How would you explain aspergers to someone??

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Belushi87
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 May 2012, 3:04 am

whenever i get the chance to explain to people that i have Aspergers, how would i tell them what it is?
and how would i explain that i work with a support worker three days a week?

i'm wondering because whenever i get a boyfriend, i want to tell him at the beginning of the relationship, but i wouldnt know how to appoach him and explain it to him.

Verdandi
Veteran
Veteran

Location: University of California Sunnydale (fictional location - Real location Olympia, WA)

02 May 2012, 3:11 am

I've found that I really can't explain it concisely.

What I do is try to find the relevant points and describe those - usually sensory sensitivities, shutdowns, and particular elements of social difficulties.

AspieOtaku
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 3:41 am

It tends to be rather difficult for me to explain to people especially when most people don't understand what it is so I bring up HFA strangely enough more people understand that but do not understand AS. Luckily enough or unluckily enough I have both. Since AS is pretty much a sub-category of HFA it is easier to explain to them that way. :roll:

No matter where I go I will always be a Gaijin even at home. Like Anime? https://kissanime.to/AnimeList

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 4:29 am

I would say it's a forum of autism and then go on telling them your symptoms.

Heidi80
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 4:36 am

League_Girl wrote:
I would say it's a forum of autism and then go on telling them your symptoms.
Same here

CornerPuzzlePieces
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2012, 4:36 am

"I am not of this earth. Human."

:)

faithfilly
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 6:59 am

Aspergers can only be explained to people who want to know. Even then, for some it can take a long time before they can begin to grasp some understanding. Intelligence levels also have a lot to do with their ability to comprehend.

Personally, I stick with the concise definition of Aspergers ---> "Aspergers = THINK differently"

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 7:06 am

Verdandi wrote:

What I do is try to find the relevant points and describe those - usually sensory sensitivities, shutdowns, and particular elements of social difficulties.

i like the above. sometimes i say it's a learning disability in the area of social functioning.

psychegots
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 May 2012, 7:49 am

CornerPuzzlePieces wrote:
"I am not of this earth. Human."

:)

:lol: I think that is how you explain being psychotic!

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 8:50 am

Verdandi wrote:

^ this is what i do whenever the topic comes up; if they want to know more, i ask them to give specific questions i can answer.
if you want them to truly understand, direct them to wrong planet and tell them to read around (i did this to one or 2 people, but i didn't disclose my screenname on here, i like my anonymity)

AardvarkGoodSwimmer
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 11:00 am

Belushi87 wrote:
. . . i'm wondering because whenever i get a boyfriend, i want to tell him at the beginning of the relationship, but i wouldnt know how to appoach him and explain it to him.

Because of some past relationships which didn't really work out I've decided that a future partner needs to understand that I need a lot of alone time. For example, I like to take long walks (from 1 to 2 hours). It's one method I use to emotionally process.

Rascal77s
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2012, 1:04 pm

Belushi87 wrote:
whenever i get the chance to explain to people that i have Aspergers, how would i tell them what it is?
and how would i explain that i work with a support worker three days a week?

i'm wondering because whenever i get a boyfriend, i want to tell him at the beginning of the relationship, but i wouldnt know how to appoach him and explain it to him.

I would explain it by making them watch this movie, the whole thing. Christopher Lamberts character explains coping with NT culture much better than I can. Here is a clip from the movie.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LV0ondJXMs[/youtube]