Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2012, 10:37 am

I remember when I was young I used to spin around until I fell into the couch laughing gleefully. I am now at an age where falling isn't a good idea, and am looking for a way to safely spin around. Does anyone make an adult sized version of the "sit & spin"? are there any designs for such a contraption floating around on the 'net?

DogOfJudah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2012, 10:50 am

Get an swively office chair, take the wheels off the bottom and back rest off.

Jobs a good un :D

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 10:56 am

Can't remember what they're called, but you can get rotating seat pads for people who have reduced mobility.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 11:09 am

I have used a sit and spin before and I can fit myself on it and spin myself around just fine. I was the size of an adult when I used one as an adolescent.

E27
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

06 May 2012, 12:49 pm

Maybe you could alter a normal sit and spin so that it has a larger less likely to tip over bass. You could probably do this by just screwing a piece of plywood to the base.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 1:11 pm

That sounds awesome! I love going in circles like that. My favorite ride at the carnival is the Tilt-A-Whirl.

You know, I bet if somebody did manufacture something like that in adult size, a lot of people would buy it, not just folks on the spectrum. One of those big bouncy balls you hop around on with the two handles would be great in adult size too.

I saw that someone suggested a spinny office chair and thats a good idea too. One thing you might consider is one of those small rolling doctors stools that they have in the doctor's office and the emergency room. Every time we go either place, one of my kids always gets on it and starts spinning around holding their feet up.

Sometimes I do too.

The link to the forum is http://www.rightplanet.proboards.com

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2012, 1:39 pm

I'm playing with the idea of taking two pieces of wood and using a "lazy susan" bearings for the working part : http://www.amazon.com/500mm-Aluminum-Be ... s_indust_1

putting a pole and handle in the middle would be more complected, but should be do-able with a drill and jigsaw, but if I'm going to go that far, I'd also want to make the pieces of wood round, and paint them. :bounce:

Tamsin
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2012, 4:20 pm

If they did I would buy, like, 10 of them, but as it is I just use an office chair. It's basically the same thing.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 4:25 pm

I would spin around, but just the thought of it makes me feel nauseus. :eew:

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 5:34 pm

+1 for Tilt-a-whirl. Spinning rides another spectrumite trait? When I go to Disney I head straight for the Teacups, only they were supposed to have slowed them down since the last time I went, I couldn't deal with the disappointment of a lackluster ride.

There's 1 they have at local carnivals and the county fair; the Scrambler, sits level to the ground and has a rotating beam overhead, which carries rotating gondolas on each end, so in conjunction with the spinning you get slammed side to side in the gondola. It's like a mosh pit without having to exert the effort or getting people's beer and sweat on you :D

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 7:44 pm

2wheels4ever wrote:
+1 for Tilt-a-whirl. Spinning rides another spectrumite trait? When I go to Disney I head straight for the Teacups, only they were supposed to have slowed them down since the last time I went, I couldn't deal with the disappointment of a lackluster ride.

There's 1 they have at local carnivals and the county fair; the Scrambler, sits level to the ground and has a rotating beam overhead, which carries rotating gondolas on each end, so in conjunction with the spinning you get slammed side to side in the gondola. It's like a mosh pit without having to exert the effort or getting people's beer and sweat on you :D

I know the scrambler very well. It rocks! I like the spider too, (it's sometimes called the octopus) it's like the scrambler except it goes up in the air and tilts and has sudden drops. What I do not like are rrides that go upside down.

On a related note, you know what I'd like to see? A playground built for adults. A lot of people my age, NT's as well as us, like to play on the playground equipment. You can do it if you have a young child to take to the park, but if you go alone people think you are either some sort of predator or really high. It could have all the standard playground equiptment, swings, slide, see-saw, merry go round, monkey bars, but built a little bigger to accomodate adults. It must just be my generation that holds on to parts of perpetual childhood because when I was a kid I don't remember any adults ever wanting to swing or play on the merry go round or slide or see saw or anything like that. Almost everybody I know who is my age will gladly swing or take turns pushing the merry go round.

Seriously, if somebody finds a way to make an adult sit n spin, you should see if you can patent it and sell it to a company. For real, it would sell.

CuriousKitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 May 2012, 8:26 pm

I doubt I could get a patent on it -- not enough difference from what is already out there . . but I could copyright the design and detailed how-to that anyone with a drill and jigsaw could follow.

OliveOilMom
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 8:41 pm

CuriousKitten wrote:
I doubt I could get a patent on it -- not enough difference from what is already out there . . but I could copyright the design and detailed how-to that anyone with a drill and jigsaw could follow.

There ya go! You could sell the plans online.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 8:51 pm

Octopus freaked me out being up in the air with all those drops. The one up-in-the air ride I can handle is the chair swing, like the one on Dave Matthews Band 'Under The Table and Dreaming' CD cover. Gives me a good adrenaline bump

When I landed on this thread I thought of the old merry-go-rounds, I was talking to a relative about them not too long ago. Too many people must have sued the parks, I can hardly remember the last time I saw any actual playground equipment, everything's all plastic these days. A real pity. I think an adult sized playground is a good idea, there might be less shootings and stabbings going on. I listen to The Jesus Show on the talk radio (one of my 'noise breakers' and the host will often mention when someone calls in with an addiction related comment; that humans look for all sorts of things to alter their consciousness, beginning with children spinning in circles. I used to mourn lost childhood but since lately I feel allowed to be who I always was, finding this site was for me a wonderland of insight, leading me to experience an extended childhood. Then again that could stem from when I became born again :) /ramble

The city where I live has a special park operated by the city, with a small admission fee and the rule that all adults must be accompanied by a minor. I thought that was cute when I read it, alas they have no old style stuff except for the swings there

My brain is grabbing the tiger's tail of this adult playground idea and taking it for a ride, I'm a decent enough welder that I could take the metal scraps I find and build the stuff, then maybe rent a warehouse and set it all up and decorate it. The major advantage would be never having to worry about the rain!

I went to a Sport Chalet once and they had adult sized Green Machines and Whiz Wheels available. I would offer that if a Sit N Spin is unable to be had, a Whiz Wheel would probably be a good practical alternative