An obsession that you DON'T want to be obsessed with?

Page 1 of 5 [ 65 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 9:16 am

I have experienced this before. The obsession I have now is one I don't mind having, but the obsession I had a few years ago was one I knew deep down I didn't really want, and looking back I feel really embarrassed about it now.

Last edited by Joe90 on 06 May 2012, 12:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ames76
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 May 2012, 11:28 am

My obsession is currently NASCAR...as it always is during the season. I'm obsessed with the sport as a whole, and one particular driver. I have no problem with it, I enjoy it, but my husband and daughter have both mentioned it to me. My daughter even told me I was obsessed with my driver, and she is 7. Hubby just gets pissy when I change the channel to something NASCAR related. :roll:

legomyego
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 May 2012, 11:30 am

Fenster wrote:
World politics and the lack of coverage by "mainstream" media.
I want Morpheus to give me the other pill.

haha this =)

slave
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 7:03 pm

Guineapigged wrote:
My main obsession is one that is causing me trouble at the moment. It's making me so depressed and even though I'm addicted to it, I wish I wasn't so obsessed, if that makes sense. At the moment it's not an enjoyable experience. I am doing the research and making lists because I feel like I have to, not because I want to. I'm hoping that eventually I will start to enjoy it again.

I also get obsessed with death from time to time, which can be a pretty big problem.

May I ask the object of your obsession?

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 7:11 pm

One of my special interests, about 2 years ago, was a teacher. I felt uncomfortable having a special interest in him, it eventually faded. I didn't "stalk" him or do anything that made him uncomfortable at all, as I asked and he said no.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Bun
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 7:33 pm

Shambles wrote:
Recently, my friend mentioned how I reminded her of Sheldon from 'The Big Bang Theory'. Prior to this, I had never watched the show due to my lack of interest in American comedy. However after watching two episodes I'm hooked, I'm especially fascinated by Sheldon's character . . . I don't want to be obsessed with the show, but I can't help it.

Is this abnormal? Has anyone else ever experienced this?

I feel that way about The Cure, it's like I almost want to know more about them, and then I think 'No!! !! Another band!! ! It'll be time-consuming!', so RN I like them, but I'm mostly ignorant about them, I probably don't know more songs than anyone else who's reading this thread now.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 8:05 pm

NeueZiel wrote:
I'm obsessed with idea of the cutest, sweetest looking face ever which makes many question my sexual preferences and label me a pedo. I just don't like harsh, sultry sexy Angelina Jolie types and it goes more beyond me liking pretty girls..I obsess over types of noses, teeth etc. I don't hate it, I just get REALLY mad at people who tell me I'm like a nazi or something.

I've run with that one, in addition to being a 'face' guy, it's being out in public and seeing black nylon or spandex, and if they're wearing flats or Maryjanes, my brain almost overrides whether their face is attractive enough or not to mindplay the whole "I see/I Like/ I approach/I'll be rejected anyway' sequence.

When I am alone in the small hours and artificially fornicating, lately I've been zooming in on that part of the leg where the shin meets the ankle. I've always liked certain leg coverings, shapes and been a retifist, but this particular area confounds me. I don't see it ever screaming to get out if I were to get into another live relationship but while this is all going on I keep wondering 'OK how do I explain this one if it ever does get to that stage?'

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2012, 9:21 pm

belly button lint. i am going through withdrawal because i haven't seen any in so long.

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 12:34 am

hyperlexian wrote:
belly button lint. i am going through withdrawal because i haven't seen any in so long.

You would think with all the bunnyhug wearing in that place of haute couture there would be, in any case an 'outie' would be Sure Outta Luck. Would a poster of an early-80s-era April Wine singer Myles Goodwin suffice as a placeholder for the lint?

As with flying, I have an unusal love/fear relationship with Canadiana

hyperlexian
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 12:42 am

^^^ :lol: we call them "hoodies" in my city. they would make awesome lint, yes. *sigh*. girls don't really make lint - belly fur seems to be a prerequisite. :cry:

i didn't know myles goodwin was canadian!! !! i am from alberta, the birthplace of k.d.lang

2wheels4ever
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 2:24 am

OMG, same age as me and not knowing more about them, and me being a 'murricun!

I figured Canadians thought of April Wine as their Aerosmith, or the Tragically Hip of the 70s-80s

But MG was born in NB, when he joined the original band it was a pair of brothers and a cousin. They started out in Halifax and when they got established based themselves in Montreal, He lived in the Bahamas in the late 1990s according to Wiki

From Calgary you;ve got Loverboy, they ended up in Van after they took off
Only other thing I know about Sweet City is where You Can't Do That On Television was filmed

Other unwanted obsession? Not following clocks and calendars, even though I just have to be early to everything

winterishere
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 May 2012, 4:26 am

brillant topic thread!
Yes, I have had an obsession for 2 years now, it has taken me over... I never wanted it. I have wrecked relationships, manipulated others, forfeitted things that are important to me all to chase the collection of knowledge concerning it.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 7:59 am

Obsessions takes too much time/money/space, but it seems all Aspies are cursed to have them. I could mention many, many obsessions, but I wont. I will however mention one I have in relation to the topic starter.

I have watched the entire show of Buffy the Vampire Slayer in one big marathon, and I have done so with other shows I fancied aswell. I cant do it anymore, with wife and kids, but I still have the urge to do it. I manage to suppress it somewhat these days, and stick to 20 or so shows I'm up to date on, and watch 1-2 episodes each night with my wife. 20 may seem like a big number, but with 10 on hiatus at all times, and only 1 episode per week, its only 10 episodes to watch each week, which is managable.

I do watch myself so I dont get hooked on too many shows, cause I have been down that road before.

TBBT is one of the shows I follow, its awesome! :D

Wandering_Stranger
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2012, 8:11 am

Blownmind wrote:
Obsessions takes too much time/money/space,

This is the problem I'm having at the moment. Current obsessions include film and music. Both of which cost me money.

ddanne
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

07 May 2012, 5:38 pm

Yes, last year I had the worst obsession: Serial killers.
Which led me to the psychologist, and then I got the diagnosis.
I have an obsession with the number 18 since about 5 or 6 years ago.
I'm trying not to think about it, because I get extremely... odd, and if it's in public, WORSE. I get the classic autism look: writing the number, while rocking, while talking to myself, and sometimes humming. I can't hear anything but what is inside my head. My sister worries very much when it happens. I wish I could erase this obsession too.
My obsessions tend to be too extreme.

-Ray Bradbury, Dandelion Wine

MiatheMutant
Raven
Raven

07 May 2012, 8:11 pm

ddanne wrote:
Yes, last year I had the worst obsession: Serial killers.
Which led me to the psychologist, and then I got the diagnosis.
I have an obsession with the number 18 since about 5 or 6 years ago.
I'm trying not to think about it, because I get extremely... odd, and if it's in public, WORSE. I get the classic autism look: writing the number, while rocking, while talking to myself, and sometimes humming. I can't hear anything but what is inside my head. My sister worries very much when it happens. I wish I could erase this obsession too.
My obsessions tend to be too extreme.

I have the serial killer obsession, too. I think it's wonderful, if only because there's plenty of material available about it and it can easily branch off into something else if I start to get bored. It's also fun to sit on a bench at my university and compare the people who walk by with murderers I've read about. I have some amazing hobbies. :lol:

Undiagnosed: marginal costs > marginal benefits