Abnormal breathing pattern-"sobbing breaths"?

Page 2 of 2 [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

unduki
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2012, 1:25 pm

pensieve wrote:
Sometimes I have to consciously remind myself how to breathe. Like go through the steps. Sometimes it's scary other times I just think I have such a bad memory I can't even remember how to breathe properly. I used to wake up with shallow breathing. I think that was stress related.

I went through a long period of that. I was getting extra-bad migraines (impossibly bad) and I traced it to my breathing. I thought I was loosing my mind until I started reading about breathing therapists. This is a real thing. I can't afford to get any outside help so I did the next best thing and did it myself. I had self-sessions where I practiced my breathing and every night before going to sleep, I still do another breathing exercise I developed for myself. I'm sleeping better than ever since beginning my self-treatment and the headaches are rare.

I was constantly reminding myself to exhale when I bent over but now I exhale without thinking, most of the time, and I can never hold my breath. I even quit swimming!! because I couldn't work out how to do it without holding my breath. I've been thinking on it and I'm going to give it another try now that the breathing/headache issues have calmed down. I am so out of shape.

Khyrean
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

19 Jun 2012, 4:47 pm

I breathe very shallowly when I am concentrating on something - from playing piano to trying to follow a conversation - and inhale very deeply from time to time inbetween. People then usually ask me if everything is all right or if I am sad/distressed.
I have to add that I am in no way suffering from depression or (clinical) anxiety, I just forget to breathe normally when my mind is occupied with something.
Sometimes I breathe in and don't remember to have been breathing at all the last few minutes - I just guess I have been because I'm still conscious.

It seems similar to what others here described, but I have no comparison with NT people; maybe they do that, too...