their own problems. And unless I talked with another AS person or someone that knows a fellow ASer, I wouldn't have any common ground with anyone.

So, it's just me...

19 Oct 2006, 12:33 am

I have been private too about what I'm really into but I have mentioned it a few times on here in the fetishes threads. Also a good way to scare away men when i don't want them anymore lol but I just have to hope they would mind it. If they did, then the method wouldn't work. But I've used my story site (which I won't share because the stories are unusual and weird) to scare away semeone on here. I know I scared him away because we were arguing thru PM and then I showed him the link and bam he shuts up and he said he would answer my other questions he ignored when he is done with studying and all but he never did so i know I scared him away which was my intention to.

Last edited by likedcalico on 19 Oct 2006, 8:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CanyonWind
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 1:24 am

That's pretty clever, likedcalico.

I've learned it's usually not a good idea to talk about the stuff that interests me, So I usually don't have much to say. Now and then, not very often, I run into somebody with a common interest, and then it's really fun to talk.

Well thank you buddy for your advice...
-Malvina

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 4:34 am

I've been taught that it's bad to have Obsessions, when I was in my Early Teens. That it wasn't healthy to get "Hooked" on things. I've really felt like a Nut Case, as a Fourteen Year Old. I've been hiding my Obsessions from my Parents, since I was in my Early Teens. It was hard to hide the Hippie one, because I used to dress in Hippie Fashion, at the ages of 17 to 19. I've managed to hide my other Obsessions from my Parents and the only thing that I've said about London, is that I'd go there, if I won the Lottery. I've said that more often than I should have, but that was mostly the only thing I've really told her about London, over the past twelve years. I've told her about the Routemaster twice in ten months, only to be asked what a Routemaster was, with a very sarcastic, Roseanne Connor undertone to her voice. That killed my plan to open up and bond with my Folks, after they haven't known me for nearly twelve years. Since I'm bad at lying, I just show my Mom every Bus that I buy, and that's the closest that I get to talking about my "Flavour of The Year." The best part, is that I don't have to say a word. I have dilogues in my Mind with family members, about London. I just don't want to be annoying, so I keep them in my Head. That's what makes up the voices in my Head, but they're healthy voices, because I work out the things in my Mind, what I can't work out with my own Kin. Is it healthy for me to hold my Obsessions in, like that?

Tekneek
Toucan
Toucan

19 Oct 2006, 5:24 am

I don't talk much unless I am with those whom I am totally comfortable with.

Lightning88
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 7:47 am

Ironically, I don't really talk about them here but I often talk about them in person to people I know, or sales people at stores. As long as I know they'll listen and they can't escape, I'll talk to them about it.

pluto
Veteran
Veteran

19 Oct 2006, 12:56 pm

If the obsession is about a sensible subject (and I think London easily comes into that
category) then I don't see any harm in mentioning it now and again. My own interests tend
to be more general,like the history of Roman Britain,but I slip things into conversations if I
can find a relevant link to introduce it.
I've also had some silly obsessions that were just solitary pursuits.I used to play 'pretend' football matches by using telephone directories,but I won't bore you with the details !